Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Recommended healer class for me?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Recommended healer class for me?

unixbomber
08.11.2012 , 03:11 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by iNeXxS View Post
I don't know what people are saying about Scoundrels being hard to kill. Sure, they can move around, but as a Vanguard I just slow them. They also don't put out large heals, just smaller instant heals so as a burst class they are very easy to take down. Also, keeping them stunned for 8 seconds at 30% health (so they cant use free instant heal) will almost always kill them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1jEMmYwOzI

To clarify, scoundrels have plenty of burst healing. At 1.8 seconds - able to be further lowered in induction time - I can crit heals easily between 5-6k with 7.6k being the largest with the warzone red power ups. This can be followed by a 1.4 second heal which crits around 5k, with the highest being 5.6k. My critical chance is 42% ... Stacking instant hots, AoE heal with mobility, proc heals available from the hots, dodge every minute as needed and the capability to absorb damage and increase my own incoming healing by 15% ... stun, aoe mez, healing from cover - no pulls or leaps for you unless you enjoy filling my resolve bar which is one less stun towards a heal when your interrupt is down,... oh yeah we can also disappear every 3 minutes. Sorry your scoundrels suck.

paul_preib
08.11.2012 , 03:39 PM | #12
Well if you want cutting edge ranked optimization then yes, you want an operative. Being able to not break stealth until actively firing off your first heal while being a much more mobile healer is indispensable.

That said if your aim is just to be viable in unranked play then all three healers can do just fine. Each has their own strengths and weaknesses (personal survivability of a merc, aforementioned mobility of an op, raw output and utility on a sorc) so it comes down to personal taste in the end.

For me personally the merc (or rather his mirror, as mine is a commando) was the healer I least enjoyed. I prefer the resource mechanics as well as playstyles of the other two much better. I am however quite fond of my sorc. to the point where it is the only class where I leveled a mirror to 50. Doing so with a sage that hit 50 just last friday I know I was still able to survive and perform reasonably in that cannon-fodder first week of 50 stage (granted I had saved the comms for a WH weapon at the outset and used legacy armor to slide WH glove and BM helmet mods over from my main) .

I think it is also a very versatile healer specwise as you can build for raw healing power (i.e. having the 31 point healing ability), hybrid punch (18 points in madness to occasionally mix lightning spam/death field and having insta-whirlwind in along with primarily healing), jackrabbit spec (21/20 corruption/lightning for the escapability items out of lightning like the mez on break bubble and root on overload).

The sheer variety of specs that I have toyed with that are viable in some fashion means that I can get a lot of mileage out of the class compared to some of the others I have.
Cyperian -- Sorceror Cyterian-- Sentinel Cyrellian-- Trooper Cyprian-- Sage
Cylerian-- Scoundrel Kyrellian-- Sniper
Of the Bloodborne and Deargna-Fhuil Legacies

Amien
08.11.2012 , 05:19 PM | #13
Operative excels at staying alive in that they can Vanish, ammunity to white damage for 3 secs and a self bubble on a 45s CD. And that they have the easiest time kiting enemies with their medium insta cast heal. I can argue that they are even easier to shut-down at the BEGINNING of combat. If you can interrupt our Kolto Injection (Under wolrd Medicine), the only heal we have left is kolto probe.

Sage is the "squishiest" healing class, but is capable of the best numbers.

Merc/Commandos have the highest single target heals, coupled with their heavy armor are extremely difficult to kill. However while they're healing themselves they aren't healing their team.

YOur not going to find an "OP" healing class. Each has alot of strengths and weaknesses.
Quote: Originally Posted by battlebug View Post
can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will be boxed after sword is out.
New Thread:http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=297

JayEmmKay
08.11.2012 , 05:45 PM | #14
Ok thanks for all the input! Im rolling a scoundrel healer for the rep side, and either merc or sorc on imp, I really want blizz!
Ragnarokr
Zariuss
Mihwk
Pnzr

Jenzali
08.14.2012 , 05:42 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by unixbomber View Post
Escape tools, healing? You're joking, right?

