Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

They are already discussing milking the subscribers

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
They are already discussing milking the subscribers

Soluss
08.18.2012 , 08:05 PM | #1
Quote:
What (if anything) will subscribers have to pay for after F2P launches?

I wish I had a solid answer for you on that. We’re still in discussion about some of the larger content updates that we’re planning. Great example is the planet Makeb. We’ve talked about Makeb, we have a lot of plans around Makeb. I wish I could give you more details, but I can tell you that I think the playerbase is going to be really, really pleased. More story content. New and interesting things for the players to do. More systems and interesting functions in the game … I can’t go into a lot of detail, but around things like that … This is a pretty big piece (of content). It is probably all that I can say. It is definitely still for discussion whether we sell that to the subscriber or the subscriber gets that for free because it is a big beefy chunk of content.
I know the fans will come in and say... well its an expansion, of course we should pay extra for it. Sorry but 1 planet and a 5 level increase is not an expansion. Its a way to justify milking more money. This is the type of content that we should have gotten all along.
James Ohlen: " For 2012 we really want players to feel like they're getting their money's worth. You're going to see so many changes and additions to the Star Wars Universe. It's going to be impressive. We have our Update 1.2 coming in the next week and then after that it's going to continue to roll out month after month. It's exciting."

Jetronin
08.18.2012 , 08:06 PM | #2
They have already said this will not be an expansion and you will not be charged for it.
Jedi Gardian - Tank
Guild Council of The Watch Republic-EU-PvE, currently recruiting

Say something positive: Get called a Fanboi
Say Something negative: Get called a Hater

SpazCats
08.18.2012 , 08:08 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Jetronin View Post
They have already said this will not be an expansion and you will not be charged for it.
lol! They have said A LOT of things. How is that working for us?

Jonnara
08.18.2012 , 08:10 PM | #4
They are shooting them self in the foot for even suggesting subs pay for Makeb.

Unless they bring in a whole new sector for us with as much planets as we got now plus another 50 hours of class story. Than its not an expansion.

Its just a content patch our subs help to pay for.

Durasturan
08.18.2012 , 08:11 PM | #5
They HAD said that, yes. But there was an interview: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=522592

The transcript is there, where the Executive Producer of SWTOR says that they are still talking about what they will and will not charge for and that Makeb is now up in the air and they won't know until it is closer to being released...

So basically yes they did say that, but now they are taking it back and saying you might have to pay for it...

Soluss
08.18.2012 , 08:14 PM | #6
Perhaps you should read the quote, that I posted in the OP.
James Ohlen: " For 2012 we really want players to feel like they're getting their money's worth. You're going to see so many changes and additions to the Star Wars Universe. It's going to be impressive. We have our Update 1.2 coming in the next week and then after that it's going to continue to roll out month after month. It's exciting."

Jetronin
08.18.2012 , 08:14 PM | #7
The have said repeatedly that subscribers will not have to pay for new content. That transcript says nothing about Makeb that would make me believe differently.
Jedi Gardian - Tank
Guild Council of The Watch Republic-EU-PvE, currently recruiting

Say something positive: Get called a Fanboi
Say Something negative: Get called a Hater

Kaze-Yama
08.18.2012 , 08:15 PM | #8
They said it won't be an expansion they said nothing about whether they will charge for it. In the end subscribers will end up paying for something. I imagine if you sub and you only spend your monthly allotment of cartel coins than you can use those to buy all the new content updates. However if you don't save it and waste it all on vanity gear you may have to shell out for makeb.

Everything from that interview made me believe they will do whatever is necessary to maximize the cash they can bring in regardless of impact on the game. The fact they will sell blue gear means nothing is off limits. They say they will never sell top level gear but they can still make the game pay to win. I don't put it past them to sell battlemaster or columi gear or open up old tiers of gear for sale as they introduce new ones.

Subscribers are not being viewed as a separate community than the F2P market, they will do whatever it takes to make as much money as possible this means from old and new players alike. Even though they may say the community matters everything in the F2P model is going to be driven on how much cash they can take in.

Soluss
08.18.2012 , 08:15 PM | #9
The have said repeatedly that subscribers will not have to pay for new content. That transcript says nothing about Makeb that would make me believe differently.
Read the quote man. Its talking specifically about Makeb

alifaraaz
08.18.2012 , 08:17 PM | #10
I originally expected to have to pay for it, as it sounded like a mini expansion. Then they told us its a free content patch and all content is free to subscribers.

Tbh if its like 5-10 pounds (10-15$) I don't mind much but I'd still call it a bit of a shady move.

However if its just like 500 cartel coins I wouldn't mind, ill just save all of mine till then to make sure.
Kazar - Powertech, [Tomb of Freedom Nadd EU]