Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Powertech tanking?

christhesithlord
08.23.2012 , 08:52 AM | #1
I am planning on making a powertech alt. Are powertechs (speced in tanking) good for tanking?
Subscribe or subscribe not, there is no free
CE Pre-Orderer
CE VIP
Non-Stop Subscriber since December 15th, 2011

SgtKlavier
08.23.2012 , 09:09 AM | #2
With the proper gear, any tanking class is good for tanking; a preference for style of play associated with a class is what should determine your choice.

Personally, I like powertechs for their versatility (more ranged/aoe tools) and more stable mitigation (more hits but less damage per hit). If you like that I'd say go for it. I haven't played the other tanking classes so I'm not sure exactly what play styles they cater to.

Kitru
08.23.2012 , 09:47 AM | #3
As said before, all of the tanks are perfectly effective, assuming you're using them correctly (a Shadow that just spams Double Strike isn't going to be an effective tank, nor is a PT that ignores Rocket Punch in favor of Power Shot). I've got one of each of the tanks and, in my opinion, PT/VGs are, by far, the simplest to tank with. You don't really have any abilities to maintain, other than your Absorb stacks (which you should be generating with ease anyway by using your attacks properly) and, potentially, keeping your Smoke Grenade/Oil Slick on CD. Most of your survivability is passive (the highest k/e DR amongst all of the tanks and naturally high shield and abs) so most of your survivability work is done when you've gotten the proper spec and have decent gear. I've run with pug VG tanks that never got more than 1 stack of their Absorb buff up and, even though I constantly facepalmed at them, they didn't really have a problem surviving the content. The only "hard" part about tanking on a VG/BH is proper resource maintenance: if you generate too much heat/use up too much ammo, you're gonna have a hell of a time keeping aggro and dishing out damage. As long as you don't let your Heat/Ammo raise/drop below half, you should be fine.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

alifaraaz
08.23.2012 , 04:29 PM | #4
I find my PT to be extremely fun to play that's for certain I guess it's not something I should be proud of lol, but PT's are very easy to play, very simple priority rotation required.

How good we are, just as good as the others. Better in some scenarios worse in others, but overall, awesome :P Having a few ranged moves, even if doing very little damage, is very useful in both PvE and PvP.
Kazar - Powertech, [Tomb of Freedom Nadd EU]

stephenjohnp
08.31.2012 , 09:17 PM | #5
I have a Vanguard/Assassin/Juggernaut Tank and all of them are perfectly viable.

Though in order for Flashpoints I'd say:

Assassin>Vanguard>Juggernaut

And for Operations I'd say:

Juggeranut>Vanguard>Assassin

Though the difference is minimal.