Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Alternate Universe Weekly Challenge Thread

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
The Alternate Universe Weekly Challenge Thread

Striges
12.06.2013 , 08:38 AM | #701
Our regularly scehduled prompt provider won't be with us today, so we booked a replacement. Appearing now *drum roll*

Week of 12/6/13
Heritage and Antiques---Star Wars is full of special things. Old things. Things with personal meaning, things revered as holy. The lightsaber your father wanted you to have when you were old enough. Your grandmother’s silver (or silver ship) you hope one day to give to your grandchildren. The insignia of your squad’s first commander, the one whose bravery won her (or him) a medal and gave your squad its reputation. The holocron that corrupted (or redeemed) your master. What things, places, or heirlooms are special to your character?

As always, there’s Night of the Living Prompt. Use any prompt you like. See the list here:
http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...postcount=1675
This week’s featured NotLP is:
Ceremony---Some of our characters don’t stand on it, for others it is the most important thing. It could be coming of age, marriage, graduation, retirement, or something else. Large and formal, small and casual, secular, religious, cultural, or both. Once in a lifetime, or something that recurs yearly or monthly or daily. Characters participate in many ceremonies during their lives and in various capacities. Write about a special one.

kabeone
12.07.2013 , 04:07 AM | #702
Thanks for posting the prompts, Striges, it reminded me to update the prompt archive. (I was only 3 weeks behind )

So it's been several months but the Dark Ally AU won't leave me alone so here's another bit.

Title: Lost
Prompt: I Love This Bar/Allies

Implied JK End game spoilers no details.
Spoiler

bright_ephemera
12.20.2013 , 05:11 PM | #703
Something nice for the holidays…
Week of 12/20/2013
Snatched from the Jaws of Defeat: Our characters get into a lot of scrapes, a lot of desperate situations. Sometimes it may look like there’s no way to win…but a surprise might be in store. Write about a time your character had a success they weren’t expecting.

And, as ever,
Night of the Living Prompt: Keep on using any prompt you like! Check out the list at http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...postcount=1675.
This week's featured NotLP:
Brotherhood/Sisterhood – Whether by bonds of blood, adoption, or camaraderie, brothers and sisters can see us through our best and our worst times. Write about sibling relationship your character has.
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 2000+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

bright_ephemera
12.28.2013 , 08:12 AM | #704
Week of 12/27/2013
Altered States of Mind - Unlike dreaming, some altered states of mind happen while you’re wide awake and definitely doing things that affect the real world. Lots of things may affect the consciousness, from aggression-inducing biological agents to hypnotic music to spice to plain old alcohol. Write about your character’s experience with an altered state of consciousness. Was it fun or scary? Did it lead them to do something they always wished they could? Or was it more regrettable?

And, as ever,
Night of the Living Prompt: Keep on using any prompt you like! Check out the list at http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...postcount=1675.

Parenthood - Many of our characters either have issues with their parents, are parents themselves, or both. Parents can make things complicated, whether it's simply the generational gap or the fact that they aren't great parents.
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 2000+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!

Kitar
12.31.2013 , 04:34 PM | #705
Honestly when I saw this weeks prompt I could not resist.

Prompt: Altered States of Mind
Featuring: Pierce, Aric and my SW
Timeline: I don't honestly know.
Spoilers: None I can think of does contain drug/alcohol use.

Spoiler

AN

Spoiler

kabeone
01.02.2014 , 12:42 AM | #706
@Kitar That went from silly to deadly really quickly . Pierce and the action figures were hilarious though.

bright_ephemera
01.02.2014 , 09:43 AM | #707
Yeesh, nasty drugs. I have to admit I liked the Nautolan's terror, that was well done. Luckily or unluckily he had the senses to figure out the important information early.
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!

bright_ephemera
01.06.2014 , 03:01 PM | #708
Week of 1/3/2014
Why Are You Still Here? Companions are bound to you in game but your head canon may be very different. Did a companion reach the breaking point with one of your characters? Did any of them leave or even subsequently rejoin your crew? Is there a particular reason an unlikely partnership is working, or a reason that a great-on-paper partnership gets badly strained? Prompt suggested by Striges.

And, as ever,

Affection - It's more than just a game mechanic. How do your characters show it, whether to their lover or their family or to their friends? Does it always have the intended effect, or do things get lost in translation?
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!

bright_ephemera
01.10.2014 , 12:25 PM | #709
Week of 1/10/2014
You're Invited - Last week we talked about the companions who don't make much sense on our crew. This week let's look at other characters. We meet many NPCs during the class stories, and only some of them get to join our crews. Who would you have brought if the game let you recruit anybody? What NPCs did your character connect with but had to leave behind? Did you headcanon them as companions anyway? How did your adventures go differently with these extra cast members? These need not be from the class story. Pick anyone and write about why they’re on your personal version of your character’s crew. Prompt courtesy of Striges.

And, as ever,

Fame - Your characters all end their class stories with a lot of newfound fame. How do they deal with it? Being recognized on the street, being on the news, finding themselves mentioned all over the HoloNet - it's got to be stressful. Alternatively, what if your characters met another famous person and had to deal with being starstruck?
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!

bright_ephemera
01.17.2014 , 06:51 AM | #710
Week of 1/17/2014
Marketing – Somebody’s always trying to sell our characters something. Ads, promotions, coupons, flashy events, and more try to attract footsteps and wallets. Sometimes our characters are trying to sell something – be it services, unwanted equipment, or a cargo hold’s worth of hot merchandise. Besides all that, somebody’s got to be the face of advertising campaigns. Sometimes the advertising is right on and sometimes it’s…exaggerated. Write about your character’s experience with marketing.

And, as ever,

Bad Timing - Sometimes, the worst thing about something is when it happens. Even a good thing can end up being not-so-great if the timing is wrong. Write about a time when your character had to deal with something that just plain came at the wrong time.
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!