Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

BW's first big mistake - the Era.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
BW's first big mistake - the Era.

CorellianWannabe
08.12.2012 , 06:15 PM | #51
Quote: Originally Posted by DPCummerbund View Post
So as I'm approaching level 50 with my first toon, I must say I'm disappointed with the level of "Star Warsyness" of this game. I would assume that BW and EA were willing to throw hundreds of millions of dollars at a game is the huge base of people out there who are Star Wars fans. Any by "Star Wars fans", I mean people who watched & liked the original trilogy.

For example, why does this Darth Malgus character show up all over the place? How many more people would play this game if it was Darth Vader?

So far, the only planets I've really liked are Tatooine and Hoth, and Alderaan. Before playing this game, I had never heard of Taris, or Nar Shadda, or Belsavis, or any of those other planets.

Okay, I sort of remember the Twi'lek dancers, so that's kind of cool. But who are the Mirakula, or whatever they're called? And those Chiss, or the Sith?

I'm sure lots of people who are familiar with the "Extended Universe" get all excited for references to Darth Revan, but the average person doesn't. Darth Revan wasn't worth a $100 million MMORPG. Darth Vader would be.
They had to set it before the first trilogy because players want their glowsticks.

BlazingShadow
08.12.2012 , 07:23 PM | #52
[QUOTE=RazielHex;5019680]Are you kidding? He was in every single cinematic leading up to the game's release.

He kills Satele Shan's Master, Kao Den Darach. He kills Darth Vindican, his own Master. He leads the assault on the Jedi Temple and destroys it. He kills Master Ven Zallow, the leader of the Temple. He's there in the assault of Alderaan. He nearly kills Satele Shan AND Jace Malcolm by himser?
Who dat?
Who dat?
Who dat?
Like vader?
When it got blown up?
...was this in the crappy prequel trilogy?

ScarletBlaze
08.12.2012 , 07:33 PM | #53
So as I'm approaching level 50 with my first toon, I must say I'm disappointed with the level of "Star Warsyness" of this game. I would assume that BW and EA were willing to throw hundreds of millions of dollars at a game is the huge base of people out there who are Star Wars fans. Any by "Star Wars fans", I mean people who watched & liked the original trilogy.

For example, why does this Darth Malgus character show up all over the place? How many more people would play this game if it was Darth Vader?

So far, the only planets I've really liked are Tatooine and Hoth, and Alderaan. Before playing this game, I had never heard of Taris, or Nar Shadda, or Belsavis, or any of those other planets.

Okay, I sort of remember the Twi'lek dancers, so that's kind of cool. But who are the Mirakula, or whatever they're called? And those Chiss, or the Sith?

I'm sure lots of people who are familiar with the "Extended Universe" get all excited for references to Darth Revan, but the average person doesn't. Darth Revan wasn't worth a $100 million MMORPG. Darth Vader would be.
i think this time period is perfect. They have more freedom than they had with the era SWG was based on.

Most people playing this game have also played Kotor and other games and know of Taris and the other planets.

And I haven't met anyone that doesn't know about the Sith.

There is more to being a Star Wars fans than just watching and knowing the movies. There are other books, etc that Star Wars know of. So saying the only Star Wars fans is the ones that only watched the movies is wrong. For me personally that was only the start of my Star Wars knowledge. I found the books and other items to increase my knowledge of Star Wars. I didn't base everything on the movies.
A southern girl is a girl who knows full well that she can open a door for herself but prefers for the gentleman to do it because it demonstrates a sense of respect. Current Guild Roleplay: Redemption: The battle of Xa Fel https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=...ps/r-1rAjOuo30

Darth-Rammstein
08.12.2012 , 07:40 PM | #54
Quote: Originally Posted by ScarletBlaze View Post
i think this time period is perfect. They have more freedom than they had with the era SWG was based on.
Yet swg still brought so much more to the table even with said restrictions.
Belgoth's Beacon ----> The Fatman ----> Prophecy of the Five

RazielHex
08.12.2012 , 08:38 PM | #55
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth-Rammstein View Post
Yet swg still brought so much more to the table even with said restrictions.
Like Zombies

And ripping off KOTOR by implementing HK-47

and including Mandalorians in a bunker in Endor

Oooh wait, all that **** makes no gosh darned sense.

