Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Alternate Universe Weekly Challenge Thread

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
The Alternate Universe Weekly Challenge Thread

bright_ephemera
09.04.2012 , 10:36 AM | #71
Quote: Originally Posted by Striges View Post
*takes hearts* thanks. It was like pulling teeth to finish this one. Usually stuff just flows but not this time. Same with Kirya's perspective in the original thread. Maybe I just don't like making my characters sad.

Kirya's personality isn't changed as much for this AU as Rixik's is, and it does make him harder to write. The easiest bit for me was his conversation with Leegstra, and I almost cut it out for length (a lot of stuff got shaved off in this one). In the end, I thought it was important to show that that part of his personality, the con man, was still there, and always would be.
Upon rereading, I think any difficulty outside his exchange with Leegstra...fit. It definitely felt like he was slipping back into his natural element while dealing with Leegstra; anything that felt off outside that exchange felt off because, well, Rixik's really struggling. The effect is appropriate instead of being difficult to read.

Edit: Morgani, good catch on the repeated reference to gravity. I hadn't processed it at all. <3
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 90+ authors to date. 2500+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

kabeone
09.04.2012 , 12:23 PM | #72
Remi AU: Knightless - Loyalty & Betrayal Part 3

Spoiler for Imperial Agent Balmorra (~840 words) and using some names for Smug and Trooper Balmorra (though no spoilers)

Spoiler

Striges
09.04.2012 , 08:55 PM | #73
Quote: Originally Posted by kabeone View Post
Remi AU: Knightless - Loyalty & Betrayal Part 3

Spoiler for Imperial Agent Balmorra (~840 words) and using some names for Smug and Trooper Balmorra (though no spoilers)
aww, Remi. Can we say the Force is pushing her to Scourge? It all makes so much sense, so logical from the other resistance POV.

BTW, didn't one set of Balmorra bonus quests have you find info on the corpse of a resistance member? Or somebody, at least. In the lake area with the acid pits and the zeldrakes? I can't recall which side for certain, unfortunately.

@Morgani: Congratulations, you found one of the lines of dialog that started that story and got Rixik's intended meaning of 'gravity'. And I'm really glad you liked it. No, there wasn't a contest, but I can give out a cookie

@Bright: Yes, he is struggling. He's got a strong sense of self-preservation, and opening up to Kirya violates that completely. He doesn't have a solid voice yet, and it shows. The later episode (from the short fic thread) was easier, since I could skip all the intervening parts and go straight to where he's found a better balance.

kabeone
09.05.2012 , 06:00 PM | #74
Prompt day? *looks around*

Morgani
09.05.2012 , 06:29 PM | #75
Oh no, it is. I didn't have a a single idea for this thread this week. *sadness* Ipha just isn't interesting no matter what life she's leading. *sad me*
Be to her Virtues
very Kind.
Be to her Faults
a little Blind.

iamthehoyden
09.05.2012 , 07:14 PM | #76
Quote: Originally Posted by Morgani View Post
Oh no, it is. I didn't have a a single idea for this thread this week. *sadness* Ipha just isn't interesting no matter what life she's leading. *sad me*
No worries. Some weeks are just slow on the inspiration front. (And Ipha is always interesting )
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

elliotcat
09.05.2012 , 09:39 PM | #77
Oh noes I almost forgot! Here is a new prompt.

Week of 9/5/12
Goals and Ambitions - Everybody has something they dream of, something they're working for in the future. For a lot of our characters it's a defining part of who they are. But if things were different, would their goals change? Who would they want to be?

"We will snatch purpose from the jaws of futility...are you ready to wreak some havoc?"[/SIZE]

kabeone
09.05.2012 , 09:48 PM | #78
Quote: Originally Posted by elliotcat View Post
Oh noes I almost forgot! Here is a new prompt.

Week of 9/5/12
Goals and Ambitions - Everybody has something they dream of, something they're working for in the future. For a lot of our characters it's a defining part of who they are. But if things were different, would their goals change? Who would they want to be?
Yay you're the best! And this fits with something I was thinking about so I might actually have an idea

Striges
09.05.2012 , 10:01 PM | #79
Quote: Originally Posted by elliotcat View Post
Week of 9/5/12
Oo! Good one!

Gah I wish I were more prolific. Or had more free time.

bright_ephemera
09.06.2012 , 08:32 PM | #80
The Sword of Mercy: Goals and Ambitions 1, an alternate reality for Sith Warrior Ruth along with Agent Wynston and Jedi Master Rho. Today's entry is 1700 words.
[Too creepy.]
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 90+ authors to date. 2500+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.