Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Palpatin and cloning


RixoFutu's Avatar


RixoFutu
08.12.2012 , 11:16 AM | #1
I was wondering - why Palpatin didn't used the Kamino cloning facility to get young and healty new Anakin or even himself (i know he was cloned in some novel, but i don't know if it's some kind of canon or not at all)? According to book Dark Lord: Rise of Darth Vader, Palpatin wanted better apprentice, maybe stronger and mainly fully healthy. Vader was just his pawn for playing mainly.
"Once, I thought myself a monster. I played in rivers of blood and laughed as innocents quaked. Yet when I touched the Dread Masters, I saw that my darkness was but a shadow of true depravity."

PaerisKiran's Avatar


PaerisKiran
08.12.2012 , 11:51 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by RixoFutu View Post
I was wondering - why Palpatin didn't used the Camino cloning facility to get young and healty new Anakin or even himself (i know he was cloned in some novel, but i don't know if it's some kind of canon or not at all)? According to book Dark Lord: Rise of Darth Vader, Palpatin wanted better apprentice, maybe stronger and mainly fully healthy. Vader was just his pawn for playing mainly.
Because Camino was leveled by imperial forces after cloning was banned for non-goverment purposes.
And Camino clones were by no means perfect, and cloning a force sensitive is problematic... brain gets damaged and therefore not very good "vessel", 1 clone in thousands is marginaly good.

Spaarti clones were marginaly better but as far as force sensitivs go results weren´t really better... and Thrawn´s trick with Ysalamiry wasn´t truly working in this respect.
When all the world is overcharged with inhabitants, then the last remedy od all is war, which provided for every man, by victory or death.

Aurbere's Avatar


Aurbere
08.12.2012 , 11:56 AM | #3
Your thinking of the watery world of Kamino. An El Camino is an automobile.

As to the topic at hand. Anakin is the Chosen One. Cloning him would not yield the same power that Anakin had. And Palpatine did clone himself after death.
Added Chapter 35 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

Tuscad's Avatar


Tuscad
08.12.2012 , 02:02 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
Your thinking of the watery world of Kamino. An El Camino is an automobile.

As to the topic at hand. Anakin is the Chosen One. Cloning him would not yield the same power that Anakin had. And Palpatine did clone himself after death.
^ This. Also Force clones have been established as going insane, there are two exceptions to this Battlefront: Elite Squadron and The Force Unleashed II. Palpatine's clones didn't go insane because Palpatine was in direct control of them.
Date Joined: March 2009 - Date unsubbed: 9/18/2012
It's been real but the game just wasn't worth the sub for me anymore.
Star Wars: First Assault is an Xbox Live Arcade game: http://kotaku.com/5948064/um-whats-t...ox-live-arcade

PaerisKiran's Avatar


PaerisKiran
08.12.2012 , 02:27 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Tuscad View Post
^ This. Also Force clones have been established as going insane, there are two exceptions to this Battlefront: Elite Squadron and The Force Unleashed II. Palpatine's clones didn't go insane because Palpatine was in direct control of them.
In both "exceptions" cloning was efectively result of "trial and error" aproach (Kaminoans were quite lucky... but truth be told experiment really had only 50 percent succes in terms of sanity ... X1 did not end very well)
I would not bother counting how much attempts it took to clone Marek for result to be at lest as sane as it was.

(And Palpatine´s clones had insanely low lifespan)
When all the world is overcharged with inhabitants, then the last remedy od all is war, which provided for every man, by victory or death.

Kltpxyzm's Avatar


Kltpxyzm
08.12.2012 , 02:50 PM | #6
There's a series of books named the Thrawn Trilogy by the esteemed sci-fi writer Timothy Zahn. I think it relates to OP's interests.

The books are Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising and The Last Command.

Aurbere's Avatar


Aurbere
08.12.2012 , 03:31 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Kltpxyzm View Post
There's a series of books named the Thrawn Trilogy by the esteemed sci-fi writer Timothy Zahn. I think it relates to OP's interests.

The books are Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising and The Last Command.
These are the best EU books imo.
Added Chapter 35 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

Tuscad's Avatar


Tuscad
08.12.2012 , 04:32 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by PaerisKiran View Post
In both "exceptions" cloning was efectively result of "trial and error" aproach (Kaminoans were quite lucky... but truth be told experiment really had only 50 percent succes in terms of sanity ... X1 did not end very well)
I would not bother counting how much attempts it took to clone Marek for result to be at lest as sane as it was.

(And Palpatine´s clones had insanely low lifespan)
That is true. Wasn't Palpatine's clones low lifespan a result of the Dark Side energies that his spirit contained?
Date Joined: March 2009 - Date unsubbed: 9/18/2012
It's been real but the game just wasn't worth the sub for me anymore.
Star Wars: First Assault is an Xbox Live Arcade game: http://kotaku.com/5948064/um-whats-t...ox-live-arcade

HaltHammerzeit's Avatar


HaltHammerzeit
08.12.2012 , 05:09 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Tuscad View Post
That is true. Wasn't Palpatine's clones low lifespan a result of the Dark Side energies that his spirit contained?
This, but I also think the clones that Palpatine transferred into were empty so he could just transfer his essence into them with no troubles.

Tuscad's Avatar


Tuscad
08.12.2012 , 05:16 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by HaltHammerzeit View Post
This, but I also think the clones that Palpatine transferred into were empty so he could just transfer his essence into them with no troubles.
I believe they were empty, otherwise there would have been some sort of internal struggle during the possession process like the one that Darth Bane had with Darth Zannah. Palpatine is all about not taking chances when he can avoid it.
Date Joined: March 2009 - Date unsubbed: 9/18/2012
It's been real but the game just wasn't worth the sub for me anymore.
Star Wars: First Assault is an Xbox Live Arcade game: http://kotaku.com/5948064/um-whats-t...ox-live-arcade