Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Smuggler "cover" question

wetslampigduex
08.17.2012 , 09:55 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Bida View Post
True. My smuggler is a Dirty Fighting specced Scoundrel, and I only use cover at the beginning of a fight. After that I am extremely mobile seeking the best avenue of approach to my target, and staying out of cone attacks and area attacks. Staying in cover doesn't allow the freedom of movement a smuggler should enjoy.

I dance in and out of melee range of the target to deliver Blaster Whip (to gain Upper Hand) and use Dirty Kick for interrupts.
The only thing that ever requires you being in cover is explosive probe and that is not always used... every other ability u have to be inside 10 meters.

Cover is for Snipers/Gunslingers

ChrisRedmond
08.17.2012 , 10:03 AM | #12
I have a 50 Operative and a 39 Gunslinger so here goes.

The Gunslinger (Sniper) I found to be a turret class who cannot do without cover. Your DPS out of cover is well... pretty dreadful tbh.

The Operative (Scoundrel) Is probably the most fun class to play. Run around in stealth, put the big guys to sleep, stealth behing the next guy, stab him in the back of the head. Booyakasha!

The Scoundrel/ Operative is a melee DPS and heals class who can do without cover, the Gunslinger/ Sniper is a turret DPS and needs cover to lay down any good DPS.
If you can't fix it, forget it.

Jayshames
08.17.2012 , 10:53 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by irishtim View Post
As for the rolling, if that annoys you, you can change how it works. In preferences go to the keybindings menu (tab at the bottom) go to the targeting menu and change the cover option from 'take cover' to 'cover in place'
Both of those still role you.

I done this on my Sniper, if you go into preferences and keybinds, remove the keybinds for Take cover and Take cover in Take Cover in Place, then go into your abilitys menu and find the 'crouch' skill that it under smuggler, then just bind a key to that, that way you only crouch down where you are and still have ability to dodge ranged attacks, and you can still choose to crouch behind an object to get the 'cover' mechanic also.

Believe me, you'll want to do it eventually, rolling away from mobs or rolling into a group of mobs gets tiring after a while.

Khevar
08.17.2012 , 12:09 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Jayshames View Post
Both of those still role you.

I done this on my Sniper, if you go into preferences and keybinds, remove the keybinds for Take cover and Take cover in Take Cover in Place, then go into your abilitys menu and find the 'crouch' skill that it under smuggler, then just bind a key to that, that way you only crouch down where you are and still have ability to dodge ranged attacks, and you can still choose to crouch behind an object to get the 'cover' mechanic also.

Believe me, you'll want to do it eventually, rolling away from mobs or rolling into a group of mobs gets tiring after a while.
"Crouch" and "Take Cover in Place" are the same thing.
http://www.torhead.com/ability/cciVyHR/crouch

You can keybind the Crouch ability or you can keybind the Take Cover in Place option in your preferences. Neither roll into the gumby position.