Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Alternate Universe Weekly Challenge Thread

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
The Alternate Universe Weekly Challenge Thread

bright_ephemera
11.20.2012 , 06:41 AM | #331
Quote: Originally Posted by kabeone View Post
@bright_ephemera It took me a while and reading all the fanfic to see Kaliyo/Quinn as being a very similar situation. You show it beautifully here. I <3 Wynston/Ruth.
Thanks! Kaliyo and Quinn aren't necessarily similar, but they can be; it really depends on the player's take. Kaliyo sides with the player in the end and that's supposed to make things better. You could read her whole thing as an embarrassing side job. But betraying the Empire is betraying Wynston, and depending on the damage would be considered worse than just shivving him personally. His Kaliyo knew it.

Long period of "getting meaningfully involved would be a terrible idea"? Check. Longstanding sketchy side arrangement on the other person's part? Check. Firm belief on the other person's part that it isn't in their nature to do otherwise? Check. Painful, inexplicable inability (both in game and in fic) to do what should be done after? Check. The biggest difference is that Ruth's surprise was at Quinn betraying her and Wynston's surprise was at caring when Kaliyo did.

In other news, aieee Scourge warning. I like it. And the Voss leadup...with no Knight, but with Scourge Wrathing...I look forward to it!
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 90+ authors to date. 2500+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

iamthehoyden
11.20.2012 , 03:42 PM | #332
Kabe, I like that you had a Scourge piece under Faith. I think it's one of his most defining characteristics, and I really like how this is all building.
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

kabeone
11.21.2012 , 12:18 PM | #333
Remi AU: Knightless - Deadly Sins
SW Ch 3 Spoilers

Gluttony
Spoiler

Notes SW CH 3 spoiler
Spoiler

Edit: @hoyden Thanks! I see Scourge as being a strange combination of pragmatism and faith.

I really wanted to finish knightless with the sins and virtues because they're the best fit. However, I did not realize this story would have to be so long in order to make sense. I don't think I'll be able to finish off all the sins and virtues before prompts are posted so expect late posts and apologies :/

iamthehoyden
11.21.2012 , 04:29 PM | #334
Darth Baras is gross. I know - obvious statement is obvious - but he is!! (It's pretty cool that Remi gets to go up against him. Go Remi and Scourge!!)
---------------

bright_ephemera
11.24.2012 , 09:30 PM | #335
Nice to see other Dark Council members being disgusted by Baras.

Now, Wynston and Ruth on the previous idea of 'what if he had just gone straight to her after his Kaliyo blowup?' 1600 words, implicit Warrior Act 3 spoilers. This opens with a loop of a previous Affection post set late in Ruth's Corellia.

Spoiler
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 90+ authors to date. 2500+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads

iamthehoyden
11.24.2012 , 09:44 PM | #336
Be careful Bright, I have a feeling this SW AU may get moving on you lol. Cause it's really intriguing!
---------------

bright_ephemera
11.24.2012 , 10:11 PM | #337
Quote: Originally Posted by iamthehoyden View Post
Be careful Bright, I have a feeling this SW AU may get moving on you lol. Cause it's really intriguing!
What worries me is that, once all the cuddly snuggles and affection-saves-all is done, the broader scenario explored in Ruth Means Compassion is going to present real problems. Wynston's tendency to wander off/disappear may be the only thing that saves him once Ruth starts dealing with the boss. I'm really not sure how to handle things once that starts.

Not to mention I have no idea how Ruth feels about monogamy and/or expecting her partner to actually be around all the time. Because Wynston's never gonna be reformed into those two things.
Bright's Fanfic Threads

Striges
11.25.2012 , 01:11 AM | #338
Because I’m slow:

@ Bright: I like Wynston and Ruth in both pieces. I like Wynston going for honesty and feeling completely out of his depth. Then there’s his reflection that no one could be around Ruth and not like her, not be won over by her attitude.

The contrast later, her perspective, that Wynston must have an ulterior motive, well done. There are no coincidences in her world. A very real sense of Sith paranoia. Or rather Imperial paranoia that’s suffused through all the Empire storylines.

@ Kabeone: Baras manipulating Marr—nice touch. Again, I really enjoy this AU for all the little details and threads you pick up and change. All the bits from Balmorra and beyond.

Everyone jokes about Baras (there’s a Baras version of the Sith code running around that involves cake or pie or both) but the idea that he managed to “get so rotund” with the Dark Side draining him takes that to a whole new level.

Quote: Originally Posted by bright_ephemera View Post
@Striges, I love the look into Kirya's perspective. Especially the implied disconnect between what Rixik may have intended to impress her with and what she read into the holorecordings.
Rixik’s experiences warp his understanding of relationships. When the inevitable awful thing happens, he skips right past the emotional reaction (since it never helps and no one cares) to ‘how do I survive and/or profit from this’. ‘Trust’ functions more like mutually assured destruction. The fact that Kirya didn’t turn on him when her gave her the opportunity means he’s safe. He can trust her. He knew she’d be angry, but figured the leverage made up for it. What he didn’t anticipate was the depth of emotional pain, the ‘he couldn’t be more unlike her if he tried’ sense of betrayal. That’s what Kirya’s stuck on by the end. She wants to believe him, to trust him, but can’t yet. She needs her own proof, and that will take some time.

bright_ephemera
11.25.2012 , 12:13 PM | #339
Derp, I'm a derpfest and didn't crosspost the week's prompts! Here:

Week of 11/22/12
Home Ec - Our ships and everyday living arrangements have to keep running somehow. Maybe a slave or ship's droid handles it all for you; maybe...not so much. How do your characters manage cooking, cleaning, budgeting, ship maintenance, appliance repair, and more?
Do the Math - On a more abstract level, tons of things in life can be reduced to, or perhaps just unhelpfully compared to, the math that rules our worlds. Write about your characters or things in their lives adding, subtracting, dividing, or multiplying. Or do they ever have to integrate? Or deal with binary logic? Or try to keep a limit on their eccentricity? Or handle something that's just...odd? Write about it! (Somewhat off-the-wall, but I hope y'all find something fun to play with in there, not necessarily strictly math-rigorous!)
Bright's Fanfic Threads

kabeone
11.25.2012 , 01:55 PM | #340
Some late Virtues and Sins

Remi AU: Knightless
Sloth (SW Ch 3 spoiler)
Spoiler

Charity
Spoiler

@bright I really like this new AU (All the Wynston/Ruth AU I can get!) I do find it funny she would kill the agent in her bed that she assumed would try to kill her but could not kill the one in the brig/cargo bay who did.