Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Please Update Us On HM Upgrades

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Kitru
09.08.2012 , 06:14 AM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by grallmate View Post
LI is great because a full Campaign group still wipes if they ignore mechanics. Just tuning a HM for a Columi+ group does not make it a T2, it means that its just over geared slightly later than the T1s. Ikoral and the flag droid have potential to become T2, Prophet of Vodal Kresh or the last boss in Colicoid War Game: not so much.
Purely increasing the hp/damage on a boss isn't all that the developers could/would do for all of the bosses out there, especially if they played on bumping them up to T2 HMs.

Colicoid could feasibly be turned into an H2 simply by virtue of making the puzzles more timing intensive (forcing people to jump off of the turrets to take on a champion as a group that spawns during the turret events; faster respawn on the KB trash and CDs on button clicking for the hazard courses). The final boss could have some more vicious mechanics added (causing the reticules to leave permanent doom patches on the ground to create soft enrage coupled with mobility decrease; add a quick "interrupt or a random character dies" attack; add a stacking DoT that needs to be cleansed from the tank or else s/he dies), and you'd be well on your way.

For the Prophet, imagine if the fires never faded and placed a debuff on the target that caused them to slow down over time, forcing the use of a separate mechanic that extinguished the flames (like dragging the flames into a new ability the boss uses that places an angry purple reticule on the ground that kills anything in them when they go off, including the normally unkillable flames). That, right there, could be enough to make the fight T2 difficult, but, if more is needed, add a really painful DoT that can't be cleansed and requires 2-3 consecutive interrupts in order to have it not stack up to be even worse. The first and second bosses could be made harder and more mechanic intensive by having each different set of NPCs that spawn (potentially randomized rather than predictable for higher diff) have a discrete and distinct mechanic that has to be handled differently (think Kephess's buddies between Baradium Bombers): one spawn could require the adds be killed simultaneously or else they cause the others to explode and deal damage to the entire area equal to their remaining health, another type of spawn places a buff on the boss when it dies that requires the adds be killed in a staggered manner to force the debuff to drop before you kill another one and it stacks up more than once (and causes what amounts to a wipe condition if it stacks up more than once), still another could require that the adds be tanked away from the boss, forcing a DPS to tank the boss or the adds while the tank takes on the other one. Given a bit more time, I could come up with even more. The potential chaos factor combined with the specific strategy to deal with the different trash spawns would *easily* push these fights into the T2 HM difficulty range.

The trick with upgrading the existing FPs into the T2 range is creative reimagining of existing mechanics and concepts rather than it is just cranking up numbers; the leveling FPs are simple by design to allow players without their full skill suites to complete them without problems (the leveling FPs that you can do while leveling are more akin to downleveled and nerfed versions of the HMs than they are upgraded versions of the leveling FPs). The advantage is that it's still a lot easier than simply building a new FP from scratch (not having to write a new story, new voice acting, new models/geometry), and a lot of people dig the nostalgia/high-low-level-similarity aspect, not to mention that people get exposed to the basic boss/trash strategies while they're leveling so that the learning curve is easier. I'd really love to see the developers actually upgrade these since I've always enjoyed doing them if I can when I level (which is generally problematic since the population of characters leveling at any point in time even on populated servers isn't exactly stellar so that you're as likely to outlevel an FP before you get a group for it as you are to actually get your group finder to activate). The stories are interesting and the fights are fun. Having that content languish because the game is more focused on the endgame now that the population has matured (in the level sense rather than the behavioral sense) compared to release is a waste of the resources spent on them in the first place.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

KarethRiker
09.10.2012 , 10:29 AM | #32
Kitru, you are a genius! But seriously, he nailed it in his approach.

Would love to see the small mechanics changes of the type described above to make these viable as new content.

AshlaBoga
09.18.2012 , 11:51 PM | #33
I know NOTHING about video game coding, so I'm being sincere when I ask: is it hard to create a HM version of a flashpoint when all you're doing is making the npcs 50, increasing their health and dps and adding an enrage timer?
Typhojem Legacy, Jung Ma server
VICIOUS
Lord of Corruption
Click my Referral Code for free goodies!

Llama-Eight
09.19.2012 , 05:49 AM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by AshlaBoga View Post
I know NOTHING about video game coding, so I'm being sincere when I ask: is it hard to create a HM version of a flashpoint when all you're doing is making the npcs 50, increasing their health and dps and adding an enrage timer?
Read Kitru's post 2 posts above, that's not all they should be doing, they should be adding some interesting/challenging mechanics to the HM versions that aren't present in SM, but logically flow out of the SM fights.

orpheus
09.19.2012 , 08:21 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by Maxiim View Post
I never understood why they were never made BEFORE launch.
because those FPs were added very late in Development. I remember reading somewhere that they added them to fill in the "gaps"

KarethRiker
09.20.2012 , 04:29 PM | #36
Except for Kaon and of course Lost Island

Hopefully they have done some work on these but just aren't ready to announce anything.