Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

When is someone going to ask the number 1 questions pvpers want to know?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
When is someone going to ask the number 1 questions pvpers want to know?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Crawelc
08.22.2012 , 10:44 AM | #21
I looked and looked for the thread with that interview about Pyros being brought more into mele range Pistols, couldnt find it anywhere but I know I saw it too.
Imprimis <Fight><Redemption><Conquest><Super Bads><Murica Force><The Cream><RSU>
All Imprimis All the time.
GM of 3 dead guilds and counting.

cashogy
08.22.2012 , 10:45 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Pistols View Post
Read above reply.
i agree with what you wrote, but that doesnt mean it cant change

assuming biowarEA knows how, they would need to optimize the engine to how it should have been at launch and that would solve almost all lag/fps based problems. this version of the hero engine is a massive piece of crap.

as far as kill trading/valor farming, there is always going to be window lickers that do this, no matter what. bioware implemented some blatantly awful systems before, which only exacerbated the problem. with a little intelligence, you can come up with some new game systems that would minimize the benefit of kill trading, and place more value on actual playing the game and having fun.

but it all comes down to the devs decision making, which to date has been some of the worst i have ever seen. its very sad when you start missing SOE.....

Haystak
08.22.2012 , 10:46 AM | #23
I dont see
"Why dont we have moar Purple Light saber crystals" in your list....therefore it is innacurate.....everybody knows purple lightsaber crystals are in much more demand than everything else.
60s Scoundrel,Sage
55s Everything else

Pistols
08.22.2012 , 10:48 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Crawelc View Post
I looked and looked for the thread with that interview about Pyros being brought more into mele range Pistols, couldnt find it anywhere but I know I saw it too.
I think they put it on a blog, cause if I remember right, it was a link I clicked.

Prolly find it on the Vanguard or Powertech forums though...

Pistols
08.22.2012 , 11:00 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy View Post
i agree with what you wrote, but that doesnt mean it cant change

assuming biowarEA knows how, they would need to optimize the engine to how it should have been at launch and that would solve almost all lag/fps based problems. this version of the hero engine is a massive piece of crap.

as far as kill trading/valor farming, there is always going to be window lickers that do this, no matter what. bioware implemented some blatantly awful systems before, which only exacerbated the problem. with a little intelligence, you can come up with some new game systems that would minimize the benefit of kill trading, and place more value on actual playing the game and having fun.

but it all comes down to the devs decision making, which to date has been some of the worst i have ever seen. its very sad when you start missing SOE.....
Yeah that's just it. When 1.3 hit the scene (check the notes), there was supposed to be a HUGE change with upgrades to game optimization. Guess what? It got worse lol. WZ's are now seeing lag spikes, and we all know the random DC's is just frustrating as well. I forgot where I read it, but did see a link, that when they purchased the engine they optimized it themselves (EA/BW), without letting the peeps who knew how to do it, do it. That could be hearsay of course, but we all know this game runs like crap.

I guess I am not naive enough to think EA at this point will spend any credible amount of effort to clean up code or optimize the game to allow for better gameplay. If that was even possible, I would imagine they would have done so a long time ago. Maybe their plan was to wait till 1 million subs left, then claim they fixed some hardware, and now it will run more smoothly.

And hey, I enjoy the game despite my rants to a terrible EA team running it, but there is no way they will make World PvP run at any smooth capacity, unless they limit the amount of players in the area, which to me, is just a dumbed down WZ itself. I'd be fine with World PvP in this game, if the game allowed for decent FPS, and some objective based reasoning behind it. As it is, the Mythic team doesn't have a clue, so in turn I won't have faith. Sad.

islander
08.22.2012 , 11:03 AM | #26
World PvP blows in this game, period. It already failed. Not sure how you guys do the WZ's on your server, but WZ's on our end isn't really scripted lol. I will agree new maps would be nice, to inject some life into the already tired WZ's. But I for one do NOT miss the lag based zerg fest TOR called World PvP. It was atrocious, took NO skill at all, and literally promoted kill trading to complete dailies, valor farming, etc. While I do enjoy World PvP, this game (and most of the player base) has shown they need to be lead around their noses by rewards to do it. None of that, screams "Real PvP" to me. Game is filled with Elite Carebears tbh.

I enjoy having random PvP when I queue up, cause I never know who I may face, I also enjoy not sitting around waiting for the Opfor to amass enough peeps to have a fight last in total 4 minutes, while getting mass pulled into enemy bases for turret kills, and having 4-5 FPS. I guess to me, it's not scripted, even in the same maps different strats are used, and in ranked it's more like Chess than anything else. I won't comment on Reg WZ's, as those are just for the lulz, but when this game can't even host World PvP, I fail to see how anyone can actually continue to ask for it. I still love you though. <3
It's hard to objectively argue with much of this. Especially the whole lag fiesta.

