Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

BW's first big mistake - the Era.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
BW's first big mistake - the Era.

AknDaylen's Avatar


AknDaylen
08.16.2012 , 11:37 AM | #81
Okay for anyone whon says this does not fit into the star wars universe I am going to say go to wookiepedia its a star wars wiki and you can look up all the lore to the formation of the jedi, birth of the sith the the second galactic civil war (after yuzan vong war (after battle of endor)). And the sith taking over the galaxy again, it has all the lore from all the games, comics, books and of course the movies. Because for those of you who don't know the films make up very little of the lore its the books and comics that make up most of it.

LordHartigan's Avatar


LordHartigan
08.16.2012 , 01:25 PM | #82
Quote: Originally Posted by DPCummerbund View Post
So as I'm approaching level 50 with my first toon, I must say I'm disappointed with the level of "Star Warsyness" of this game. I would assume that BW and EA were willing to throw hundreds of millions of dollars at a game is the huge base of people out there who are Star Wars fans. Any by "Star Wars fans", I mean people who watched & liked the original trilogy.

For example, why does this Darth Malgus character show up all over the place? How many more people would play this game if it was Darth Vader?

So far, the only planets I've really liked are Tatooine and Hoth, and Alderaan. Before playing this game, I had never heard of Taris, or Nar Shadda, or Belsavis, or any of those other planets.

Okay, I sort of remember the Twi'lek dancers, so that's kind of cool. But who are the Mirakula, or whatever they're called? And those Chiss, or the Sith?

I'm sure lots of people who are familiar with the "Extended Universe" get all excited for references to Darth Revan, but the average person doesn't. Darth Revan wasn't worth a $100 million MMORPG. Darth Vader would be.
I don't think you're going to find many people agreeing with you on this one. To a lot of people, including myself, Star Wars is not solely encapsulated in the original trilogy. It's a whole universe that has a history with endless possibilites. What makes it 'Star Warsey' to most is not the inclusion of specific characters, but the over all feel of the universe. In capturing that, I think BW did a decent job. Your gripe seems to be that the game is not set in a very specfic place in time in the SW universe. The main problem would be that it would severely limit the story that can be told due to the established canon of that time. About the only time they could have set this that would work out would be between the two trilogies, though that would pose problems for anybody wanting to be a Jedi as there really aren't supposed to be any during that time period.

Jedipixel's Avatar


Jedipixel
08.20.2012 , 07:56 AM | #83
I saw this thread and had to post.

I have nothing against this ERA of time. But with me saying that it makes me annoyed that it was set so far back as it proves that this galaxy far far away is filled with idiots.

In 50 years we gone from computers the size could fill up an entire 3 bedroom house to something we carry around in our pockets. There is a natural scale of inovation that occurs naturally except in the StarWars Universe.

So very little has changed from TOR to the Prequals to the One and only True Trilogy . I just dont understand how Nothing appeared to change. Because I am sure that in the year 5012 earth will be exactly the same as it is today. Cars will still run on non existant oil, and they wont fly either. We still would not have sent anyone to Mars, and USA will still be #1 ... Oh please dont make me laugh.

Otherwise I love the story but found it best to try and play a group of characters at once to get the bigger picture makes it far more entertaining.

HellbirdIV's Avatar


HellbirdIV
08.20.2012 , 10:06 AM | #84
Quote: Originally Posted by DPCummerbund View Post
Darth Revan wasn't worth a $100 million MMORPG. Darth Vader would be.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Galaxies

Yeah that didn't work out.

CorellianWannabe's Avatar


CorellianWannabe
08.21.2012 , 11:02 AM | #85
Quote: Originally Posted by HellbirdIV View Post
oddly enough it didn't go f2p until it was ready to close-a sign of things to come?

DarthFryze's Avatar


DarthFryze
08.21.2012 , 02:25 PM | #86
Quote: Originally Posted by DPCummerbund View Post
So as I'm approaching level 50 with my first toon, I must say I'm disappointed with the level of "Star Warsyness" of this game. I would assume that BW and EA were willing to throw hundreds of millions of dollars at a game is the huge base of people out there who are Star Wars fans. Any by "Star Wars fans", I mean people who watched & liked the original trilogy.

For example, why does this Darth Malgus character show up all over the place? How many more people would play this game if it was Darth Vader?

So far, the only planets I've really liked are Tatooine and Hoth, and Alderaan. Before playing this game, I had never heard of Taris, or Nar Shadda, or Belsavis, or any of those other planets.

Okay, I sort of remember the Twi'lek dancers, so that's kind of cool. But who are the Mirakula, or whatever they're called? And those Chiss, or the Sith?

