Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

To those against F2P...


Metalmac's Avatar


Metalmac
08.10.2012 , 10:04 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by zwipe View Post
just curious, who has actually played a f2p mmo on an at least semi-committed schedule? I've played a couple sub-based mmo's that went ftp, and they actually improved a lot over their prior sub-based models (regular content additions, smaller but more productive community, etc.), which is why i have trouble understanding all the f2p bashing.

Maybe i just got lucky in my choices, but how did f2p leave such bad taste in your mouths?
server lag will be intolerable when f2p hits

Reble-Dog-Squad's Avatar


Reble-Dog-Squad
08.10.2012 , 10:44 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Metalmac View Post
server lag will be intolerable when f2p hits
That is why i think they have locked servers and not deleted them as these will be opened for F2P
Australian CE VIP

Welcome to SWTOR, Click on the link below to gain in game rewards
http://www.swtor.com/r/42CvHk

Blaac's Avatar


Blaac
08.10.2012 , 10:52 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Zwipe View Post
I like the idea of having dedicated servers for subscribers.
I don't, because it doesn't allow for players to switch between F2P and Sub models if their situation changes.
~KNOWLEDGE IS POWER AND TRUE SITH DO NOT SHARE POWER~

* *

AboB's Avatar


AboB
08.10.2012 , 11:30 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Zwipe View Post
I like the idea of having dedicated servers for subscribers.
Quote: Originally Posted by Blaac View Post
I don't, because it doesn't allow for players to switch between F2P and Sub models if their situation changes.
It does allow for for players to switch between F2P and Sub models if their situation changes, through paid server transfers. All it would take to switch is a moments consideration, and a small fee. I suppose it will truly break down to how comfortable any one person will feel about paying for consistent content, like expanded inventory, FP access, better WZ access, versus paying for cosmetic items, travel buffs, queue-ing buffs or not paying for anything at all for a scaled-down experience.

Darth-Rammstein's Avatar


Darth-Rammstein
08.10.2012 , 11:40 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Reble-Dog-Squad View Post
That is why i think they have locked servers and not deleted them as these will be opened for F2P
If the f2p turns out to be a big success and lots of people flood in they will have to open acouple more servers, most of the 12 US servers don't look like they can take too much more. On the other hand that won't look good to new members if they are placed in a newly opened empty server.
Belgoth's Beacon ----> The Fatman ----> Prophecy of the Five ----> The Ebon Hawk
http://www.swtor.com/r/RC8V8V New and Old players welcome to use my referral for rewards, much appreciated.

LordSkyKnight's Avatar


LordSkyKnight
08.10.2012 , 11:48 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth-Rammstein View Post
If the f2p turns out to be a big success and lots of people flood in they will have to open acouple more servers, most of the 12 US servers don't look like they can take too much more. On the other hand that won't look good to new members if they are placed in a newly opened empty server.

Free to play doesn't turn games into successes. Companies turn to this option when the game fails at being a decent mmo and have problems retaining subs. Companies slim down, lay people off, reduce updates, and add in cash shops to bring in revenue. You people need to stop kidding yourselves. Lotro, EQ2 changed to this option because the games where sinking.

Swtor has failed at being a mainstream mmo and this is the result. The game will continue to survive yes but it wont turn out to be the game that everyone hoped it would be from the start.

jason_ralph's Avatar


jason_ralph
08.11.2012 , 12:12 AM | #17
I did.
I bought the collector's edition of a MMO when it launched.
Was part of the initial rush when the servers where clugged full of people logging in and spent over an hour waiting to get in game.
I was there when the server populations dwindled, and we were put onto other servers.
I was there when you had to sit through a queue to log in, once again.
I was there when it went from P2P to F2P.
Then I left it for SW:TOR because the developers thought it was okay to limit everything you can (see cash cap=you can't fully repair your gear).
Only to repeat the above process.
Bought the collector's edition.
Sat through login queues.
Went through server mergers.
Went through a login queue again.
Now here for another P2P to F2P transition.
Thanks but no thanks. I have watched how this plays out, and I don't want to be part of it.

Oh, and for the record: $149.99 for 1000 Cartel Coins is a poor conversion rate, and if I had known this ahead of time, I would have saved my money and not spent it on this. 1600 MS points for $19.99 so I can get the new ME3 Leviathan DLC when it comes out sounds a lot better than this. At least there I know what I am getting prior to having spent my money.
(over heard on a bounty hunter's star ship)
"You took down the Mandalorian Killer?".
"Yep. Blasted him and the star ship he flew in on".

Zwipe's Avatar


Zwipe
08.11.2012 , 12:13 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by LordSkyKnight View Post
Free to play doesn't turn games into successes. Companies turn to this option when the game fails at being a decent mmo and have problems retaining subs. Companies slim down, lay people off, reduce updates, and add in cash shops to bring in revenue. You people need to stop kidding yourselves. Lotro, EQ2 changed to this option because the games where sinking.

Swtor has failed at being a mainstream mmo and this is the result. The game will continue to survive yes but it wont turn out to be the game that everyone hoped it would be from the start.
Just because it doesnt have 10 million subs and 8+ years worth of content doesn't make an mmo a failure. Actually, the ones who were really kidding themselves were the ones who expected SWTOR to be some kind of mmo messiah. F2P or not, those who were looking to quit are going to quit no matter what because they plain and simply cannot afford to have 2 gaming subs.

Zwipe's Avatar


Zwipe
08.11.2012 , 12:14 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by LordSkyKnight View Post
Free to play doesn't turn games into successes. Companies turn to this option when the game fails at being a decent mmo and have problems retaining subs. Companies slim down, lay people off, reduce updates, and add in cash shops to bring in revenue. You people need to stop kidding yourselves. Lotro, EQ2 changed to this option because the games where sinking.

Swtor has failed at being a mainstream mmo and this is the result. The game will continue to survive yes but it wont turn out to be the game that everyone hoped it would be from the start.
Just because it doesnt have 10 million subs and 8+ years worth of content doesn't make an mmo a failure. Actually, the ones who were really kidding themselves were the ones who expected SWTOR to be some kind of mmo messiah. F2P or not, those who were looking to quit are going to quit no matter what.

flyersfan's Avatar


flyersfan
08.11.2012 , 12:21 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by hippiechick View Post
I played and betad both the pay version and F2P version of LOTRO and DDO. DDO was bad to begin with and F2P made it worse. LOTRO was good to begin with and F2P made it worse.

I love this game but F2P launch day is my last day here.

M
Why what made it worse? Was there something that was added that you didn't like? Was there some kind of intense change in the gameplay? I'd really appreciate some explanation other than "made it worse," "it was bad," or "I don't like this." Otherwise, I just presume that you say it's worse because everyone else told you that that's how you should feel. I really see no reasons on the horizon that would make TOR instantly worse on the day the free-to-play option is added to the game.
.