Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Endgame PvE Crafting Skills Pros/Cons

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Endgame PvE Crafting Skills Pros/Cons

xGBox
08.23.2012 , 06:51 AM | #1
Hi, I just wanted to give you a large outlook along with a list of pros and cons of all the crafting skills for when you reach around Tier 2 PvE content. I spent a bit of time theorycrafting between the six crafting skills (I have all of them at 400 with extensive use of every one) and the list below should highlight the perks of them.

The text for the crafting skills are just food for thought; the pros/cons are aimed to be the definitive positive and negative attributes of the crafting skill in regards to Tier 2 Endgame PvE.

Please give feedback, especially if you feel there is a bit of bias within the list (I'm pretty biased by nature ). Let me know and I will make any corrections. Thank you!

---

Armormech

This, along with Synthweathing, is one of the least useful of the crafting skills. A majority of people do not like the design of the Tier 2 outfits (although the Trooper set is pretty cool imo). The shells, bracers, and belts require using grade 8 materials such as Synthetic Energy Matrix and Molecular Stabilizer, which could be better utilized on other modifications that provide beneficial stats. Campaign bracers and belts are also inferior to moddable ones, as the moddable bracers and belts can be fine-tuned to your specific role. The custom shell will be viable forever and can be upgraded in increments.

If Armormech was profitable (it's really not, at the moment), the most valuable Campaign items to RE and craft would be the shells for the Head and Feet, as they can only be obtained from HM Kephess and the Nightmare Pilgrim. And even if they were valuable, it would only be for aesthetic reasons.

The only saving grace of Armormech users is the ability to craft Augments appealing to all Tech-based classes and some tanks.

Pros
  • RE and craft Campaign Tech-based armor shells, bracers, and belts
  • Craft Augmentation Kits MK-6 and Augments 22: +Absorption, +Aim, +Cunning, +Shield

Cons
  • Not cost-effective to craft armoring shells
  • Moddable bracers and belts are better than Campaign bracers and belts
  • All endgame pieces that can be RE'd must be obtained on the character with Armormech

Armstech

While RE'ing and crafting mainhand and offhand shells are one of the most useless things to craft as Armstech (the shells require grade 8 materials as well, which can be better utilized on item modifications), the ability to craft offhands (not dual wield) and barrels make it a viable crew skill to have for endgame purposes. Barrels will generally be more profitable than other item modifications, with up to two chances to obtain Cunning-based barrels in the Republic faction, and up to two chances to obtain Aim-based barrels in the Imperial faction.

After the Grand Acqusitions Race, if you have a Bind-on-Legacy (BoL) mainhand, you no longer have to obtain Barrels (61) on the character with Armstech. Because of this reason alone, Barrels (61) will generally be cheaper than Hilts (61) based on availability, but not by a lot. You will, however, still need to have Armstech on your character to obtain Tech-based offhands to RE and craft.

Out of the three crew skills that can make Augments, Armstech only offers additional secondary stats with +Power arguably being the most useful.

You can also craft the Gormak Energy-Cell AlphaWave Inhibitor which is used to defeat the Nightmare Pilgrim (schematics are on Belsavis).

The following is an additional list on where you can obtain certain barrels (thanks CitizenFry):
Patron 26 (+57 Cunning/+60 Endurance): Republic Mainhand, Republic Offhand
Skill 26 (+68 Cunning/+49 Endurance): Imperial Mainhand
Commando 26 (+57 Aim/+60 Endurance): Republic Mainhand, Imperial Mainhand, Imperial Offhand
Reflex 26 (+68 Aim/+49 Endurance): Republic Mainhand, Imperial Mainhand, Imperial Offhand

Pros
  • RE and craft Campaign Tech-based mainhand shells and dual-wield offhand shells
  • RE and craft Campaign Tech-based offhands (not dual wield)
  • RE and craft Barrels (61) for great profit
  • Barrels (61) do not have to be obtained on the character with Armstech if transferred via BoL Mainhand
  • Craft Augmentation Kit MK-6 and Augments 22: +Accuracy, +Critical, +Endurance, +Power, +Surge
  • Craft Gormak Energy-Cell AlphaWave Inhibitor

Cons
  • Not cost-efficient to craft mainhand and dual-wield offhand shells
  • Campaign Tech-based mainhands and offhands have to be obtained on the character with Armstech

Artifice

Like Armstech, using Artifice to craft Campaign Force-based mainhand and dual-wield offhand shells is exceptionally pointless (even more so as there's less of a visual appearance compared to pistols, rifles, and assault cannons). Being able to RE and craft Campaign Force-based offhands (not dual-wield) and Hilts (61) is what makes it a viable endgame crew skill. Even slightly better than Armstech is the ability to RE and craft Enhancements (61).

