Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

BW's first big mistake - the Era.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
BW's first big mistake - the Era.

theUndead
10.04.2012 , 11:32 AM | #91
Quote: Originally Posted by DPCummerbund View Post
Yes, I've been paying attention to the story in this game. But my point is that none of these things are in the original trilogy. And if the whole point in throwing a bunch of money at an established franchise - and then making it F2P to attract casual gamers - is to appeal to the casual players and casual fans, none of whom know or care who Darth Malgus is.

And pretty much every comment I've seen about Darth Malgus on on-gaming sites is "Who is this guy? He looks like Darth Vader, except without a mask. How lame."
Please explain to me why the story has to be in tune with the original trilogy?

Also where is your proof that casual gamers don't know who Darth Malgus is? The fact is both KOTOR 1 and KOTOR 2 where set in a particular timeline and this game followed on from that. Furthermore, I think it is safe to say that those gamers who love anything to do with the STARWARS universe will take the time to research all the info they can so they can enhance their enjoyment. So in conclusion there is nothing wrong with this time frame and I for one am incredibly pleased that it's different from the ordinal trilogy.
The Hellion Legacy (Harbinger)
Referal Link
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
As theUndead mentioned, I can't exactly spell out all of our policies in depth, but that should hopefully cover your concerns.

errant_knight
10.04.2012 , 11:39 AM | #92
Quote: Originally Posted by RazielHex View Post
Are you kidding? He was in every single cinematic leading up to the game's release.

He kills Satele Shan's Master, Kao Den Darach. He kills Darth Vindican, his own Master. He leads the assault on the Jedi Temple and destroys it. He kills Master Ven Zallow, the leader of the Temple. He's there in the assault of Alderaan. He nearly kills Satele Shan AND Jace Malcolm by himself!

He orchestrates everything the Empire does. Every single flashpoint is a single stroke of his master plan. He has the players go to Hammer Station in order to obtain the Advocent technology. He has the players go attack Clan Varad in order to gain an allegiance of a competing Mandalorian Clan. He has players track down and kill Darth Revan so he can control the Foundry. He has the players perform in the Colicoid War games to have access to their weaponry. He has the players assault the Red Reaper and kill his Master's master, Darth Ikoral, to ensure that the Pureblood Hegemony will not return to the Empire.

Then when all of this is complete, he performs a coup d'etat, using every single element of all the previous flashpoints as his own tools to become the New Emperor so he could make the Sith Empire more like the Republic.
All this. I have to really tie my LS imperials into RP knots to explain why they don't join him. Hope that's an option in future,or we get more reason not to. I have to focus on the loss of imperial lives and weakening the empire at a time of war, but it's not easy and it doesn't hold water very well. They have way more in common with him than the emperor.

As to the era, it's a very good thing it's not in the movie era. There's be wailing and flailing over every single solitary little detail.

Journeyer
10.04.2012 , 11:44 AM | #93
While you are correct about the popularity of the original films, OP, you may have missed the words "Old Republic" in the title of the game. The Knights of the Old Republic was Bioware's breakout success in the RPG genre, and it won nearly every gaming award for nearly every category in every major gaming awards contest. It's a massively successful franchise that gives Bioware the complete freedom to explore what the Republic, Jedi, and Sith might have been like before the future that we all knew from the movies.

It's not that a present-day Star Wars game wouldn't be popular, per se, but It would be impractical as an MMO; that story is already told, and it has no room in it for a half million galactic heroes like you and me.
I make useful, game-expanding suggestions.
Holorancor | Food! | Outfit Storage | My Career | Ultimate PvE Solution

TrumpetNut
10.30.2012 , 08:53 PM | #94
So as I'm approaching level 50 with my first toon, I must say I'm disappointed with the level of "Star Warsyness" of this game. I would assume that BW and EA were willing to throw hundreds of millions of dollars at a game is the huge base of people out there who are Star Wars fans. Any by "Star Wars fans", I mean people who watched & liked the original trilogy.

For example, why does this Darth Malgus character show up all over the place? How many more people would play this game if it was Darth Vader?

So far, the only planets I've really liked are Tatooine and Hoth, and Alderaan. Before playing this game, I had never heard of Taris, or Nar Shadda, or Belsavis, or any of those other planets.

Okay, I sort of remember the Twi'lek dancers, so that's kind of cool. But who are the Mirakula, or whatever they're called? And those Chiss, or the Sith?

I'm sure lots of people who are familiar with the "Extended Universe" get all excited for references to Darth Revan, but the average person doesn't. Darth Revan wasn't worth a $100 million MMORPG. Darth Vader would be.
Yes my dad is like, "Kelli, don't you think that that game should be in the time around the movie?" And my boyfriend was just like, (Facepalm: 50th time he said that) I like the story and the era or whatever and the stuff that isn't around in the movies. Btw episode 1-3 where just fail.

TalonVII
10.31.2012 , 08:20 AM | #95
So as I'm approaching level 50 with my first toon, I must say I'm disappointed with the level of "Star Warsyness" of this game. I would assume that BW and EA were willing to throw hundreds of millions of dollars at a game is the huge base of people out there who are Star Wars fans. Any by "Star Wars fans", I mean people who watched & liked the original trilogy.

For example, why does this Darth Malgus character show up all over the place? How many more people would play this game if it was Darth Vader?

So far, the only planets I've really liked are Tatooine and Hoth, and Alderaan. Before playing this game, I had never heard of Taris, or Nar Shadda, or Belsavis, or any of those other planets.

