Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

If SWTOR were to add another Advanced Class...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
If SWTOR were to add another Advanced Class...

paul_preib's Avatar


paul_preib
08.17.2012 , 02:53 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by TheronFett View Post
Exactly what I was going to post.

What this game really needs is something similar to the Officer profession in SWG. One that provides group buffs, can cleanse DoTs, and is generally a battlefield commander who's sole purpose is to offer group support.
As much as I like this idea in principle, making flashpoints 4 man makes it tough to justify a true support class, even in 8 man content he'd have to provide a pretty significant dps boost to teammates to justify his spot over pure dps as so many boss fights are enrage-timer based.

In pvp you could almost argue the pure tank specs are the 'support' classes of the game, taunt, guard, peels, area slows, grapples, leaps, etc.
Cyperian -- Sorceror Cyterian-- Sentinel Cyrellian-- Trooper Cyprian-- Sage
Cylerian-- Scoundrel Kyrellian-- Sniper
Of the Bloodborne and Deargna-Fhuil Legacies

Altheran's Avatar


Altheran
08.17.2012 , 03:11 PM | #32
A guy who can put Landmines (SIS - Imperial Army)

Ashania's Avatar


Ashania
08.17.2012 , 04:27 PM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by Daiyukie View Post
Which they won't. But I want to see a pure support buffer/debuffer type class.
Would be nice.

Mara/Sent aside (predation/damage-healing increase forgot name of buff), there really are no classes that offer any group buffs or support.
50 Sawbones Scoundrel | 50 Medicine Operative
50 Seer Sage | 50 Deception Assassin
50 Bodyguard Mercenary

Brool's Avatar


Brool
08.17.2012 , 04:34 PM | #34
While I could understand that others might like the creature handler type advanced class, it would personally drive me insane having to look at all the pets inside a warzone. Im not a pet person(in the game, I've got my puppies and thats the only creatures I want to deal with)

For hypothetical sake lets just say the do implement it, and it's automatically a FOTM class because its *shiny* and new.

You imagine that first warzone you hop into thats 8 CH vs 8 CH...... How many targets do you really want to deal with in small scale areas that we currently have. How many pets do you want to chase around in huttball or the middle of ACW. That 8 vs 8 just turned into 16 vs 16 or more inside a map designed for 8 vs 8.

Im not against new classes by any means, and I hope at some point they intend to add a new class here and there. I just have my reservations about them and the impact it would have on the current game mechanics.

my personal choice would be a buff/debuff type class. The advanced class you would choose would be either to buff or to debuff. The 3 skill trees would be broken down into healing buffs/debuff - damage buffs/debuff - defensive buffs/debuff
Phalanx
The Harbinger
We are playing a game of rock paper scissors.
Quit asking to nerf rock when you are obviously playing scissors.

Jenzali's Avatar


Jenzali
08.17.2012 , 04:35 PM | #35
A mobility-based AC for Bounty Hunters where you use your jet pack a lot.
Dashto Vant - Arsenal Mercenary - The most dashing bounty hunter in the galaxy.

Daiyukie's Avatar


Daiyukie
08.17.2012 , 04:36 PM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by paul_preib View Post
As much as I like this idea in principle, making flashpoints 4 man makes it tough to justify a true support class, even in 8 man content he'd have to provide a pretty significant dps boost to teammates to justify his spot over pure dps as so many boss fights are enrage-timer based.

In pvp you could almost argue the pure tank specs are the 'support' classes of the game, taunt, guard, peels, area slows, grapples, leaps, etc.
So give them tank level DPS but offensive boosts to their own team rather than defense-oriented effects (taunt, slows) to the other team. Or Add more debuffs to existing tank trees, make/change another tree to add buffs to friendlies and you don't need a new class at all.
"Everyone not as good as me is a Noob. Everyone better than me is a No Lifer" - The Code of the Bads
Quote: Originally Posted by gwrtheyn
atm Concealment Operative are like a dog humping on your leg,anoying,but not lethal
Quote: Originally Posted by jaxxxster
Solution : Nerf Operatives. Again.

