Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Will I ever be able to transfer my character back to a less crowded server?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Will I ever be able to transfer my character back to a less crowded server?

Nefla
08.16.2012 , 09:54 AM | #1
I thought transfering was mandatory and that they were going to close down the less crowded servers when everyone was transfered. Now I'm stuck on a very full server with such intense lag that I am dying constantly from it. (my internet connection can't handle it!) It will suck to have to start the character again on a different server since he is already lv 30 T_T

ScarletBlaze
08.16.2012 , 10:06 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Nefla View Post
I thought transfering was mandatory and that they were going to close down the less crowded servers when everyone was transfered. Now I'm stuck on a very full server with such intense lag that I am dying constantly from it. (my internet connection can't handle it!) It will suck to have to start the character again on a different server since he is already lv 30 T_T
They have stated sometime late this summer the characters left on the origin servers they will be transferring off to desgination server so going back to those servers is not an option.

The Free Character Transfer Service is just the initial phase of our overall plan to enhance player gameplay experience. As of today, July 10, 2012, we will begin locking character creation on selected origin servers. Later this summer, we will initiate a server merge at which point we will merge selected origin servers into a set of designated servers. At that time, any characters remaining on an origin server will be moved to a designated destination server. The result will be larger, more populated servers delivering a better overall gameplay experience. This is our overall goal with this entire process. See the latest community blog for more information
A southern girl is a girl who knows full well that she can open a door for herself but prefers for the gentleman to do it because it demonstrates a sense of respect. Current Guild Roleplay: A Time for Renewal[ https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=...ps/sK3jz376Zu8

Nefla
08.16.2012 , 04:22 PM | #3
Thanks for the reply, I guess my options are:

1) Somehow play with super lag killing me every 2 seconds
2) Stop playing this game (T_T)
3) Move to a state with better internet

Owsley
08.16.2012 , 04:40 PM | #4
It might not be lag, which is network latency, but other companants of your computer. This game is video and disk I/O intensive. It could be your build. If you have a good ping rate then it's probably not technically lag, which is a very specific thing that has been overused by non-techies as a catch all for bad performance.

Try turning all your settings to the lowest possible level and turn off stuff like nameplates and see if that improves your performance dramtically. If so, it's not your internet connection. It usually never is. There is not that much bandwidth required by this game. Usually it is a gpu issue, memory, or disk bottleneck
"But war, organised war, is not a human instinct. It is a highly planned and co-operative form of theft."
Jacob Bronowski - The Ascent of Man

xxMemphis
08.17.2012 , 03:31 PM | #5
If lag is a huge issue you can always transfer to another instance. I know with the race going on it has been crazy on those planets lately. I have been playing several areas on map 2 or 3 just to lower the lag a bit

psandak
08.17.2012 , 04:11 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by ScarletBlaze View Post
They have stated sometime late this summer the characters left on the origin servers they will be transferring off to desgination server so going back to those servers is not an option.

The Free Character Transfer Service is just the initial phase of our overall plan to enhance player gameplay experience. As of today, July 10, 2012, we will begin locking character creation on selected origin servers. Later this summer, we will initiate a server merge at which point we will merge selected origin servers into a set of designated servers. At that time, any characters remaining on an origin server will be moved to a designated destination server. The result will be larger, more populated servers delivering a better overall gameplay experience. This is our overall goal with this entire process. See the latest community blog for more information
While this is 100% accurate at the moment, I would think that they would open several servers again once they go F2P in anticipation of increased population. I guess it really all depends upon how densely populated a given server can be, even with area instancing.

My point is, never say never. If F2P brings in/back a LOT of players BW may reopen a limited number of servers that are currently locked and may offered some sort of transfer option.

JacksonMo
08.17.2012 , 07:29 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Owsley View Post
It might not be lag, which is network latency, but other companants of your computer. This game is video and disk I/O intensive. It could be your build. If you have a good ping rate then it's probably not technically lag, which is a very specific thing that has been overused by non-techies as a catch all for bad performance.

Try turning all your settings to the lowest possible level and turn off stuff like nameplates and see if that improves your performance dramtically. If so, it's not your internet connection. It usually never is. There is not that much bandwidth required by this game. Usually it is a gpu issue, memory, or disk bottleneck
I'm afraid this is the most likely culprit. I had a good deal of trouble even on a near-dead server until I upgraded my graphics card. Check with customer service, they will be able to help on that regard.
However, since transfers to one big happy mega-server, my guild has had frequent lag spikes that affected the entire group regardless of system capabilities. One was in EV when someone DC'd and when they came back, it showed he was in conversation mode, and everyone had severe lag until he logged out manually and logged back in.

Nefla
08.18.2012 , 08:23 PM | #8
Well, it used to run smoothly even on the highest graphics settings so it's not that. Now even on the lowest setting it would be super laggy but I found out what a big part of the problem was, my brother was constantly streaming netflix on MY internet upstairs so I just unplugged the router and plugged my PC directly into the cable. So now it works pretty good, but I created a new character on the original uncrowded server and it's butter smoothe even on the highest settings -_- I really hope I will be able to eventually transfer the chars.

Thanks guys for your replies!