I'm sure lots of people who are familiar with the "Extended Universe" get all excited for references to Darth Revan, but the average person doesn't. Darth Revan wasn't worth a $100 million MMORPG. Darth Vader would be.
so much wrong. first off, if it were set in movie time era, we would be regulated to faceless members of our respective faction. I got more than enough of that in WoW. Second, the mere thought of BW breaking movie lore would cause many more fans to be angry and quit playing than a movie era mmo would bring in. in short, they picked the perfect era, bc they could make the lore up and not fubar the movie/expanded universe lore and cause all the sw fanboys/girls to foam at the mouth

alricka's Avatar


alricka
08.22.2012 , 01:33 AM | #87
Admittedly, if someone knows Star Wars only from the movies there are very few things that would ring a bell.

However, if you're into the Expanded Universe there are a lot of things that are cool. There are places like, say, Korriban, Corellia, Ord Mantell and Nar Shaddaa that I've always wanted to see (and we have visited some of them already through the KOTOR games), the Chiss, IMO, are in the game as a homage to the Thrawn books, the early history of the Sith is expanded and explained and so on. This may not mean much to the more... casual fans of the movies but it's awesome for the diehard geeks.

Sure, the game doesn't have the starpower of the characters and the settings of the movies but that doesn't mean that it has a bad setting. On the contrary, it contains much more of a surprise factor because you see and learn new things about the fictional universe you love. I prefer this over the possibility to fight the Clone Wars or the Civil War - we've been there and we've seen that.

platinumruggo's Avatar


platinumruggo
08.22.2012 , 07:04 PM | #88
Quote: Originally Posted by DPCummerbund View Post
So as I'm approaching level 50 with my first toon, I must say I'm disappointed with the level of "Star Warsyness" of this game. I would assume that BW and EA were willing to throw hundreds of millions of dollars at a game is the huge base of people out there who are Star Wars fans. Any by "Star Wars fans", I mean people who watched & liked the original trilogy.

For example, why does this Darth Malgus character show up all over the place? How many more people would play this game if it was Darth Vader?

So far, the only planets I've really liked are Tatooine and Hoth, and Alderaan. Before playing this game, I had never heard of Taris, or Nar Shadda, or Belsavis, or any of those other planets.

Okay, I sort of remember the Twi'lek dancers, so that's kind of cool. But who are the Mirakula, or whatever they're called? And those Chiss, or the Sith?

I'm sure lots of people who are familiar with the "Extended Universe" get all excited for references to Darth Revan, but the average person doesn't. Darth Revan wasn't worth a $100 million MMORPG. Darth Vader would be.
Real star wars fans would've played KOTOR and/or read the books/comics and would've known about all of these planets. Revan is worth an MMO considering most of the events that happen in this game are somehow related to his actions. Putting it in this era gives Bioware plenty of wiggle room to work with their own stories that meet GL's standards and they can do whatever without butting heads with the big wig himself.

Jedipixel's Avatar


Jedipixel
08.23.2012 , 05:11 AM | #89
Quote: Originally Posted by platinumruggo View Post
Real star wars fans would've played KOTOR and/or read the books/comics and would've known about all of these planets. Revan is worth an MMO considering most of the events that happen in this game are somehow related to his actions. Putting it in this era gives Bioware plenty of wiggle room to work with their own stories that meet GL's standards and they can do whatever without butting heads with the big wig himself.
I did not know Lucas had standards. He seems have this if I think it will make money I will ok it attitude.

Beniboybling's Avatar


Beniboybling
08.23.2012 , 08:23 AM | #90
Quote: Originally Posted by Jedipixel View Post
I saw this thread and had to post.

I have nothing against this ERA of time. But with me saying that it makes me annoyed that it was set so far back as it proves that this galaxy far far away is filled with idiots.

In 50 years we gone from computers the size could fill up an entire 3 bedroom house to something we carry around in our pockets. There is a natural scale of inovation that occurs naturally except in the StarWars Universe.

So very little has changed from TOR to the Prequals to the One and only True Trilogy . I just dont understand how Nothing appeared to change. Because I am sure that in the year 5012 earth will be exactly the same as it is today. Cars will still run on non existant oil, and they wont fly either. We still would not have sent anyone to Mars, and USA will still be #1 ... Oh please dont make me laugh.

Otherwise I love the story but found it best to try and play a group of characters at once to get the bigger picture makes it far more entertaining.
I have to say, this is something I noticed wrong with star wars as well. However its inevitable, if technology did increase at such fast pace, Luke Skywalker probably would have used a computer program to destroy the death star than fly in their (not to mention x-wing's would be automated). You could also say that at some point, technology started to slow down because we have discovered everything we where capable of discovering.

I'd also advise u play Force Unleashed - they do a gd job of 'modernizing' the empire era.

And about this era mistake thing, i think old republic is great, definitely more enjoyable than if it was in a empire era. Because taking orders from Darth Vader rather than Malgus just wouldn't seem 'real'. I'd be thinking 'your not really vader just some copy' cause vader can only seem real in the movies, just like old republic seems real in the game