Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

In-Game Events & Terms Of Service

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
In-Game Events & Terms Of Service
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

PurpleCliff
08.11.2012 , 02:30 AM | #1
Just a quick question. Is there anything about a community-run in-game "lottery" - run by players - that could be against any game rules? I've looked around and can't see anything against it. I'm hoping to organize a little community event lottery on my server.

Thanks for any help!

Hawath
08.11.2012 , 02:45 AM | #2 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Greetings PurpleCliff,

To answer your question, it depends on the lottery itself. As it is very dependent on luck (or randomness should be a more accurate term), it is related to gambling. Regarding this, I will quote our policy :

Quote:
At BioWare we wish to offer our players the most enjoyable game experience at all times. Due to the nature of the gambling services and since players interacting with such services will always end with a loss we are not allowing these in the game. Any gains from running such a service will be removed and any loss from such a service will not be reinstated, so avoid interacting with such services.
That being said, to be 100% sure that the particular kind of lottery you have in mind is not in violation of our Terms of Services, we would recommend you to submit a ticket for our specialized team to look into it, they'll be able to either give you a green light or explain why we cannot allow this.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you for your interest in Star Wars: The Old Republic

Hawath | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support

PurpleCliff
08.11.2012 , 02:57 AM | #3
Thanks for the reply. That's rather annoying .. I'll do as you say and send a message to support to check.

And if anyone thinks of a way to 'modify' a lottery system so that it isn't gambling, please let me know

warriorcat
08.11.2012 , 03:52 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by PurpleCliff View Post
Thanks for the reply. That's rather annoying .. I'll do as you say and send a message to support to check.

And if anyone thinks of a way to 'modify' a lottery system so that it isn't gambling, please let me know
(you would work out with less than you started with (i am guess you want an entry fee for this this is the bit that where your risking your credits therefor gambaling) you could do give aways do giveaway's i guess, and hope that ppl pay you out of kindness but not gonna happen on my server

(i thought of doing some spar like things where players/guilds would put lets say 300k each in winner gets 600k (or items) this event could be classed as gambaling i beleave this dont happen anymore not enough challangers for the overpowered pvp guilds, i only started this because their is no rewards for open world pvp we needed something and credits and items seems like a good idea...

PurpleCliff
08.11.2012 , 04:03 AM | #5
Yeah it's honestly quite strange that BioWare are against such things, they can be the foundation for some really great MMO community events. And a lot of the game systems already have many elements of luck/gambling.

Alas, I don't mean to whine. What if it were an event in a cantina, and everyone has to pay an entrance fee to get in, otherwise they are PvP'd out? Ugh I'm scrambling for ideas now.

warriorcat
08.11.2012 , 05:48 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by PurpleCliff View Post
Yeah it's honestly quite strange that BioWare are against such things, they can be the foundation for some really great MMO community events. And a lot of the game systems already have many elements of luck/gambling.

Alas, I don't mean to whine. What if it were an event in a cantina, and everyone has to pay an entrance fee to get in, otherwise they are PvP'd out? Ugh I'm scrambling for ideas now.
yer i know what you mean i think bioware will have to go over some terms and conditons with their event team... maybe think off adding something for the players. i dont no what are the punishments for gambleing and stuff and i dont want to find out (ill organise gambleing activities off of the website and keep within guild who not gonna hand you in to the police ) i have no credits so i cant really do that though

Draloch
08.11.2012 , 06:10 AM | #7
I read the intent of that policy to prohibit profit off of providing a gambling service.

If you're managing a lottery where all the money paid into the lottery is paid out to winners, I don't read that as being in against the policy (i.e. there is no "loss").

Another way of looking at it is when an item drops in a raid and everyone does a "random" roll of a 100 sided dice for the item (which, incidentally, is what happens every time an item drops in the game), that's not against the gambling policy, because it doesn't involve player interaction with a gambling service where there is a "loss."

If no one is taking a cut of whatever the prize is, it's probably not covered by this policy. At least that's how I read the intent. Still submit a ticket with the specifics of your lottery plan, but I'd make sure to highlight the fact that the service will not result in anyone profiting off of management of the lottery.

PurpleCliff
08.11.2012 , 07:30 AM | #8
Yeah hopefully you're right Draloch. Even then though, I wish they weren't quite so controlling. The dynamics the community can create are something only MMO games can achieve.

Will see what support tells me when they reply.

PurpleCliff
08.11.2012 , 09:57 PM | #9
Still no reply. Is email support active over the weekend?

Sutii
08.11.2012 , 10:47 PM | #10 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hello PurpleCliff,

Support is present 24/7, however each request can take some time to be investigated and responded to dependant upon the complexity of the request. I can however confirm that I've looked into the status of your ticket and it is still open and will be dealt with in due course.

If there is anything else we can assist you with please let us know.

Thanks.
Sutii | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support