Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Biochem] How to make money as a biochem?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
[Biochem] How to make money as a biochem?

08.11.2012 , 07:12 PM | #1
I took biochem to boost my own character and had no real intentions of making any money on it. Hence, I haven't looked into the whole biochem market, assuming there is one.

Well, with legacy stuff and alts costing a small fortune to maintain it would be nice to make some money on my crew skill, so what am I supposed to focus on?

08.11.2012 , 09:01 PM | #2
I've never leveled one but I know when I play my non healer alts I'm always looking for the heal kits that heal both you and companion. It seems like they are hard to find so maybe a market there.

08.11.2012 , 09:54 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Jenarie View Post
I've never leveled one but I know when I play my non healer alts I'm always looking for the heal kits that heal both you and companion. It seems like they are hard to find so maybe a market there.
People actually use those?

What makes it hard for me to determine what people want is that I've never really used biochem items until I've reached 50. I just don't see any point in med kits, stims etc between 1-49 and whenever I find one I'll instantly sell it. The things I make when leveling biochem are re-d'. Hell, I'm never even using medpacks in warzones.

Do people buy those things for operations?

08.11.2012 , 10:36 PM | #4
any real player uses stims and medpacks for ops and warzones make some high lvl stims and med packs and put them on the gtn see how they go i bet they will be bought since they are useful for high end lvl stuff

08.13.2012 , 11:22 AM | #5

My character (level 21 Merc Alt) has max skill and has made 1 million credits over the course of about a month crafting and selling Tier 1 and 2 Purple Level 21 Implants.

The Implant schematics are all dropped schematics, so the best place to look for these schematics are on your server's GTN under [Crafting Schematics] [Biochem].

These start as Blue schematics, which can be reverse engineered to Tier 1 Purples (Critical, Overkill, Redoubt).
Tier 1 Purples can further be RE'ed into Tier 2 Purples.

I usually sell my Tier 1 Purples for 6000 credits (Augmented ones at 9000 credits) and Tier 2 Purples for 9000 credits (Augmented Tier 2 at 12000 credits)
Price them too high (like over 10k credits) and no one will buy them.
Price them too low, and someone will come along and buy them all and re-post them for a higher amount :P
Prices per Server may differ, but I have been doing well at my price ranges.
My slightly over-spec Rig, built specifically for Swtor: Core i7 3820 OC'ed @4.6GHz / MSI X79A-GD65 Mobo / Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866MHz 8GB x8 / Four 120GB 6Gb/s SSD in RAID0 / nVidia GTX Titan / Enermax Platimax 1200 watt PSU / 3 Acer HN274Hbmiiid 3D Compatible 27inch monitors. CPU and the GTX Titan are custom water-cooled.

08.13.2012 , 02:36 PM | #6
Exotech stims sell moderately well on my server (17-19k each, depending on the day). The luckier you get with critting on your normal abundant medical supplies quests, the more you make (obviously). If you check often enough, you can usually find at least 1-2 340 diplomacy missions for 15k every day. There's always someone out there that horrifically undercharges the usual 20k that is sought.

08.13.2012 , 05:03 PM | #7
I figured I'd post a reply to this thread, rather than starting a new one, since my question is almost the same as the OP:

I'm a brand new player working on my first character (a level 18 Trooper, leaning towards healing), and I did a little bit of research on the Crew Skills before diving right in. I figured that selling consumables would make more sense than trying to compete against mission rewards (so armor, weapons, and weaving were right out) and picked up Biochem, Bioanalysis, and Diplomacy to make drugs. Sorry, medicine. That you inject. To get a limited bonus that improves your abil- oh, it's drugs, isn't it? Oh well, I am going a bit Dark Side anyway.

The problem is that there seems to be no market for lower level stims and medpacks (I'm on BC server), and that between running Diplomacy missions and the price of up and coming recipes, I'm losing rather than making a considerable amount of credits. The only profit I have ever turned has come from selling the raw materials that I harvest in the field and the supplies my companions bring back - making my actual "crafting" skill worse than useless.

So all that long winded exposition was for a handful of questions: am I supposed to be selling raw materials to make money, and losing credits on finished goods? If that's the case, should I just give up on Biochem until I'm higher level and rolling in great big heaps of credits before working it up (It's currently 154, gatherings at 206, and diplomacy is at 200 even) to a level where it becomes profitable? Right now it just feels like there's no way to get more value out of a stim (which sells for about 500cr) than the materials that go into it (nearly 1000cr, depending on market price). Am I a noob, and missing something here?

08.14.2012 , 05:19 AM | #8
Yes. You'll lose money on it at the beginning. You'll make money, however, for the blue/purple crafted items. You should be making tons of low-end stuff and RE'ing it for better recipes, working your way up the tiers.

08.14.2012 , 05:23 AM | #9
Do enough group finder daily hardmodes so that you get 20 black hole commendations. Then buy a recipie for exotech stims from the black hole vendor in the fleet. Hes at supplies area
Maekor - 55 Juggernaut
Andrine - 55 shadow
Kintara - 55 Powertech
Zaekor - 55 Sniper

09.03.2012 , 06:44 PM | #10
It all depends on your server is the answer.

But in general, if you really want to make money, you have to track how much your missions are, the prices of items you can make on the gym, and the prices of the raw materials on the gtn. If you don't, you may find yourself spending more to sell for less, which is a money LOSING proposition. On my server, I've seen the prices of raw materials fluctuate so much that sometimes it is more profitable to only make things for myself and sell the raw materials. Other times, the raw materials are so over-priced no one buys them and you're better off crafting things to sell. You also have to keep track of the cost or discovery missions. Too many people buy these not realizing they are taking a loss on the value of the materials they have gotten.

If you're just starting off, you don't have to get every recipe from the trainer. It costs a lot when you get from 300-400. If you want to get to biochem 400 cheaply, find the cheapest thing you can make with the fewest materials and only craft oranges (give you more biochem points to craft). Just make that one thing til you can get the next level of cheap recipe and only get that one. You will get to 400 with few recipes but once there, you can make more money selling the best cost to price item on the gtn or selling the most profitable raw materials. It also helps a lot for you to utilize the strengths of your companions. I only have Doc craft my biochem because he has a biochem crit bonus. Nadia has a diplomacy crit so she does diplomacy missions.

Also, keep in mind, that some raw materials can be bought cheaper then you sending companions out to get them on missions.

Find your niche. Own your niche. In general, I only sell a few items. I know the different people who make those items and how much they try to sell them for. I know the market for the materials that make those items too. Do what's profitable. Always be in the look out for new opportunities. While leveling another toon, I noticed there were a of items for that class/level that no one makes. I'll be experimenting to see if that is an oversight or because no one buys them. Lastly, keep in mind the law of supply and demand. Don't flood your market with a million items or you will see the prices drop.

Good luck.

Dirr/Colja on Harbinger