Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

See the future of The Old Republic!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
See the future of The Old Republic!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

FreePrometheus's Avatar


FreePrometheus
08.30.2012 , 08:14 AM | #301
The main problem i see (Other than the ones i mentioned above) Is that they seem to be catering for a specific type of player. Now, thats all good. Its great they want to please the guys who enjoy warzones and similar. But the main reason I, and others, joined this game in the first place was because i was promised the SW universe. Not a clone of half the other MMO's out there. I was promised a world i could live. I am a hardcore (please excuse the term) roleplayer. And yes, there is a relatively good level of RP in game. Not because of Bioware content, but because of great roleplayers who play. Where is the universe. All i see is a blank and frankly lifeless universe, if you are a roleplayer looking for immersion that is.

I'm not a PVP guy or much of PVE guy (Unless RP requires either at a point) But, i do respect those who are into that. Yes, Bioware must cater for those people, but please dont put one group above the other, which is how it seems to me right now.

In fact... You know how it seems? It seems to me that you are catering for those to come. The F2P people. So tell me; What am i paying for again???

I do wish to thank those out there that HAVE made my roleplay experience a pleasent one. There are many of you. Some of us have only had brief encounters.

FreePrometheus's Avatar


FreePrometheus
08.30.2012 , 08:28 AM | #302
(Please excuse the post after a post. I know among forums it is something of a "No, no")

I just wanted to point out, to those who will of course ask what i want in regards to roleplay. I simply want to point out how small the things are that make roleplaying a little more immersive. Some of my points were made on another post on this thread (Page 29, i think)

1. Stools and chairs you can sit on without the dreadful Sit emote.
2. Drinks i can buy in bars as a social item rather than "pretending".
3. Change some of the emotes. For example: When i type /Drink i dont want to make a toast, i just want to drink my fake beverage

For now i cannot think of much else. But these were only meant as a form of example. And example to show how simple immersion can be. (And for those who will point it out I am not talking in terms of coding.)

TUXs's Avatar


TUXs
08.30.2012 , 08:37 AM | #303
Quote: Originally Posted by FreePrometheus View Post
(Please excuse the post after a post. I know among forums it is something of a "No, no")

I just wanted to point out, to those who will of course ask what i want in regards to roleplay. I simply want to point out how small the things are that make roleplaying a little more immersive. Some of my points were made on another post on this thread (Page 29, i think)

1. Stools and chairs you can sit on without the dreadful Sit emote.
2. Drinks i can buy in bars as a social item rather than "pretending".
3. Change some of the emotes. For example: When i type /Drink i dont want to make a toast, i just want to drink my fake beverage

For now i cannot think of much else. But these were only meant as a form of example. And example to show how simple immersion can be. (And for those who will point it out I am not talking in terms of coding.)
I'm not an RPer, never have been, but I fully support your list of changes. Even though I may never do anything with you in-game, I value every player, and if it's important to you, I feel it's important to US, as a community.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

Vandicus's Avatar


Vandicus
08.30.2012 , 09:03 AM | #304
Quote: Originally Posted by FreePrometheus View Post
The main problem i see (Other than the ones i mentioned above) Is that they seem to be catering for a specific type of player. Now, thats all good. Its great they want to please the guys who enjoy warzones and similar. But the main reason I, and others, joined this game in the first place was because i was promised the SW universe. Not a clone of half the other MMO's out there. I was promised a world i could live. I am a hardcore (please excuse the term) roleplayer. And yes, there is a relatively good level of RP in game. Not because of Bioware content, but because of great roleplayers who play. Where is the universe. All i see is a blank and frankly lifeless universe, if you are a roleplayer looking for immersion that is.

I'm not a PVP guy or much of PVE guy (Unless RP requires either at a point) But, i do respect those who are into that. Yes, Bioware must cater for those people, but please dont put one group above the other, which is how it seems to me right now.

In fact... You know how it seems? It seems to me that you are catering for those to come. The F2P people. So tell me; What am i paying for again???

I do wish to thank those out there that HAVE made my roleplay experience a pleasent one. There are many of you. Some of us have only had brief encounters.
The idea that the announced content is for f2pers is honestly just silly. Operations are not accessible to f2pers, warzones have limited access to f2pers, Makeb is a 50+ planet which will take a good deal of time for f2pers to access, if they even can, etc. etc. Yes, its likely that a good deal of resources are going to f2p right now, but the PvE and PvP content that people have been asking for since 1.2 is not included in that.

1.3 saw a not insubstantial step forward for sandbox style content. All synthweaving/armormech schematics can become oranges, vastly expanding the amount of costumes widely available. However, RP&sandbox are not the main focus of the game. Its a themepark MMO, and has quite clearly been so since well before launch.

I'm curious about why you say that you were promised a world that you could live in. Could you provide some sort've source which has Bioware talking about that topic?

Finally, if you want changing NPC environments, you'll probably need a better comp. Not too long ago Bioware finally implemented their dynamic NPC code, and the way it works is a check is run against the computer to see whether it can handle it without creating lag. Now these NPCs aren't clickable or possible to interact with, but they're a non static environment that changes a few times per day.
Darasuum kote ner vode!
Darasuum kote Mando'ade!

