Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Absorb and Defense augments

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Roles > Tanking
Absorb and Defense augments

Aerilas
08.18.2012 , 06:57 AM | #1
I'm a tank that doesn't go for endurance stats, rather for absorb, shield and defense.
For the record, I'm a shadow. I get good results out of these stats.

What I'm wondering about though is that it's a shame Defense and Absorb augments don't have endurance as a secondary stat. They have power.
This puts my HP at 23500 with full BH/WH/1Campaign without endurance stim. Black Hole gear even diminishes my HP with every piece of gear I get.
I feel 23500k hp is too low for EC HM, yet my healers tell me I'm "easy to heal". This is I think because I go for shield/absorb/defense stats.

My question now is, should we opt the devs for absorb/defense augments with secondary stat being Endurance, or would that be OP?

Kitru
08.18.2012 , 09:24 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Aerilas View Post
My question now is, should we opt the devs for absorb/defense augments with secondary stat being Endurance, or would that be OP?
At release, augments had only the single stat on them (at a higher amount than they do now; Adv Abs Augs had 26 Abs on them rather than 12 Power 18 Abs). The developers chose to split the stats to force classes to get some stats that weren't directly related to their primary goal for the augment (re: DPS/Heal have to get additional HP that they otherwise wouldn't get and Tanks get additional damage that they otherwise wouldn't have). The developers made the specific decision to split the stats as they have seen fit to, just like they've made the decision that DPS/Heal relics have pure Endurance while Tank relics have split Endurance/Power. It's doubtful that they'll reverse this.

Personally, I like the fact that tank relics and augments have that bit of power on them. It allows tanks to increase their damage/threat generation more than pure mitigation tweaking would encourage them to do. It's a bit of social engineering on the part of the devs that tells us that tank damage is indeed important.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

haksilence
10.01.2012 , 01:58 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Aerilas View Post
I'm a tank that doesn't go for endurance stats, rather for absorb, shield and defense.
For the record, I'm a shadow. I get good results out of these stats.

What I'm wondering about though is that it's a shame Defense and Absorb augments don't have endurance as a secondary stat. They have power.
This puts my HP at 23500 with full BH/WH/1Campaign without endurance stim. Black Hole gear even diminishes my HP with every piece of gear I get.
I feel 23500k hp is too low for EC HM, yet my healers tell me I'm "easy to heal". This is I think because I go for shield/absorb/defense stats.

as well your HP can never be "too low" if your taking so much damage that your HP pool is too small then your doing something wrong mechanicly. tanking relies solely on the amount you can mitigate and nothing with your HP pool. so yes you would be fine for EC and probably even EC HM. dont EVER worry about your hitpoints and always take mods and enhancements that stack more mitigation stat then endurance.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=530635

here is a nice little tool to help you figure out your optimal stat setup with your current defensive budget

SgtKlavier
10.02.2012 , 11:27 AM | #4
My powertech has just over 24k hp now, used to be about 23700 before 1.4. As such, I think people often mistake me for being on okay tank because they cannot look at tanking stats other than defense (something that is quite annoying and been there for a long time). I can tank HM EC just fine though (19% def, 57% shield, 60% absorb); the problem that arises is people only being able to know your tanking stats through an extensive look at your modding and augments, which is annoying and if the person looking at it doesn't play a tank, they might not know what types of mods give preference to tanking stats vs. endurance. If you have the mitigation, though, your hp shouldn't be a problem.