Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Sorcerer DPS Solution

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Sorcerer DPS Solution

Nagul
08.13.2012 , 11:30 AM | #1
We all know Sorc's have survivability problems in PvP and their DPS is arguably lower than Heavy Armor "Tank" classes in game.

The AE nerf that Sorcerers suffered was not balanced by improved defenses or improved single target DPS mechanics. This plus the damage buffs to other DPS spec'd medium to heavy armor classes is what has created the imbalance for our class.

Here is my recommended fix: Fix lightning tree so that the top end spell is insta cast on a reasonable recast timer. Adjust Force Lightning so that it does internal damage. Decrease the recast timer on our bubble (Only if cast on self) to improve survivability.

For the doubters that do not think Sorcerers need buffs: Look around see how many Sorcerers PvP compared to Marauders/Juggs/Powertechs ... the proof is in the numbers and the fact that most Ranked WZ groups would rather take most any other DPS class if given the option.

BTW this is a DPS discussion not a Heals discussion ...
Hell's Elite Legion
A mature and experienced PvP and PvE focused guild.
Guild SiteGuild Page

cycao
08.13.2012 , 11:34 AM | #2
Yeah I really don't know about this. I play with some dps sorcs and they will usually be at the tops of the warzone in terms of damage. Most run madness and the numbers they can put out is impressive.

Nagul
08.13.2012 , 11:42 AM | #3
You could make the Force Lightning Internal Damage a spec ability high enough up in the Lightning Tree that someone would have to give up the top madness tree abilities. The lightning tree is not a real option at the moment and the survivability is a joke compared to other classes. We should IMO be able to melt down tank classes since we have little dmg mitigation abilities ourselves ... save run from combat. Therein would lie the balance. Tanks get melted by sorcs ... then you need to kill the sorc if you dont want to be melted.

I do not want Sorcs to be easy to play or unbalanced. I'm saying the balance has swung too far and if they continue to be the easiest class to melt ... then they should also be the hot knife through butter in their ability to melt other heavy armor classes. Why should the melting only work one way ???
Hell's Elite Legion
Guild SiteGuild Page

cycao
08.13.2012 , 11:47 AM | #4
Well that's what is going on with assassin/shadow right now. There is no real point to play infiltration/deception as the other trees offer more survivability and dps then it. Now I know I am comparing melee builds with a possibility of a tank but same boat, you either have to go tank or madness or a hybrid. Same situation for sorc/sage its either healer or madness/balance or hybrid.

I have not played sorc myself but have friends that play it fairly well and they are all madness speced as they think lightning is lackluster. I think it could use maybe a little tiny love but I thought the same way about deception until a dev said its fine and you need to L2P the spec.

Nagul
08.13.2012 , 11:52 AM | #5
Essentially the problem boils down to this... If Med/Heavy armor classes can do the same level of damage as a light armored Sorc with little survivability options except run away and hope you dont get focused stun/mez/dead. Then why play a Sorc ? For role play ??

Clearly other classes have spec issues. However for the Sorc the lack of survivability with comparable DPS is the problem. Either Sorc's get more Tanky with survivability options or their DPS in the Lightning Tree becomes more internal dmg type. I mean the top Spell on the Lightning Tree is a 2 second Cast !?! Are you #*&$in kidding me ???
Hell's Elite Legion
Guild SiteGuild Page

Mickilus
08.13.2012 , 11:55 AM | #6
I also think it should be noted in here that when Sorcs put up big damage numbers in WZs, it's because we're spamming Affliction on everybody we see, not because our DPS is working correctly.

jstergar
08.13.2012 , 12:09 PM | #7
To me there are two types of DPS sorcs.

Type 1 - Force jump in and smash their faces while they fumble for hotkeys then interupt their big lightening with a Force Status/Choke > Dispatch > dead sorc.

Type 2 - Eat lightening while closing on them just to eat a knockback as soon as you pop your Ravage/Master Strike, force jump back in to blow some more damage on their absorb bubble. Then, they speed outta range and you eat more lightening. Rinse and repeat and pray for some healz.

The point is they are the same build and the only difference is the player's experience because the good sorcs I run into are always a quick trip back to the spawn.

Nagul
08.13.2012 , 12:28 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by jstergar View Post
To me there are two types of DPS sorcs.

Type 2 - Eat lightening while closing on them just to eat a knockback as soon as you pop your Ravage/Master Strike, force jump back in to blow some more damage on their absorb bubble. Then, they speed outta range and you eat more lightening. Rinse and repeat and pray for some healz.

The point is they are the same build and the only difference is the player's experience because the good sorcs I run into are always a quick trip back to the spawn.
You realize the Force Lightning only does 400 - 500 dmg per tick on the average heavy armor class ? Then they walk up to you or pull you to them and smack you down for 4-6K dmg. You can run away if you're not stunned or pulled or snared... still the DPS med and heavy armor classes mitigate more damage than you can comparativelyl all the while dishing out more damage to you.

This is not purely a L2P or play style problem. Trust me
Hell's Elite Legion
Guild SiteGuild Page

islander
08.13.2012 , 12:33 PM | #9
Yeah, because I'm very much that #2 sorc. I can actually kill undergeared mara's especially when they aren't full health (and they just assume I'm sorc type 1).

Put an equally skilled mara/sent against me though, and I'm toast. It's only a matter of seeing if I can at least get him down to half health before I die.
Gėllies Erimosi, Imperial Deadeye
<Hex> Prophecy of the Five

Cybridwarform
08.13.2012 , 12:40 PM | #10
I played my sniper, my PT, and now im playing a sorc. can say out of all the classes the sorc is the most PVP utility driven with a bunch of CC and nice damage output. I think the problem is people arent playing into their class and still have that....

-Let me jack sparrow into the fight with a swirling glowstick do 30 million damage and tarzan away.

From playing all the classes i mentioned above ive had to come up with different method of working their magic. With the sorc i can tell you i can drive people INSANE pillar humping CCing and just over all being a nuissance and by the time they realize it, well, its over.