Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PSA for "mdps" LFG spammers

ViciousFett
08.23.2012 , 03:31 PM | #11
Thread got a little derailed. I know good melee players are good, but they're usually not the ones in general spamming "LFG mdps". If I was them, I'd just say "dps", or "marauder", not mdps.
The Vicious Legacy
My referral link
CE VIP

mikebevo
08.23.2012 , 03:39 PM | #12
Actually I would rather see the spam mdps LFG than some of the stuff about American political I see there. If have to read spam at least this is about the game.

But I get your point. Don't worry I never do it. I will run HM FP PUGs with group finder, but I have never spammed lfg in main chat, guild and alliance chat sometimes but not general.

Khevar
08.23.2012 , 04:13 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Powerrmongerr View Post

Zorn/Toth: Murderously more difficult for melee dps as it comes to Zorn (basically impossible on hardmode). As to Toth, mildly to moderately more difficult.

I understand most of the points you're making, but you're wildly exaggerating the problems melee dps face. "basically impossible on hard mode"?

My guild is melee dps heavy and we run all the content in the game. Perhaps I've had the good luck to only be grouped with players who really know their class well, but its silly to say things like "basically impossible" when HM EC can be cleared by a melee-heavy group like ours.

FourTwent
08.23.2012 , 04:34 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by ViciousFett View Post
The term "rdps" was created because ranged dps is preferable in most operation/flash point situations, especially when in a pug. The reason for this is it's often easier to tank and heal when the dps aren't getting hit with AOE damage from bosses. (see LR-5 or Heavy Fabricator). This isn't to say melee classes are bad, in fact marauder assassin and powertech(and their republic counterparts) can out dps the rest, but it usually makes for a smoother run without them.

Having said that, it's a bit of a mystery to me why people have now taken to spamming general chat with "mdps LFG" etc. I appreciate your honesty, but you should know that isn't helping you find a group.

Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.
Funny you title this PSA, because thats just what they're doing. Letting you know that they are a Melee DPS. I'd rather you know I'm melee before you invite me, than figure it out after and then you decide to kick me. . .or rag on me because im not rangeed.

grallmate
08.23.2012 , 06:09 PM | #15
IMO most of the time you see rDPS is because you need a rDPS. If you already have 3 melee DPS for KP you don't want a 4th or you're screwed for the Fabricator. Sometimes people just want an easy (lol) run through LI and it is noticeably easier with ranged DPS.

There are NO situations I have come across where melee DPS (and I mean melee and not Mara/Sent) are easier than ranged.

Ranged advantages:
- Faster target switching
- Less damage taken from AoE
- Able to execute mechanics (ie activate panels in Bulwark) without losing much DPS uptime

Melee advantages:
- Fewer cast/channeled abilities means greater DPS during high movement phases

Fights that are noticeably easier with ranged DPS:
- Lorrick
- LR-5
- Turret in Kaon
- Jarg
- Fabricator
- Gharj
- Toth & Zorn
- Bulwark (pre 1.3 anyway, increased enrage timer pretty much negates the difference)
- Trandoshan miniboss in FE
- Jindo
- Boss with reflect shield in BoI (Can't remember his name)

I am not saying that you can't clear all content in the game with all melee DPS. But many fights require significantly different strategies or more coordination when using melee heavy groups and it often puts more stress on the healer(s). Arguably having the DPS all near the tank makes Sage healers life easier but ranged can stand close enough to benefit so this is not a melee advantage.

DracJedi
08.24.2012 , 11:29 AM | #16
Why is it considered harder to dps the fabricator as mdps? I don't have any problem doing it and I have much faster uptime with my highend damage abilities because of focus generation.

mikebevo
08.24.2012 , 12:57 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by DracJedi View Post
Why is it considered harder to dps the fabricator as mdps? I don't have any problem doing it and I have much faster uptime with my highend damage abilities because of focus generation.
I would also like to know what is so hard on Jarg. I'm sorry I read everything that said don't do it, but Wednesday night in my first NIM KP, I got stuck on Jarg because we had too much mDPS. I just knew this spelled wipe because everything I read said it was extremely difficult. However, if you don't count a /stuck wipe because a healer and tank DC, we one shotted it. Jarg even died first. This was with 2 really great DPS players on Sorno and a great rDPS on Jarg and me a very average mDPS player. All I did on the fire is back up and use Project and Force Breach. Then moved forward and continued my rotation. So I don't consider it difficult at all.

I thought about this last night. I do spam BH and Ilum during dailies at times on my Sawbones with "squishy healer lfg for CtS or Darkness". Normally no one answers and I just go solo them, but a few times I got an invite and the group was a little shocked to see a fully modified BH in Rakata shells with augments Healer show up.

Raltar
08.24.2012 , 02:40 PM | #18
People try to blow the whole thing out of proportion to try and get undeserved buffs or unjustified nerfs to ranged dps classes. You have to be slightly more aware as a melee DPS, but there is no fight impossible with pure melee as long as people aren't half retarded and know what they are doing.

grallmate
08.24.2012 , 06:49 PM | #19
Fabricator is harder with all melee DPS because your puzzle solvers can't contribute DPS on the boss.

Jarg is harder with melee DPS because flame sweep hits like a freight train.

Also, please remember this is about MELEE DPS not MARAUDER DPS. You need to consider Shadows, Scoundrels, Guardians and Vanguards. Individual classes have benefits but melee as a whole does not.

Again, I didn't say it was impossible. I said it was harder. There have been 4 melee DPS clears of HM EC. It requires much more coordination but its doable. However, LFG is usually for PUGs who don't HAVE that level of coordination, hence why rDPS is preferred.

Chaqen
08.24.2012 , 07:42 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by grallmate View Post
Fabricator is harder with all melee DPS because your puzzle solvers can't contribute DPS on the boss.
Usually have a healer and 1 dps dedicated to doing the buttons, while the other 3 dps are on the bottom with 100% uptime. Carnage marauders and concealment operatives are the best dps to use to click buttons due to the faster in-combat run speed.

Sorry for derailing the original topic, but half of the crap that is being said is just bad information being spread about.