Bioware screwed Ilum up with their poor testing procedures in beta, and with their poor game engine. The one thing they could've done to fix it somewhat would have been to make it instance based (the PvP zone itself) and only allow a modest variance in the ratio of Republic to Imperials. I'd make the ratio cap 5 to 4 at most. Sure, you'd have folks locked out of it, but that's the lesser of two problems.

As far as the open world kill trading, guess what? douchebags with no intregrity will be who they are. If it's not one thing it's another. Forcing people to go to "in the box" PvP for PvP specific gear to use in the open world - I mean, you may as well make all your servers PvE at that point.
Ǵllies Erimosi, Imperial Deadeye
<Hex> Prophecy of the Five

TUXs
08.22.2012 , 11:04 AM | #27
World PvP blows in this game, period. It already failed. Not sure how you guys do the WZ's on your server, but WZ's on our end isn't really scripted lol. I will agree new maps would be nice, to inject some life into the already tired WZ's. But I for one do NOT miss the lag based zerg fest TOR called World PvP. It was atrocious, took NO skill at all, and literally promoted kill trading to complete dailies, valor farming, etc. While I do enjoy World PvP, this game (and most of the player base) has shown they need to be lead around their noses by rewards to do it. None of that, screams "Real PvP" to me. Game is filled with Elite Carebears tbh.

I enjoy having random PvP when I queue up, cause I never know who I may face, I also enjoy not sitting around waiting for the Opfor to amass enough peeps to have a fight last in total 4 minutes, while getting mass pulled into enemy bases for turret kills, and having 4-5 FPS. I guess to me, it's not scripted, even in the same maps different strats are used, and in ranked it's more like Chess than anything else. I won't comment on Reg WZ's, as those are just for the lulz, but when this game can't even host World PvP, I fail to see how anyone can actually continue to ask for it. I still love you though. <3
Very valid points...and some I hadn't thought about tbh. I originally started on HoG, and I don't recall any time where we kill traded, but I know it happened on other servers, and possibly on ours as well...so my memory of Illum isn't as negative as many peoples may be. I still think it was 'fixable', but not with the lag and crashing. We had 50v50+ quite often and, aside from the performance issues, I would generally have a blast.

And when I say 'scripted', lemme clear up what I mean, 'scripted' meaning the exact same objectives in the exact same order, in the exact same place every flipping time...there's no real ability to fool people...it's east, west, mid and call incoming. There's no real way to lead the other team into a trap, there's no good way to take a node, plant a bomb, score a goal, that isn't stupidly obvious. I'd just like SOME variation to the **edit** we have. I'd like more than 8 player teams - 10, 12, 16. I'd like arena style death matches, I'd like a map where I can't see every person the entire time.

Like I said, it's probably more that I just despise doing the same 4 **edit**ing boxes only, than any real dislike of warzones...I just want SOME variety...we have NONE right now.

Maybe you're right about WPvP being dead...I just held out hope I guess.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force

My referral code: here (what you get here [FREE server transfer being a key perk!!])

islander
08.22.2012 , 11:05 AM | #28
I thought the #1 question would be "What server are you playing in GW2?"

/ducks
Ǵllies Erimosi, Imperial Deadeye
<Hex> Prophecy of the Five

Pistols
08.22.2012 , 11:09 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by islander View Post
Forcing people to go to "in the box" PvP for PvP specific gear to use in the open world - I mean, you may as well make all your servers PvE at that point.
I agree 100%. I don't even think gear should be earned via PvP, it should be crafted tbh, and available to anyone who reaches 50. I don't want a valor cap to equip X amount of gear, or if I preferred to World PvP to grind out 1,500 WZ's to make my toon sustainable. I totally get that and agree. Armor, and the highest mods/enhans/armoring, should have been made for crafters only, unlocking the top tier quality within their craftign profession. I would level more toons to 50 if they allowed new 50's to wear what they want. =(

cashogy
08.22.2012 , 11:10 AM | #30
Yeah that's just it. When 1.3 hit the scene (check the notes), there was supposed to be a HUGE change with upgrades to game optimization. Guess what? It got worse lol. WZ's are now seeing lag spikes, and we all know the random DC's is just frustrating as well. I forgot where I read it, but did see a link, that when they purchased the engine they optimized it themselves (EA/BW), without letting the peeps who knew how to do it, do it. That could be hearsay of course, but we all know this game runs like crap.
this is actually true. which is incredibly sad.

bioware bought the hero engine in an unfinished state, and told its creators "dont worry, we have coders that can finish it just fine". the rest is history

i think we pretty much feel the same way; the game is still enjoyable to play but there are so many obnoxiously obvious thing that should have/need to be changed/fixed and will never happen.

it really makes you wonder what exactly qualifies someone to become a mmo project lead