FreePrometheus's Avatar


FreePrometheus
08.30.2012 , 09:50 AM | #305
I must apologise, I had no idea they would not be available to F2P. In which case it was ignorant of me to comment on that.

As for the rest. I'll be honest, the part about Living in a world was badly worded for one. But When i was keeping a track of the games development through its website. It seemed to promise much i could see in the way of RP possiibilities. It was indeed a personal viewpoint. Perhaps i was wrong.

There are NPCs, changing environments, and the like in the world i can interact with admiitedly. I did not claim otherwise. If it seemed that way i, once again, apologise. But the changes i am talking about are less about NPC's and more about enviromental factors, such as chairs consoles. whatever you will. Thats all. Yes there ARE chairs in-game that can be used (Mostly on ships) I am talking of cantina furniture, that sort of thing.

dacentabaal's Avatar


dacentabaal
08.31.2012 , 03:48 AM | #306
I simpy say... we'll be lucky if this game survives at all after F2P, less than half a year it will all go down hill with "what a surprise" no new content.... and I dont mean WZ's FP's becaus to me thats not new content... just a minor inconvenience. plus people want good content and more added to the apparent "rich story" BW go on so much about not somthing else to grind because theer nothing else to do, expecially for those people who dont do them...

I say... close down SWTOR and bring the servers etc back up for SWG's, yes it went crappy at the end but it had a good set of years in its place and people had fun and at times it was hard and took time to get the character you wanted to build.. but thats was the fun part of it, with swtor within 4 days you can be at 50 and boringly grinding away to boredom...

EDIt: just like to add Vandicus your bantg on teh money, also what ever happend to guild ships they annoounced way back in 1.2 was it? yet another "coming soon" item of BW
█]╬╬╬╬╬╬(۝)ǁ█خ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓)
http://www.swtor.com/r/sdFwY8

Jyde's Avatar


Jyde
08.31.2012 , 07:27 AM | #307
Quote: Originally Posted by LexxYovel View Post
Where are chat bubbles?
Where is pazaak?
Where is swoop racing?
Where is a true free-roam space aspect?
Where are the community aspects that bring people together, and give players a sense of control over their galaxy?

These are the things I'd like to see that would truly motivate to log on.
All these things and much more lie buried with SWG. All we can hope for is an updated version of it someday!
Jyd Soren

7+ years in SWG and missing it every day. Bring back my sandbox!!

RyanRhino's Avatar


RyanRhino
08.31.2012 , 08:05 AM | #308
Quote: Originally Posted by jyde View Post
all these things and much more lie buried with swg. all we can hope for is an updated version of it someday!
qft ^^^

Joesixxpack's Avatar


Joesixxpack
08.31.2012 , 02:02 PM | #309
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthAugustus View Post
I have only one question after seeing this initial post and then reading and skimming 23 pages of replies:

Does Bioware ever respond to posts, answer their subscribers, or set hard dates?

The only thing that keeps me subscribed at this point is that this is Star Wars. If it weren't for that, I'd be gone and never look back except with fond memories for a great game that just couldn't deliver on promises.
I was about to ask the same thing. Weird that in The Big Soon To Be Released announcement thread there aren't any posts or replies from staff.

Sedi's Avatar


Sedi
08.31.2012 , 02:31 PM | #310
Quote: Originally Posted by FreePrometheus View Post
The main problem i see (Other than the ones i mentioned above) Is that they seem to be catering for a specific type of player. Now, thats all good. Its great they want to please the guys who enjoy warzones and similar. But the main reason I, and others, joined this game in the first place was because i was promised the SW universe. Not a clone of half the other MMO's out there. I was promised a world i could live. I am a hardcore (please excuse the term) roleplayer. And yes, there is a relatively good level of RP in game. Not because of Bioware content, but because of great roleplayers who play. Where is the universe. All i see is a blank and frankly lifeless universe, if you are a roleplayer looking for immersion that is.

I'm not a PVP guy or much of PVE guy (Unless RP requires either at a point) But, i do respect those who are into that. Yes, Bioware must cater for those people, but please dont put one group above the other, which is how it seems to me right now.

In fact... You know how it seems? It seems to me that you are catering for those to come. The F2P people. So tell me; What am i paying for again???

I do wish to thank those out there that HAVE made my roleplay experience a pleasent one. There are many of you. Some of us have only had brief encounters.
I like your point, really the only content being created is more of the same.
We'll get more Operations, Warzones, and some Flashpoints.
No effort on simple, yet, immersive things like pazaak. The worlds really are stuck cycling 1 time of the day, pure laziness and excuses prevented them from at least doing day/night cycles to help immersion but nooooooo.

Truthfully, the story has been the best part of the game, and lower level PvP(Expertise ruins every thing) we "might" see more story content like the incoming Makeb once a year from hear on out but nothing is guaranteed. If they don't start changing things up within the next few months, I may only sub when they get new story content out. For now, though, I'm taking a break.
The Ebon Hawk: The Icebreaker Legacy
RiStL