Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Do lots of players actually do space missions?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Do lots of players actually do space missions?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Glzmo
08.23.2012 , 04:16 PM | #121
Personally, I almost don't play them. The rail shooter is just boring, especially once you've done each mission as it's always the same with little room for variation.

I wish space combat missions were like the X-Wing/TIE Fighter (still the best PC game of all time!) Series of games (or even Star Wars Galaxies: Jump to Lightspeed, but X-Wing Series style would be better), including co-operative multiplay like in X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter: Balance of Power. Same controls (including Joystick support), same kind of gameplay (heck, get Larry Holland on the case!). If that was the case, I'd play that all day.

Tessaril
08.23.2012 , 04:18 PM | #122
Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman View Post
To address the question in the title of this thread, I talked to Jonathan Crow, a Gameplay Telemetry Analyst here. The data that we have shows that nearly half of all currently active players have played at least one Space Combat Mission in the past 30 days.

To address another point brought up in the OP, it's important to note that we are working to bring more Space Combat in addition to the many other types of content that players enjoy (including things like the new Operation, Terror from Beyond, and the new Warzone we talked about at Gamescom).
Thanks for the info Allison, however I feel the data could be parsed in a different way to be more accurate in understanding community trends.
Maybe Jonathan can look at it from this angle:
How many active players have completed at least 30 space missions in the last 30 days? How does that compare with the number of people that completed 30 WZs? And 30 FPs?
How many active players have completed at least 5 space missions every week for the past 3 months? How does that compare to WZs and FPs?

Taking just 1 instance in 30 days is not a very clear indicator of a popular feature, you want to analyze which are the features that a) keep people engaging with the game every day and b) have long term replayability.

Iliac
08.23.2012 , 04:25 PM | #123
To address the question in the title of this thread, I talked to Jonathan Crow, a Gameplay Telemetry Analyst here. The data that we have shows that nearly half of all currently active players have played at least one Space Combat Mission in the past 30 days.

To address another point brought up in the OP, it's important to note that we are working to bring more Space Combat in addition to the many other types of content that players enjoy (including things like the new Operation, Terror from Beyond, and the new Warzone we talked about at Gamescom).
As others have mentioned, alot of those that have done a whopping 1 mission in the past 30 days was to take advantage of the cartel listening station bug. I bet most of the rest are running macros to level.
"We live in a country that guarantees your free speech,
but it's not a country that guarantees anything you say is correct"
-Neil DeGrass Tyson

MidichIorian
08.23.2012 , 04:26 PM | #124
Quote: Originally Posted by willybot View Post
One Space Combat Mission in the past 30 days. I wonder how many of those happened to be the Cartel Listening Station mission over the couple of days the bug was active during the Chevin event.
I was just about to say.

Personally I'm never playing space missions, not even on alts despite that it's "free" exp. I cannot understand how BW can put time and energy into it when there are much more important things to take care of. How about adding rare drops on every planet? That would give players incentive to do something other than standing around in the fleet.

Twickers
08.23.2012 , 04:28 PM | #125
I have to admit that while space missions can be fun the first few times, they quickly get boring considering that they're all rail shooter segments, and while rail shooters can be fun, for something like this it doesn't quite work, an OCCASIONAL rail shooter would be fine to me but there needs to be missions that just let you fly around however you like.

What I'd love to see is to maybe make it something like Wing Commander or Rogue Squadron, so you can fly all around the space battlefield and have the feeling of more freedom, you can of course put in borders that force the player to loop back into the designated field if they get too far off course, I think doing something like this would make space missions far more interesting and get more players hooked on them.

Eaglec
08.23.2012 , 04:34 PM | #126
Quote: Originally Posted by Leggomy View Post
I dont because they are simply way too hard at lvl 50. I have all the best stuff (purples) for my ship and still get wiped out on them. I used to when I was lower level but the end game space missions are simply way too hard for too little gain.
I really want to enjoy the space combat part but ths tunnel experience is rubbish. Its a minigame to waste a few mins while I am waiting for something else. As such I have run a mission in the last 30 days but I regretted bothering.

* Also I agree with the quote above. At high level they are too hard... Maybe I am doing it wrong but my ship gets wiped like the above poster says, all upgrades and no hope of not dying before the end. Cant dodge and enemy ships absorb several missiles and loads of fire before dying along with there being many more enemy ships.

They should bin developing this any further except perhaps to change it to a swoop racing engine. Space needs proper multiplayer freedom.

Thondan
08.23.2012 , 05:06 PM | #127

Jonathan Crow.

Johnathan. Crow.

Why does that name sound SO FAMILIAR here?

RazielHex
08.23.2012 , 05:21 PM | #128
Quote: Originally Posted by Thondan View Post
Jonathan Crow.

Johnathan. Crow.

Why does that name sound SO FAMILIAR here?
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/jonathan-crow/7/309/51a

Tricky-Ha
08.23.2012 , 05:55 PM | #129
I'm a huge fan of Star Wars space combat in video games but I have so far still refused to play even 1 space mission here in SWTOR & I won't ever, until the ships are taken off the roller coaster rails. It's the principle of the thing, I've gotten really good at 3D space combat, so good that there's no fun in going backwards like to training wheels on a bike again. The freedom of blasting enemy/player ships in 3 dimensional space flight combat means I just won't settle on some half-arsed done job that's nothing more than a prettier looking version of SOE's browser based on-rails space shooter in Clone Wars Online.

I'd hoped for so much better from BioWare.
You don't know about me, You don't know about me
I'm a gangster , I'm a gangster
I'm a player, I'm a player

ROYDENSTORM
08.23.2012 , 05:56 PM | #130
I personnaly love the space missions, I found them to be fun and if you get the right gear for your ship the missions are not difficult. However I have not done any space missions in a long time(other than the glitch) simply because I have done them all so many times, and there's nothing left for me in them. I would like to see more of them and here's a thought "Heroic" Space Missions, which require me to team up with other would really be nice