Ashania's Avatar


Ashania
08.17.2012 , 04:42 PM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by Brool View Post
While I could understand that others might like the creature handler type advanced class, it would personally drive me insane having to look at all the pets inside a warzone. Im not a pet person(in the game, I've got my puppies and thats the only creatures I want to deal with)

For hypothetical sake lets just say the do implement it, and it's automatically a FOTM class because its *shiny* and new.

You imagine that first warzone you hop into thats 8 CH vs 8 CH...... How many targets do you really want to deal with in small scale areas that we currently have. How many pets do you want to chase around in huttball or the middle of ACW. That 8 vs 8 just turned into 16 vs 16 or more inside a map designed for 8 vs 8.

Im not against new classes by any means, and I hope at some point they intend to add a new class here and there. I just have my reservations about them and the impact it would have on the current game mechanics.

my personal choice would be a buff/debuff type class. The advanced class you would choose would be either to buff or to debuff. The 3 skill trees would be broken down into healing buffs/debuff - damage buffs/debuff - defensive buffs/debuff
Pet classes are always my favourite! (not the hunter-esque type though) but I highly doubt they would ever be included in TOR especially seeing as we have companions following us 90% of the time.

Also realistically and unfortunately I don't think TOR will see a new class for several years - providing the game is even around by then.

Though if it were to happen, a buff/debuff type would be nice.
50 Sawbones Scoundrel | 50 Medicine Operative
50 Seer Sage | 50 Deception Assassin
50 Bodyguard Mercenary

BanetheDarkLord's Avatar


BanetheDarkLord
08.17.2012 , 04:43 PM | #38
I'm still in favor of an overall Droid class. Could even have a few different "models" of droids as "races." Heres my thought

Class: Droid
Faction: Both
Advanced Class: Enforcer or Support (Can't think of a cooler name)
Weapons: Undecided yet, most likely ranged weaponry

Enforcer: Tank tree, DPS tree, and Shared Debuff/Buff tree
Support: Healing Tree, DPS tree and Shared Debuff/Buff tree
Ry'tan-Juggernaut-55 | Treys'n-Powertech-55 | Velmir-Operative-55 |
Lurruh-Sage-21 | Sellysha-Mercenary-45 | Zarruh-Assassin-41

UGLYMRJ's Avatar


UGLYMRJ
08.17.2012 , 04:47 PM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by Brool View Post
While I could understand that others might like the creature handler type advanced class, it would personally drive me insane having to look at all the pets inside a warzone. Im not a pet person(in the game, I've got my puppies and thats the only creatures I want to deal with)

For hypothetical sake lets just say the do implement it, and it's automatically a FOTM class because its *shiny* and new.

You imagine that first warzone you hop into thats 8 CH vs 8 CH...... How many targets do you really want to deal with in small scale areas that we currently have. How many pets do you want to chase around in huttball or the middle of ACW. That 8 vs 8 just turned into 16 vs 16 or more inside a map designed for 8 vs 8.

Im not against new classes by any means, and I hope at some point they intend to add a new class here and there. I just have my reservations about them and the impact it would have on the current game mechanics.

my personal choice would be a buff/debuff type class. The advanced class you would choose would be either to buff or to debuff. The 3 skill trees would be broken down into healing buffs/debuff - damage buffs/debuff - defensive buffs/debuff
Way to rain on my pet handling parade....


You make a good point tho.

Brool's Avatar


Brool
08.17.2012 , 04:58 PM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by UGLYMRJ View Post
Way to rain on my pet handling parade....


You make a good point tho.
payback for all the times you kept bringing up gunslingers and trying to ruin my best kept secret.
Phalanx
The Harbinger
We are playing a game of rock paper scissors.
Quit asking to nerf rock when you are obviously playing scissors.