Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

See the future of The Old Republic!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
See the future of The Old Republic!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

TheSunStar
08.22.2012 , 01:56 PM | #221
Quote: Originally Posted by Ilhares View Post
I was discussing this with a few friends recently, and we rather hope the expansion/revision with classes goes something like so:

The Smuggler and Bounty Hunter depart from the Republic and Empire, respectively. The Imperials, after a recent upswing in recruitment drives and their success on the front lines introduced their own proper Imperial Soldier class, while the Republic (having been slapped around a bit too much) realizes it needs more SiS Operatives in the field. [...]
I rather liked that you said this. I personally find it rather odd that the Smuggler and the Bounty Hunter are part of factions - when in my mind they are neutral self-serving independents. The Smuggler is made to be like the Imperial Agent and the Bounty Hunter like the Republic Trooper - keeping the game balanced and ofc being must-haves for the game and the SW Universe - but that doesnt mean they have to be on any sort of side/part of any sort of faction. Clearly there is a light side and a dark side outside of the Republic and Empire - so no problems there either. That said, they should ofc have missions in which they choose to help the Republic or Empire - that would obviously happen and would help tie them into the game better with the rest. Or else have them choose in the beginning which side they will ally with (a little like another game we all know...lol). That would make a lot more sense.
⌐~*TheSunStar
The Lytstar Legacy

TheSunStar
08.22.2012 , 02:07 PM | #222
Quote: Originally Posted by Ilhares View Post
Cyber implants on non-humans. (Cyborg is not a species you cheap gits). [...]
Again something i really agree with. Good grief - SW is full of Cyborg aliens as well.... General Grievous comes to mind as a very famous example!

Its prolly too late, but it prolly would be a good idea to scrap Cyborgs off of the species list and instead make it this cosmetic reward you get from Legacy that you can decide to spend your creds on that also gives you one cool ability depending on what cyborg implant you choose (like if you choose implants to better your sight then you have an ability to see far into the distance - or range can be temporarily increased with CD) - and this being something everyone can get with a high enough Legacy level and enough creds no matter what species you pick.
Ye... this is most likely quite pointless to point out though. xD
⌐~*TheSunStar
The Lytstar Legacy

Fettered
08.22.2012 , 02:10 PM | #223
Quote: Originally Posted by TheSunStar View Post
I rather liked that you said this. I personally find it rather odd that the Smuggler and the Bounty Hunter are part of factions - when in my mind they are neutral self-serving independents. The Smuggler is made to be like the Imperial Agent and the Bounty Hunter like the Republic Trooper - keeping the game balanced and ofc being must-haves for the game and the SW Universe - but that doesnt mean they have to be on any sort of side/part of any sort of faction. Clearly there is a light side and a dark side outside of the Republic and Empire - so no problems there either. That said, they should ofc have missions in which they choose to help the Republic or Empire - that would obviously happen and would help tie them into the game better with the rest. Or else have them choose in the beginning which side they will ally with (a little like another game we all know...lol). That would make a lot more sense.
While I don't disagree with the basic logic to this, the design of the game was set up so each class had a story and that story followed a parallel to each planets story. Because of this I don't see how you can divorce Smugglers and Bounty Hunters from their factions. Now you could make Rep aligned BH's and Imp aligned Smuggler stories (Just like both sides should really have Agents and Troopers). You could also make a neutral faction that has classes that mirrored all 4 of the archetypes with a different "skin" and story.

TheSunStar
08.22.2012 , 02:16 PM | #224
Quote: Originally Posted by Deamon_Samurai View Post
[...]
Also this paying for Legacy perks is getting out of hand, If we reach "X" Lvl of legacy we should get something unlocked because we earned it, not earn it then shell out a few Mil creds to get it. Skills costs through leveling is enough.
Good point.
⌐~*TheSunStar
The Lytstar Legacy

TheSunStar
08.22.2012 , 02:19 PM | #225
Quote: Originally Posted by Fettered View Post
While I don't disagree with the basic logic to this, the design of the game was set up so each class had a story and that story followed a parallel to each planets story. Because of this I don't see how you can divorce Smugglers and Bounty Hunters from their factions. Now you could make Rep aligned BH's and Imp aligned Smuggler stories (Just like both sides should really have Agents and Troopers). You could also make a neutral faction that has classes that mirrored all 4 of the archetypes with a different "skin" and story.
Welllll.... sorry but ... duh. Of course things would then have to be changed. Like their starting quests and story quests.... How else?
That is exactly what i am suggesting. -> Not to say that it will happen as it will be a lot of work and i do not and will not underestimate that.
⌐~*TheSunStar
The Lytstar Legacy

Fettered
08.22.2012 , 02:26 PM | #226
Welllll.... sorry but ... duh. Of course things would then have to be changed. Like their starting quests and story quests.... How else?
That is exactly what i am suggesting. -> Not to say that it will happen as it will be a lot of work and i do not and will not underestimate that.
I guess what I am saying though is that it is not just work, but fundamentally changes the game design. Where as adding in the same classes but on the opposing faction works within the current game design system. I may not agree with the current foundation on the principles of Smugglers, Troopers, Bounty Hunters and Agents being faction bound, but I hesitate to see that premise changed at this point in the game, it reminds me the sweeping changes SOE made to SWG and we all know how those turned out.

TheSunStar
08.22.2012 , 02:33 PM | #227
I guess what I am saying though is that it is not just work, but fundamentally changes the game design. Where as adding in the same classes but on the opposing faction works within the current game design system. I may not agree with the current foundation on the principles of Smugglers, Troopers, Bounty Hunters and Agents being faction bound, but I hesitate to see that premise changed at this point in the game, it reminds me the sweeping changes SOE made to SWG and we all know how those turned out.
i dont see why they would need to change the entire game: the content for it is there.. but ye.. its very unlikely to happen as it will be a lot of work and wont be high on the priority list at this point - not because it fundamentally changes the game... however, doesnt every worthwhile bit of new content do just that to some degree?
⌐~*TheSunStar
The Lytstar Legacy

TheSunStar
08.22.2012 , 02:46 PM | #228
Meh.. I see it as more of a sort of addition / partial change, you see it as an entire game-changer.... whatever the reality - only Bioware would know

(its all relative anyway... from that angle i can easily see it as either.)
⌐~*TheSunStar
The Lytstar Legacy

Fettered
08.22.2012 , 03:02 PM | #229
Meh.. I see it as more of a sort of addition / partial change, you see it as an entire game-changer.... whatever the reality - only Bioware would know

(its all relative anyway... from that angle i can easily see it as either.)
We will have to agree to disagree. I simply see it as too big a change for too little pay off, especially when doing adding the classes into the game on their opposing factions can do the same thing, but also add new content as well.

DarthAugustus
08.22.2012 , 03:12 PM | #230
I have only one question after seeing this initial post and then reading and skimming 23 pages of replies:

Does Bioware ever respond to posts, answer their subscribers, or set hard dates?

The only thing that keeps me subscribed at this point is that this is Star Wars. If it weren't for that, I'd be gone and never look back except with fond memories for a great game that just couldn't deliver on promises.