Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

General info about SWTOR PvP:

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
General info about SWTOR PvP:

Azraelor
12.19.2011 , 10:37 AM | #1
The forums are rampant with people flaming about the same topics.
So here is a list of things I feel the PvP community should read and consider before starting a thread on it...

1. SWTOR hasn't launched yet - just remember that. [Tomorrow this point will be irrelevant]

2. Different classes can do different things, they each have their own role - and some players will be better than others.

3. Playing against a premade may seem 'unfair' - but in reality, its not. You can create your own pre-made and queue with them. There's nothing forcing you to pug a War Zone.

4. Medals are awarded on performance, the better you do - the more medals you earn & in turn more commendations you receive.

5. Communication & teamwork is key, a group with good synergy will likely outperform and outwit a group of players that are intent on nothing more than an open brawl.

6. Updates WILL happen post-launch - which may include new content, revision of existing content, nerfs, buffs & re-working of class/abilities.

7. You will NOT win every Warzone - regardless of whether you roll with a premade group or not.

8. Players will vote for MVP based on what they feel is appropriate - you are not entitled to an MVP vote just because you did the most damage, healed the most, earned the most medals, got the highest number of kills accomplished the most objectives.

In short: Players have the freedom of choice to vote for who they want.

9. The bolster mechanic is NOT broken and works as intended - to get the most out of it, having an item equipped in every possible slot for you level as well as having the most current mods in your gear (where applicable) will improve the overall stats you receive from that buff.

For example, Johnny has all but two slots equipped with gear. Whereas Timmy has every slot including his relics - by default Timmy will have more stats, although marginal it is there nonetheless.

10. There are two brackets for PvP - 1-49 & 50 Some players are not fond of playing against higher level opponents because they do not have as many tools at their disposal as their counterparts.

While there is much that could be said about the good & bad for both - I'm not going to start a flame war by taking a side on this issue. Discuss it below.

11. Finally - you WILL die at some point in a War Zone eventually. If you are the type that gets easily frustrated when you die or when your team doesn't win a match or misses that crucial pass in huttball...

Lighten up and stop taking it so seriously - this is a GAME!!!

Just because you'll spend hundreds if not thousands of hours playing - doesn't mean that it has to become 'work' or a 'chore'!

Remember players - you choose your attitude, and your attitude will affect your in-game experience.

Thanks for reading folks!

-Az
Pandemonium : Giradda The Hutt : U.S. East : PvE
PvP Brigade Leader

Azraelor - Sith Inquisitor [Sorcerer : Corruption]
"You will either join the dark side, or be felled by it."

Ahhmyface
12.19.2011 , 10:41 AM | #2
While I'm sure your advice is intended to be helpful, and most of it is true, the simple lack of maturity alone for most posters waves away all rational thought.

The only answer these people will accept is "the game is broken, that's why I die".
Ahhmyface- 1400 Madness Assassin
[The Bastion][/B]

Azraelor
12.19.2011 , 10:59 AM | #3
Even so, if the information is useful to someone or helps them sympathize - then the post did what I had intended it to do! ^.^
PvP Brigade Leader

Pentharian
12.19.2011 , 11:50 AM | #4
While I like the post and you're entirely right it is a game and is made for enjoyment. I have a couple of things I would like to rebuttal.

There are three warzones and one is designed to be a pick-me-up, so it seems (Huttball) to reduce queue times in trying to get a group together.

I recently got a quest to win a warzone, I'm level 32, not the first time I've done this quest but this is the example that best supports my argument here( and if one person is experiencing this, so are others likely). I've queue for seven Warzone matches now, they've all been Huttball, they've all been 15 minutes, and they've all been loses. That's an hour and a half of my time in total that I've spent trying to PUG the battleground. I have no friends on line that are interested and asking in the General chats is a mute point I believe.

The loses wouldn't be all entirely bad if they were quick or decisive or just different maps involved. I'm psychologically setup now though that when I see the loading screen to a Huttball match, I try to be up beat, but I feel it's going to be another waste of 15 minutes. I sometimes hope they just beat us 0-6 and get it over with, because it's not fun.

So where it is not fair, and I'm lucky in the chance I can do these over and over again till I find a group that is worse than my group. I'm sure there are others who do not have their time to dedicate to losing for an hour and a half, when simply trying to complete a quest, and try to enjoy some time playing against other sentient beings.

So most the time it's simply frustrating.

Azraelor
12.19.2011 , 12:02 PM | #5
I wholeheartedly agree.
For some reason the queue seems to favor huttball, I dont know if its due to faction imbalances or if its intended... but I welcome a healthy variation of Warzones!

One can only take so much huttball before they want to kick someones hutt.
PvP Brigade Leader

OldSwab
12.19.2011 , 12:33 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Pentharian View Post
While I like the post and you're entirely right it is a game and is made for enjoyment. I have a couple of things I would like to rebuttal.

There are three warzones and one is designed to be a pick-me-up, so it seems (Huttball) to reduce queue times in trying to get a group together.

I recently got a quest to win a warzone, I'm level 32, not the first time I've done this quest but this is the example that best supports my argument here( and if one person is experiencing this, so are others likely). I've queue for seven Warzone matches now, they've all been Huttball, they've all been 15 minutes, and they've all been loses. That's an hour and a half of my time in total that I've spent trying to PUG the battleground. I have no friends on line that are interested and asking in the General chats is a mute point I believe.

The loses wouldn't be all entirely bad if they were quick or decisive or just different maps involved. I'm psychologically setup now though that when I see the loading screen to a Huttball match, I try to be up beat, but I feel it's going to be another waste of 15 minutes. I sometimes hope they just beat us 0-6 and get it over with, because it's not fun.

So where it is not fair, and I'm lucky in the chance I can do these over and over again till I find a group that is worse than my group. I'm sure there are others who do not have their time to dedicate to losing for an hour and a half, when simply trying to complete a quest, and try to enjoy some time playing against other sentient beings.

So most the time it's simply frustrating.
I understand the frustration. On the bright side, you probably picked up the better part of a level (if not a full level) in that hour and a half. You got PvP commendation to spend. You had the opportunity to observe your fellow players, and offer invites to anyone who is not in guild and/or actually healing, using stealth effectively, finish low-health enemies off, etc. instead of standing on the fire, swimming in the green pool and spamming the same low-damage, no power cost skill at random passersby.
Before you criticize someone harshly, try and walk a mile in their shoes. That way, if they go really postal, you're safely 5000 feet away and they have no shoes.