Okay, I sort of remember the Twi'lek dancers, so that's kind of cool. But who are the Mirakula, or whatever they're called? And those Chiss, or the Sith?

I'm sure lots of people who are familiar with the "Extended Universe" get all excited for references to Darth Revan, but the average person doesn't. Darth Revan wasn't worth a $100 million MMORPG. Darth Vader would be.
Problem is, you'd only have about 4 maybe 5 classes TOTAL. Sith and Jedi...gone. Can't have them without totally re-writing the OT and well know how that goes...oh wait it doesn't.

So on the imperial side, you'd have IA and BH. That's about it. On the Rebel side, smuggler and Trooper, but the armor would completely different. You'd have basically the Essles/Talon 17A/Commando style armors and that's about it.

Boy sounds like a REAL fun game. Also Alderaan is gone, Hoth, well guess you could do the evacuation of Hoth, Endor i guess you could do the final battle. Oh wait already sounds like a game I've played. BATTLEFRONT II.

Sorry OP, putting this in the OT movies, there would be so LITTLE to do, it would be BORING.

By doing it 3000 years in the past, there is so much that had been unwritten, it was an open canvas, and guess what, jedi and sith galore.

Sorry I don't want to basically have a re-hash of battlefront as an MMO. That would just be plain BORING.
Pretty, so what do we blow up first? -Wraith Squadron Motto
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy
Finished: Trooper, Agent, Knight, Inquisitor, Smuggler

Fyuria
11.01.2012 , 01:35 AM | #96
Hearing that this was going to be set in the old republic era is what originally got me interested in this game, and it gives them so much more freedom to explore the star wars universe.

While if it was set in the OT it would be far too limiting and restricting.

Darth_Taral
11.01.2012 , 11:38 AM | #97
I am happy that Star Wars: The Old Republic is set during the Old Republic Era.

I would honestly be confused if it weren't.

eldefail
11.07.2012 , 03:36 AM | #98
I'm a casual star wars fan. I love episodes 4, 5, and 6, I've been watching them since I was a small child in the late 80s. I grew up with Star Wars in the VCR and able to quote the original trilogy word for word for as long as I can remember. I do not like the new prequels.

I also played KOTOR and KOTOR II. I played SWG a little bit. The only other Star Wars game I played was Rogue Squadron and some silly pod-racing mario kart ripoff.

I like The Old Republic era best. I like that this game is set in the old republic. I like that it's a sequel to KOTOR, one of my favorite RPGs of ALL TIME. I remember reading about KOTOR III, and then learning it was cancelled and I was so bummed. Learned about SWTOR and practically did cartwheels.

OP, speak for yourself. I'm a casual fan. I didn't even know *** a chiss was, or a mirialan, or nautolan. I also know that I want to play Sith and Jedi, and in the movie era I CAN'T, it would be ludicrous and wouldn't make sense. I like that the game is set in a timeline that leaves Bioware plenty of time to grow and develop the game without being constrained to a short time period or working within a tight set of boundaries without contradicting the movies.

I love the old trilogy, but I also love the old republic. Unlike you most other people I know who are casual star wars fans--that is, we've seen the movies and played a few videogames--don't feel that just because it wasn't part of a movie produced in the 70s/80s it isn't canon or any good. Most of us agree that the prequels were bad, but mostly because they were poorly written, cast, and directed. Everybody who's played KOTOR liked the setting, and I have a hunch they'd enjoy SWTOR too.

I like Malgus. I really, really do. Thanks to the prequels Darth Vader is an angsty emo whiny brat. So far nobody's ruined Malgus for me, though.

JekRendar
11.07.2012 , 10:00 AM | #99
Quote: Originally Posted by TalonVII View Post
Boy sounds like a REAL fun game. Also Alderaan is gone, Hoth, well guess you could do the evacuation of Hoth, Endor i guess you could do the final battle. Oh wait already sounds like a game I've played. BATTLEFRONT II.
I lol'd.

The Original Star Wars MMO sold over 2M+ as a Pre-Warcrap game and yet managed to be very fun and enjoyable. Your lack of creativity is hilarious.
Star Wars Galaxies (Starsider): June 27, 2003 - December 15, 2011

Nydus
11.07.2012 , 10:44 AM | #100
Any by "Star Wars fans", I mean people who watched & liked the original trilogy.
Then you could have tried the incredibly annoying SWG. Being locked into a story with the original trilogy characters was hardly fun. You literally couldn't make a dent in the direction of the universe.

Quote:
How many more people would play this game if it was Darth Vader?
Darth Vader is a ponce.

Quote:
This game is a sequel to Knights of the Old Republic. Taris and Nar Shadda featured prominently. Oddly enough, I detested Tatooine and Hoth. Alderaan and Balmorra were entertaining to me.

Quote:
But who are the Mirakula, or whatever they're called? And those Chiss, or the Sith?
Who are the Sith and Chiss?!?! Mirakula, I do understand they are hardly heavyweights in the SW universe, but the Chiss and Sith are referenced heavily in the extended universe.

Quote:
Errrr... And what exactly would you accomplish with Darth Vader? Considering you know exactly how he dies?

As for Revan, he is barely in the game and as a sequel to Knights of the Old Republic he HAD to be referenced somewhat.

- Arcada
The Arcada Legacy (Ebon Hawk)
Ord'os (Lvl.55 Sorcerer), Naresa (Lvl.53 Operative), Jagrafess (Lvl.19 Marauder)
Nydus (Lvl.54 Shadow), Toclafane (Lvl.27 Guardian)