All items except for enhancements will require the character with Artifice to obtain it. Enhancements (61) can be transferred to other characters via BoL equipment and can even be reverse-engineered from the enhancements in Black Hole armor. Because of the availability, enhancements are significantly cheaper than Barrels and Hilts.

Resolve Hilts will generally be the most expensive as only the Campaign Force-Mystic's Lightsaber has it, while the other three mainhands have Force Wielder Hilts. Guardian Hilts can only be obtained from Unassembled Campaign Mainhand Weapon, while Might Hilts can be obtained from the mainhand and offhand.

Campaign Relics can be purchased for 200 Daily commendations and can be RE'd and crafted accordingly.

You can also craft the Gormak Crystal AlphaWave Inhibitor, which is another version of the item used to defeat the Nightmare Pilgrim (schematics are on Belsavis).

Pros
  • RE and craft Campaign Force-based mainhand shells and dual-wield offhand shells
  • RE and craft Campaign Force-based offhands (not dual wield)
  • RE and craft Hilts (61) for great profit
  • RE and craft Enhancements (61) for good profit
  • RE and craft Campaign Relics for good profit
  • Enhancements can be transferred from other characters to RE via BoL equipment
  • Craft Gormak Crystal AlphaWave Inhibitor

Cons
  • Not cost-efficient to craft mainhand and dual-wield offhand shells
  • Campaign Force-based mainhands, offhands, and hilts have to be obtained on the character with Artifice

Biochem

Biochem is still one of the most preferred crew skills for endgame PvE, simply because of the cost savings achieved by using Reusable Rakata Medpacs, Stims, and Adrenals. Biochem can also learn and craft six different Exotech stims (from Black Hole and Campaign vendor for 20 BH comms each) which are the best stims available. Exotech adrenal schematics are also dropped randomly in Tier 1 operations (Eternity Vault, Karagga's Palace) and when crafted are the best adrenals available.

Biochems can also reverse-engineer and craft Black Hole Implants, which includes the ones bought from the vendor and all of the ones exclusive to the drops in HM Denova (e.g. MK-2, MK-3, MK-4). Some of the implants found only in HM Denova may be best in slot for some classes and as such may be more expensive than others.

Pros
  • RE and craft Black Hole Implants for great profit
  • Craft Reusable Rakata Medpacs, Stims, and Adrenals for self, for cost savings
  • Craft Exotech Medpacs, Stims, and Adrenals, the best available

Cons
  • Black Hole Implants have to be obtained on the character with Biochem

Cybertech

In my opinion, Cybertech has the best end of the deal from all this. Similar to Biochem, Cybertech users can RE and craft Black Hole Earpieces, including those in the vendors and certain versions exclusive in HM Denova. Also, similar to Artifice, they can also RE and craft Mods (61). However, the greatest perk of being Cybertech is the ability to RE and craft Armorings (61), which drops only once per character a week from HM Kephess. This is the only armoring that can be RE'd, armorings retrieved from existing Black Hole or Campaign gear will not yield a schematic.

Luckily, the armoring dropped is Bind on Equip so the Cybertech character does not have to be present. Mods can be transferred via BoL gear. The earpieces are the only thing where the Cybertech character would have to be present for.

Keep in mind though that for a true min/max build, at its current state you would have to place Armorings (61) into Tier 1 gear to fully achieve best in slot stats with set bonuses.

At the moment, Cybertech is THE high-risk, high-reward crew skill to have in terms of profit.

For an extra kick of DPS or utility, Cybertech users can use their own reusable Wynz-Tek grenades which deals AoE damage and a choice of assorted effects.