Sniperrecon
08.13.2012 , 10:26 AM | #56
Quote: Originally Posted by RazielHex View Post
Like Zombies

And ripping off KOTOR by implementing HK-47

and including Mandalorians in a bunker in Endor

Oooh wait, all that **** makes no gosh darned sense.
Well , the Zombies were added after the book "Death Troopers" came out and was a way to explain where all the Zombies went after that. Made sense if you read the book.

HK-47 was easy to fit in there. Does everyone think there was only one HK-47? HK-47 was the make and model , so another droid of that model would be HK-47c or a HK-52 and then a HK-52a and so on.

The Mando's on Endor are a bit harder to read into lore , but not too hard. They are nomadic , so at this time they are still looking for a Leader (Fett later) and have no homeworld. They land on Endor and find a abandonded base. In the books , the Death Watch did take refuge on Endor for a time , untill the Empire moved in and started setting up bases.
Sniperrecon_USMC
Ex-Elder Jedi
Assassin for VICE guild of Chilistra (formally from Tempest)
7 yrs. with SWG , 18+ toons on a server. Master of all profession in SWG.

Brittaany_Banks
08.13.2012 , 11:03 AM | #57
Quote: Originally Posted by RazielHex View Post
Are you kidding?
Spoiler
No offense but you need to wrap spoilers around your post
I don't care who you are. I don't care if you are male, or female, black, or white, gay, or straight, religious, or non-religious, old or young. I care about 3 things. Can you tank properly? Can you DPS properly? Can you heal properly?

Fyurii
08.13.2012 , 11:35 AM | #58
Quote: Originally Posted by Sniperrecon View Post
HK-47 was easy to fit in there. Does everyone think there was only one HK-47? HK-47 was the make and model , so another droid of that model would be HK-47c or a HK-52 and then a HK-52a and so on.
No, there was only one HK-47. It was the same droid from KoTOR, KoTOR2 and TOR that was in SWG, built by Darth Revan.
His program was uploaded onto the computer systems of an Old Republic warship that was found crashed on Mustufar.
Players wound up giving him a new body, control of a droid production facility which he used to build a new body and a droid army of his own so he could wage war on the rest of the galaxy.

Seriously, go play KoTOR and KoTOR2.
(KoTOR2 with the Restored Content Mod, as Lucas Arts forced Obsidian to release the game after approximately only 6-7 months ot total development time.)
________║≤o≥║___________
/_______TROOPER___≡≡≡≡≡≡≡╡
\_/‾‾‾‾ // ╝‾‾╚▄▄▄▄▄/‾‾‾‾‾

AlyxDinas
08.13.2012 , 11:42 AM | #59
It provides freedom to the writers. Choosing another era doesn't let them do what they want for class stories and such. It would limit them. Completely unexplored territory let's them work pretty free from the shackles of continuity.
'Jeos Dinas'-Ebon Hawk
Manager, The Ebon Hawk Bounty Board
"Perception Problem."

Path-x
08.13.2012 , 06:49 PM | #60
I think the only planet that is really well made is Tatooine. It actually feels like Tatooine from Star Wars films. That cannot be said for Hoth (imo ofc). Hoth, to me, doesn't feel anything like the Hoth from ESB. As for Alderaan, it feels like I am playing some medieval-like MMO such as WoW or EQ and not Star Wars.

Nar Shadda is very basic and iconic planet of EU. Everyone with a little knowledge of EU knows it. But again SWTOR made it wrong, contradicting the previously established sources. Well if you haven't heard of Taris and Revan I strongly suggest you play original KOTOR. It really is better than SWTOR, imo ofc. It is like the prequels we hoped for.

You don't know how stupid that sounds to someone like me. I have seen a video game (Force Unleashed) featuring Vader and I can tell you it is a disaster. I wish I could wipe my memory of that blasphemy. A character like Vader is sacred and should NOT be fiddled with because it will just degrade it. EU already ruined and degraded enough characters, concepts and elements from OT (for example: force lighting, turning back from the dark side etc).
Jedi: You won the day, Sith. So, kill me if you must.
Warrior: I must.