Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Do lots of players actually do space missions?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Do lots of players actually do space missions?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Thaltom
08.22.2012 , 06:47 AM | #91
I do "Operation New Eclipse" for the daily/fleet commendations and credits on a semi-regular basis. Usually two or three times per week. Maybe once per week, usually in the AM, I will do "Operation Grand Nova" for some extra credits while I wait for more guildies to log on. To me space missions are a mini game to earn a few extra credits and a small Legacy experience bump. Nothing more. It's a distraction while I wait for something else in-game.

I would like for space missions to become something more interesting in the coming months, but for now I'm content with it being a mini game.
I only get paid when I survive. I like getting paid.

Selvec
08.22.2012 , 06:51 AM | #92
Only for fleet coms.

ShallowBay
08.22.2012 , 06:52 AM | #93
I do them for fun--they really add to the experience, especially when playing my Smuggler.
[Ebon Hawk]
There is no death, there is the Force.

patchew
08.22.2012 , 06:57 AM | #94
i used to when i first started the game but i havent done one in about 6 months and have zero interest in them. Theres a title or two linked to it (if you care about titles at all) and some xp/moneys but personally i much prefer to pvp whilst leveling. I have little interest in pvp but it breaks up the grind of missions and such.

The space missions were fun for a while but you get kinda bored. I got to the mines one and i just couldnt finish it so i gave up and havent done one since.

so no, i wouldnt want any mroe time dedicated to it unless there was random mobs/loot/discovery involved. Its a big wide universe, surely there must be something interesting in it

Arlon_Nabarlly
08.22.2012 , 07:33 AM | #95
I only do them while leveling and while acquiring daily comms. After that I never do them anymore. They are OK but far too repetitive. I several of the missions are just renamed clones with slightly different difficulty. I don't see the point once I'm past 50. I can see the argument for doing it for credit runs, but since the comms don't buy anything I really want I'd rather run daily missions to get daily comms that I might actually use (my main has like 250 unused space comms but nothing I really want to buy with them).

Gokkus
08.22.2012 , 07:37 AM | #96
Sometimes, yes. Mainly when I need to level some more to go to the next planet and dont want to do bonus series. Its not a bad alternative. Unless you have to gain, like, 2-3 whole levels, then it might be a bit much.
Jolee: I did it all for the Wookiees.
Revan: The Wookiees?
Jolee: The Wookiees!

Irongut
08.22.2012 , 07:50 AM | #97
Quote: Originally Posted by Leggomy View Post
I dont because they are simply way too hard at lvl 50. I have all the best stuff (purples) for my ship and still get wiped out on them. I used to when I was lower level but the end game space missions are simply way too hard for too little gain.
I've completed the level 50 space missions with mostly level 3 upgrades. If you have the power convertor, ECM and EMP blast you should be able to get through them no problem.

Sure the space missions would be better if they were more like X-Wing and TIE Fighter but they're still fun in their own way. I ran them quite a bit while levelling my first two characters and on the alts I'm levelling atm I run them from time to time to get a break from other gameplay. They can also be fun to run while waiting for your companions to craft items.

The main reason my level 50s don't run space missions is because there are only three that are worthwhile and I'm bored of those missions. If we can't have SWTOR-Fighter then I want more level 50 space missions.
◄[|||||||█[☼]█[███████████████████████████████████)

LaVolpex
08.22.2012 , 08:03 AM | #98
i do sometimes, but tbh, the lvl 50 ones are (mostly) very hard versions of earlier space missions

but they are a bit too hard/tedious for little gain, i agree the social gear looks great, but i wish there were more things i could work towards with fleet commendations, perhaps exclusive speeders and pets, and maybe even ship customizations once / if they put them in, but right now, i only grind commendations when i need biometric alloy or cash

i like a lot of them , rly do, but there is no reason to do them regularly on my main anymore save for what i said above

EricJS
08.22.2012 , 11:22 AM | #99
Quote: Originally Posted by _Corew View Post
Yup, I'd really like to plug my stick in wich I haven't used since JTL
Even though I enjoy playing free flight space combat sims, this is what I see as wrong with the idea of free flight space combat in SWTOR. We're talking a minigame here, in a game that's this open to a wide enough range of player skill. When you're talking about wanting special hardware for a minigame, you're taking things too far. I know as many people that don't do space combat because it's too hard as those that don't do it because it has no challenge. Changing space combat to a free flight 3D space sim is just going to mean that there are that many more people in the first category.

I'm all for harder bonus missions. As is, I tend to set goals for myself that go above and beyond what the mission and it's real bonus missions require. There's one bonus mission that I don't consider easy (10 frigate shield generators on a map where there are only 10 frigate shield generators, and you only get one pass on 4 of those shield generators). On the other hand, doing the Drexel sweep and ending with the shuttle at over 80% health does feel like a bit of an achievement in a level appropriate ship, at least for me.

Arlon_Nabarlly
08.22.2012 , 12:27 PM | #100
Quote: Originally Posted by Durasturan View Post
"Hundreds" is a gross exageration, and you don't have to use comms to buy purples for your ship. You can by cybertech crated items which are much better. But even then you don't NEED items to complete the missions.

If you're short on money or comms, just practice, it's gotten to the point where I can clear the last three levels for the dailies without taking a single point of hull damage.
I regularly completed the level 50 space missions tons of times and never used any gear beyond the grade 5 you buy from vendor with credits, drops for first completions, and the 4 bonus items from comms (shield/blaser booser, invincibility thing, emp, proton torpedos [but the last i never use and it's needed]). Biggest thing is just remembering to use your bonus items. Always have blaster boost on if you're firing, always have shield boost on if you're not firing. Pop invincibility if your shield dies in heavy fire. User your emp in the minefield or when surrounded by like 6 ships. With doing those things I found them a little challenging the first time, then mastered the pattern of events and never struggled. No point in wasting effort to get purple ship items, IMO, all current content can be cleared without.