Pros
  • RE and craft Black Hole earpieces for great profit
  • RE and craft Armorings (61) for exceptional profit
  • RE and craft Mods (61) for good profit
  • Craft Reusable Wynz-Tek grenades, which deals AoE damage with a special effect of their choice

Cons
  • Earpieces have to be obtained on the character with Cybertech

Synthweaving

This, like Armormech, is arguably one of the least useful crew skills in relation to endgame perks. Again, the shells, bracers, and belts require using grade 8 materials such as Synthetic Energy Matrix and Molecular Stabilizer, which could be better utilized on other modifications that provide beneficial stats (e.g. hilts, barrels, armorings). Campaign bracers and belts are also inferior to moddable ones, as the moddable bracers and belts can be fine-tuned to your specific role. The custom shell will be viable forever and can be upgraded in increments.

If Synthweaving was profitable (it's really not, at the moment), the most valuable Campaign items to RE and craft would be the shells for the Head and Feet, as they can only be obtained from HM Kephess and the Nightmare Pilgrim. And even if they were valuable, it would only be for aesthetic reasons.

Synthweavers can also craft primary stats for Knights/Warriors and Consular/Inquisitors, along with +Defense for tanks, +Alacrity for healers, and for some reason, +Presence.

Pros
  • RE and craft Campaign Force-based armor shells, bracers, and belts
  • Craft Augmentation Kits MK-6 and Augments 22: +Alacrity, +Defense, +Presence, +Strength, +Willpower

Cons
  • Not cost-effective to craft armoring shells
  • Moddable bracers and belts are better than Campaign bracers and belts
  • All endgame pieces that can be RE'd must be obtained on the character with Synthweaving
Sincerely,
Gearbox
The Software Legacy

xGBox
08.23.2012 , 07:24 AM | #2
Reserved...
Sincerely,
Gearbox
The Software Legacy

ShawnFish
08.23.2012 , 09:16 AM | #3
Nice write up. I didnt know a few items could be RE'd.

About cybertech, I'm sooooo glad I took it on my sorc. It ended up being a literal goldmine.
Agreed, from a PvE standpoint armormech is useless at 50, but its definitely a good money maker and I use it to support my other toons.

Thanks again.
Alkalinex - - 50 Powertech
Rehab'Romance - - 50 Sorc
Rehab-Romance - - 27 Gunslinger
S'olstice - - 28 Operative

CitizenFry
08.23.2012 , 09:24 AM | #4
Agree with this pretty much 100%. One thing you might point out about Armstech, regarding Barrel 26s:

Patron 26: Republic offhand, Republic Mainhand
Skill 26: Imperial Mainhand
Commando 26: Republic Mainhand, Imperial Mainhand, Imperial Offhand
Reflex 26: Republic Mainhand, Imperial Mainhand, Imperial Offhand

only place to get Skill 26 is the imperial mainhand. Imperials don't get access to Patron 26 (but why would you want it?).
Crafting on The Ebon Hawk. PST/mail: Blayze (rep) / K'ron (imp)
Armoring: Commando 26, Reflex 26; Barrel: Patron 26
Mod: Weighted 26+26B, Deflecting 26 Enhancement: Bulwark 26, Battle 26, Finesse 26
Ear: Black Hole Mender's MK-2 Relay

xGBox
08.23.2012 , 03:52 PM | #5
Thanks! I've edited the guide and credited you accordingly.

I do agree that Patron 26 is an inferior barrel for Imperial Agents and Snipers. Unfortunately it also seems to show favoritism to the Imperial faction by having the BiS slot barrel to RE and craft exclusively.
Sincerely,
Gearbox
The Software Legacy

Metalmac
08.24.2012 , 04:45 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by xGBox View Post
Thanks! I've edited the guide and credited you accordingly.

I do agree that Patron 26 is an inferior barrel for Imperial Agents and Snipers. Unfortunately it also seems to show favoritism to the Imperial faction by having the BiS slot barrel to RE and craft exclusively.
Favoritism for Imperials there is something new huh?

The way the crafting works for endgame is a exclusive club. For 5 million I can buy a 26 barrel, oh great deal.

Slugamaniac
08.24.2012 , 09:41 AM | #7
Nice list and pretty spot on. I only spread my professions across several toons for maximum profit and self-sufficiency but as far as end game crafting this list is the way to go.
The Last Centurions - The Madhi Legacy - The Harbinger
Slugfest Slugtrooper Slugconsular Slackfest Slugshadow Slugfeast
Slugagent Slugwarrior Slughunter Slugsorcerer Slugassassin Slackmeister