Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Big point of confusion at end of Consular Act 1

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore > Spoilers
Big point of confusion at end of Consular Act 1

Felioats
08.22.2012 , 04:28 PM | #1
According to the masters in the Noetikons:

Quote:
The shielding ritual will draw on your strength, and you can only regain what you've spent when the plaguemaster's bond with his victims is broken.

Death was what broke the hold of the original plaguemaster, Terrak Morrhage. But there may be another way.
(I realize we lose nothing by using the shielding ritual gameplay-wise -- no stats, no experience, no debuff. It's "plot strength." I've tried to start a discussion on this before, and that's all anyone ever talks about.)

We discover that Morrhage possessed the body of Parkanas, creating the persona of Lord Vivicar, and spread his plague far and wide once more.

The Light Side Consular then shields Parkanas, breaking Morrhage's hold on him and all of the plague victims. Apparently, it works on possession, as well. Presumably, the shield on Parkanas must be maintained, and the Consular's strength from that one shield will return only when Parkanas dies at some point in the future.

Alternatively, the Consular can kill Parkanas and Lord Vivicar, but not Morrhage. As a Force ghost, he says, he is "deathless." If the Jedi does this, all the plague victims die because they are still bound to the plaguemaster.

It would appear, then, that Vivicar is the source of the plague -- not Morrhage, even though they are the same mind and Parkanas is only a vessel. How can this be?
>

CelticMarauder
08.31.2012 , 11:22 PM | #2
I finished Act I one or two weeks ago, so I apologize if I don't remember every detail exactly. If I recall correctly, it's implied that Morrhage must actually possess a body in order to maintain enough strength to continue the plague. So whether you kill or shield Parkanas/Vivicar, the plague ends and shielding is no longer required, since Morrhage has been forced out of the body and is too weak to attempt to repossess it. Think of Parkanas/Vivicar as an intermediary between Morrhage and the plague victims. When he is dead or shielded, Morrhage no longer has access to that intermediary, thus severing his link between him and the victims. As for the dark side/light side choice, picture the plague as a bomb. You can either defuse the bomb and render it useless (shielding) or shoot the bomb, causing it to explode (kill Parkanas/Vivicar). Either way, you've removed the bomb, but the second choice is a lot more drastic and violent.

I hope that long, slightly disjointed paragraph made sense to you. If I was unclear on something or I rambled too much (that happens sometimes) then feel free to ask for an explanation and I'll do my best to clarify.
Target the Reavers. Target the Reavers. Target Everyone! SOMEBODY FIRE! - The Operative
Life's full of disappointments roly-poly. - Smuggler to a hutt.
We have intelligence that suggests that Hitler is plotting with the Legion of Doom to assassinate Jesus...using the lake as a base. - Lois Griffin

Uluain
09.12.2012 , 06:28 PM | #3
Yes, the light side option breaks the possession and Parkanas is able to prevent a recurrence by going to be a hermit on Tython. The real plaguemaster is Morrage who is of course already dead. By depriving him of Vivicar/Parkanas, you break the plague at its source, as he seems to need someone living through whom to act. Also, it's doubtful it could have spread past those Parkanas knew and Morrage affected on Malachor III.

Whether his shade remains a danger on Malachor III or not is uncertain, but the Jedi are now alert to the threat he presents and can be on guard against it. Also, as your character survives and time is no longer pressing, the ritual can again be recorded and taught against the chance that Morrage should instantiate himself into a physical vessel once more.

Kaisernick
09.16.2012 , 12:52 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Uluain View Post
Yes, the light side option breaks the possession and Parkanas is able to prevent a recurrence by going to be a hermit on Tython. The real plaguemaster is Morrage who is of course already dead. By depriving him of Vivicar/Parkanas, you break the plague at its source, as he seems to need someone living through whom to act. Also, it's doubtful it could have spread past those Parkanas knew and Morrage affected on Malachor III.

Whether his shade remains a danger on Malachor III or not is uncertain, but the Jedi are now alert to the threat he presents and can be on guard against it. Also, as your character survives and time is no longer pressing, the ritual can again be recorded and taught against the chance that Morrage should instantiate himself into a physical vessel once more.
i assumed at the end of act 1 when u create a holocon that it contains the shield rit.

Uluain
09.16.2012 , 08:58 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaisernick View Post
i assumed at the end of act 1 when u create a holocon that it contains the shield rit.
Exactly, along with all the history you've learned of the plague in the process.

Ooloi
10.02.2012 , 05:04 AM | #6
"Your mistake was in thinking I cared...."

still the best line in any story so far, for me.