Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Single player content

darth_craig
08.18.2012 , 12:14 PM | #1
Good day,

is there any plan to EVER introduce to higher level single player content??
If i have to deal with another 30 minute group finder, only to have the tank/healer rage quit, i am going to lose my mind!
The group finder is so biased against DPS that we get a totally raw deal.
WHY do you think so many people play Diablo? you can play solo or grouped and not feel like you are dependent upon someone else for your support system.
Some of us will NEVER see ourselves throuh levels like Denova, and something like Terror for Beyond is basically a pipe dream for me.
I dont think I will ever even get campaign gear because my guild is to weak (casual players) and the publiic groups are all elitists that will not invite someone without the very best of gear already!

So tell me, how am i supposed to accomplish anything without gear - i cant get gear without being able to accomplish anything!

Maybe I should go to diablo - they at least cater to the solo player in all of us...
not asking for much, just throw us a bone, so we dont have to rely on a group to carry us forward!
there are tons and tons of us out there who would welcome this,

good day
Peace is a Lie

Russkiier
08.18.2012 , 12:28 PM | #2
Yes, there is a plan for more solo content. Search for Makeb, whole new planet coming in, at some point.

Sorry about your DPS group finder queue taking a long time, there are so much more dps-ers than tanks or healers, so thats just how the cookie crumbles.

Best of luck!

alifaraaz
08.18.2012 , 12:30 PM | #3
Not exactly sure what you're asking for here.

Currently dailies and weeklies are an easy way to gear up PvE wise, up to a certain level. HM FPs naturally require grouping, but it's just one of them things you have to do them to gear up (that and raids).

As it stands though doing a daily HM FP and your weeklies you can gather a lot of Blackhole comms. It takes time, but you can build up a very strong set of gear using these alone, without stepping into EC.

Now bear in mind, in the future things always change. The same way you can relatively quickly kit yourself out in Blackhole gear, I'm sure in future they will make new ways of fasttracking your gear towards the current tiers.

As for actual solo content, apart from dailies, there isn't much. But hey, it's an MMORPG, you cant expect to find that much solo stuff (remember Diablo isnt classed as an MMORPG, just an All-online one).
Still if I'm not mistaken, a new area of dailies is coming in the future (how long I dont know), there's also the HK questline, which is looking to be somewhat distant future too, that will require much solo questing.
And there's Makeb, which I dont expect to see before December tbh, but an entire new planet plus a lvl cap increase is solo content (just not very replayable).
Kazar - Powertech, [Tomb of Freedom Nadd EU]

Raltar
08.18.2012 , 12:38 PM | #4
The biggest difference between Diablo and a MMO like SWTOR is that Diablo is a single player game with the option to group with your friends, while SWTOR is primarily a multiplayer game with the option to solo some things. You will never see gear that is as good as current end game stuff as a solo player by just soloing. That is the way MMOs work. And really, if you aren't doing that current end game, you don't actually NEED that gear anyway. All you need is the gear you can get solo. Unfortunately, if you don't like this MMOs really aren't the genre for you.

magi_melcior
08.18.2012 , 04:50 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by darth_craig View Post
G
The group finder is so biased against DPS that we get a totally raw deal.
I have both Tank and DPS characters and it is much easier to get a group as a Tank than DPS. I think there is a simple reason for this, the Group Finder always tries for a balanced 4 man team i.e. 1 Tank, 1 Healer and 2 DPS (nothing wrong in that). The problem is there are just so many DPS players and not enough Tanks or Healers to go around between all the DPS players.

Why are there so few Tanks and Healers, is a very good question, Tanks are particularly rare it seems. The trouble is of the 8 Advanced Classes only 3 of them can heal (Sage, Commando & Scoundrel, for the Republic or their Empire opposite numbers) and only 3 can really Tank (Guardian, Vanguard & Commando or the Imperial equivalents), yes I know other classes can technically Tank but I have seen Shadows and Sentinels try and without heavy Armor they just suck at it. All 8 Advanced Classes can DPS so the number of DPS players will always be greater than the numbers of Tanks or Healers.
ASHES OF THE ORDER THE SITH DIS-ORDER
THE RED ECLIPSE
Visit our website

Oldurama
08.18.2012 , 05:54 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by magi_melcior View Post
...so the number of DPS players will always be greater than the numbers of Tanks or Healers.
Good summarise, but from my experience over multiple mmo's this goes for each and every single one.
Even if in an mmo a class can tank, heal and dps then still most people will go for the dps option. (WoW druid is a good example from my personal experience, most I ran into were dps specced even though the class can fit all 3 classical roles)

One reason I see in SWTOR that makes it a big let down for dps players is the fact that a FP team comprises of only 4 players, thus 2 dps players. I think they should up the difficulty or just hp of all the fp mobs and bosses and allow 3 dps players into the fp. This will make queing as a dps considerably shorter.

Petnil
08.18.2012 , 06:52 PM | #7
you would think there was a statistic on how many people play tank in mmo´s. If the number is 20% then the ideal groupsize would be 5. Now i´m fairly certain tanks are rarer than 20% of the gamers, so a 4 man group isn´t realy ideal towards dps. Maybe even a 6 man group would be better considering the amount of tanks.

The way i see it the only reason to make the groups 4 man must have been not to copy WoW. And that´s a bad reason. Look at stats and find out how many play tanks in other mmo´s and make up the group size accordingly.
Even in WoW with 5 man groups dps must wait much longer than tanks. With swtor´s 4man groups it just gets that much worse

tronot
08.18.2012 , 07:08 PM | #8
Solution: Roll a tank.

Master-Nala
08.18.2012 , 07:35 PM | #9
I've always been surprised that so few games don't just de-emphasize the trinity. WoW bribes folks, GW2 just did away with tanks and healers, but it seems like it would be better to create alternate paths where if you had 4 DPS, then the content changes from the 'tank and spank' to something where the players need to trade aggro, work together, etc.

Sigh... I guess the D&D model from 30 years ago is easier.

Russkiier
08.18.2012 , 11:43 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Master-Nala View Post
I've always been surprised that so few games don't just de-emphasize the trinity. WoW bribes folks, GW2 just did away with tanks and healers, but it seems like it would be better to create alternate paths where if you had 4 DPS, then the content changes from the 'tank and spank' to something where the players need to trade aggro, work together, etc.

Sigh... I guess the D&D model from 30 years ago is easier.
Part of the appeal of the trinity is that it diversifies the game. Some players want to heal, some players want to tank, some players want to DPS. If you can only DPS, the game would get boring, at least for some players.