Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Was I being Scammed/Exploited by this player?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service (Read-Only)
Was I being Scammed/Exploited by this player?

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Galbatorrix
08.15.2012 , 10:25 AM | #1
Ok, so I only have a few days left and I wanted to get the Bowcaster for my Vanguard before my time ran out. I did the starter quest and got the 40 tokens. For the other 20, I asked on fleet if anyone was selling any. I had a guy tell me he had 20 and asked what I'd pay. I offered 20K and he said "sounds good!". Then the following happened...

He said he'd mail them to me via COD. Then, he responds back to me telling me that my name is showing up with an extra letter and he's afraid to mail it. (how he'd have know to even ask this is the first scam clue).

I told him the actual name, so he said, "We'll just trade in person". We meet and he initiates a trade. He has the tokens in, so I placed the 20K in and clicked "trade". He then says, "can you just mail the money to another one of my characters?". I say, sure, even though I'm thinking "why don't you just send it yourself?". He then says, just trade me any crappy little thing to complete the trade. I delete the 20K out of the trade window and then right click some green quality item in my inventory. We both click trade and I get the tokens.

He gives me the alts name to mail the money to and when I get to the mail box, I'm exactly 20K lighter than I was when I initiated the trade (from 93K down to 73K). It's like when I first clicked "trade", it kept the money in the trade even though I deleted it before completing the second trade. He asks me if I mailed it and I just logged out, anticipating him calling ME the scam artist and saying I cheated him.

What do you guys think? Did I lose the money due to come bug (ie did it simply get lost, meaning neither of us have it), or was he trying to exploit a trade bug so he'd receive double? I believe he was hoping I wouldn't notice the money missing and would mail the extra to his alt. Either way, this needs to be addressed by Bioware if it is an exploit.

Does anyone have a friend that they can test this with?

BlazingShadow
08.15.2012 , 10:27 AM | #2
sounds like a bug.

But yeah, if I were you I would send in a ticket saying what happened, but don't be aggressive against the player, give him the benefit of the doubt... there's a good chance he didn't receive the 20k either and it's just a glitch, so make sure you ask the GMs to make sure the 20k goes to that player since you already received the comms

bobmcbo
08.15.2012 , 10:29 AM | #3
I didn't test it, but if he's claiming you scammed him despite doing exactly what he said- the answer is probably yes
.never forget

Beesodd
08.15.2012 , 10:32 AM | #4 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hi Galbatorrix,

As others have stated, please create a ticket about this and we'll look into it. Be sure to include as much information as possible.

Thank you for the detailed post.

Beesodd | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support| Find help for all EA Games at Answer HQ.

Galbatorrix
08.15.2012 , 10:34 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by bobmcbo View Post
I didn't test it, but if he's claiming you scammed him despite doing exactly what he said- the answer is probably yes

Well, technically, I didn't do what he said because I didn't mail the 20K to his alt. I was already 20K short, so I assumed he was trying to scam me into giving him 20K more and I just logged out. If it's a bug where he didn't get the credits either, then technically, I did unintentionally cheat him. If he got the credits in the initial trade, then he was purposely trying to get me to pay double for the tokens.

Are the things he said and asked for not fishy to you guys? Why would my name be displayed with an extra character to him? How would he know it was wrong even if it did show up with an extra letter? Who would he tell me AFTER I click the trade button with the 20K to mail them to an alt? He can't mail to his alts himself?

I think he was trying to exploit a bug and scam me.

Galbatorrix
08.15.2012 , 10:35 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Beesodd View Post
Hi Galbatorrix,

As others have stated, please create a ticket about this and we'll look into it. Be sure to include as much information as possible.

Thank you for the detailed post.

I will, but I don't remember his name now.

Beesodd
08.15.2012 , 10:37 AM | #7 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Quote: Originally Posted by Galbatorrix View Post
I will, but I don't remember his name now.
It could be difficult to pin down exactly without a name, but please try to include the time of the event(including time zone), and possibly the name of the traded throwaway green item. I can't make any promises as the name may still be needed, but we'll do our best.

Thanks.

Beesodd | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support| Find help for all EA Games at Answer HQ.

vwsupra
08.15.2012 , 10:45 AM | #8
I did it.....GIvE ME YO MONEY NUB
(something funny)

DarthTHC
08.15.2012 , 10:56 AM | #9
You weren't scammed because you were smart and noticed the 20k missing from your total credits.

He may have attempted to scam you. I imagine any 2 players can test this for themselves using the following reproduction steps:

1) Player 1 initiates a trade with Player 2.
2) P1 puts an item into the window and DOES NOT click trade.
3) P2 puts money into the window and clicks trade.
4) P2 removes the money from the window and drops any other item into the window.
5) P2 and P1 both click trade.

Look at the credits on each player before and after these steps and you'll have your answer.

BW's community and/or QA team should also be able to test this pretty quickly...

Galbatorrix
08.15.2012 , 11:07 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthTHC View Post
You weren't scammed because you were smart and noticed the 20k missing from your total credits.

He may have attempted to scam you. I imagine any 2 players can test this for themselves using the following reproduction steps:

1) Player 1 initiates a trade with Player 2.
2) P1 puts an item into the window and DOES NOT click trade.
3) P2 puts money into the window and clicks trade.
4) P2 removes the money from the window and drops any other item into the window.
5) P2 and P1 both click trade.

Look at the credits on each player before and after these steps and you'll have your answer.

BW's community and/or QA team should also be able to test this pretty quickly...

Yep, this is exactly what happened (except the fact that I don't truly know if he received the money). The main reason I think he was trying to scam me was the odd way the whole thing was handled. His actions were very odd.

But, you're correct. CS could easily test this quickly and figure out if it's a bug. Especially since my ticket likely won't help much since I didn't write down the specifics. It happened last night around 11PM eastern time. And the green item I traded was some low level blaster pistol. That's about all I have.