Sorry is there a class that doesn't have a slow I'm forgetting? I mean, really? Commando maybe? Too overpowered? You'd be better off saying that force sprint is an escape tool but even then you're typically pulled back into the powertech brigade.
You can't say that an escape tool doesn't count because you're using it at the wrong time. You have a knockback with a speccable root (the root portion still works even if your opponent still has full resolve), a ranged interrupt, and a slow in addition to a speed boost on your bubble. For comparison, a Commando has no speed boost, no interrupt, no slow, and only one knockback on a 30 second cooldown. Scoundrels have a short-ranged interrupt and stun and less powerful movespeed boosts. So we all have pros and cons. But every healer can be incredibly difficult to kill if played well.

I'm not denying that Sages are squishy, but saying they don't have escape tools and utility is just plain false. They have the highest skill ceiling out of the 3 healers and it's easy to see why the absolute best PvP healers on many servers are Sages/Sorcs. The best ones control the battefield. Plus being able to pull a friendly target is an incredibly unique valuable tool, not just in Huttball.
Dashto Vant - Arsenal Mercenary - The most dashing bounty hunter in the galaxy.

NoTomorrow
08.14.2012 , 07:23 PM | #16
Just roll an op healer. Its a complete faceroll joke. No extra skill required, easy mode survivability, spamable inatant heals, invisibility. The class is plain ridiculous ans caters to the least skilled healers in swtor.

In Pugs you will never ever die.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Scatter Bombs are meant to be a fun bit of extra damage that occurs when you roll into or away from the action. That said, were okay with you trapping an unsuspecting enemy for a wall bang every now and then.

Blasphemerr
08.14.2012 , 11:17 PM | #17
with guard every healer is viable. play what you want.
Something pretentious.

DarkSaberMaster
08.14.2012 , 11:35 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by NoTomorrow View Post
Just roll an op healer. Its a complete faceroll joke. No extra skill required, easy mode survivability, spamable inatant heals, invisibility. The class is plain ridiculous ans caters to the least skilled healers in swtor.

In Pugs you will never ever die.
Ummm no. Please try again.
Referral link to claim your new or returning player rewards.
Ezs'ra: Sith Mara
Harbinger

unixbomber
08.15.2012 , 12:39 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Jenzali View Post
You can't say that an escape tool doesn't count because you're using it at the wrong time. You have a knockback with a speccable root (the root portion still works even if your opponent still has full resolve), a ranged interrupt, and a slow in addition to a speed boost on your bubble. For comparison, a Commando has no speed boost, no interrupt, no slow, and only one knockback on a 30 second cooldown. Scoundrels have a short-ranged interrupt and stun and less powerful movespeed boosts. So we all have pros and cons. But every healer can be incredibly difficult to kill if played well.

I'm not denying that Sages are squishy, but saying they don't have escape tools and utility is just plain false. They have the highest skill ceiling out of the 3 healers and it's easy to see why the absolute best PvP healers on many servers are Sages/Sorcs. The best ones control the battefield. Plus being able to pull a friendly target is an incredibly unique valuable tool, not just in Huttball.
I can say that an escape tool doesn't count when it's laughably easy to counter by the best dps classes in the game and or not effective. I'm aware that traiting into the lightning line allows you to obtain a root on the knockback that does not respect resolve but at the expense of not being able to fully trait into the healing line for the aoe heal; which is what I'm saying is broken and a joke. Even traiting completely into the heal line on a scoundrel or operative still allows you enough points to pick up 15% run speed from the dps line and additionally buffs your stealth level, if you wanted to.

You keep mentioning a slow and an interrupt as an escape tool. What exactly are you interrupting? The most dangerous skills to watch out for as a healer can't be interrupted so why are you wasting global cooldowns interrupting anything? Any dps worth his salt is going to slow you from the start, so what are you hoping to achieve with keeping him slowed? The run speed increase you can grab from traiting into the bubble improvement lasts 3 seconds and is at best 20% movement increase... If you're already slowed, let me know how that works out for you.

Again with the sprint, roots and pulls work extremely well for negating this. If it broke roots similar to how assassins can spec, it might be worthwhile. Yea they can still be effective against scrubs or herp derps who have no idea how to play their class but that isn't really the point. Killing a healing sorcerer or sage on my sentinel, especially when combat spec is an absolute joke. Leap, slow. - or just avoid leap at the beginning if their somewhat competent - expect Knockback. Ranged root + healing debuff. expect Bubble. One global cooldown, it's gone. Sprint? Root. Coming soon? Dead. It's not rocket science. I miss the days of the class being "overpowered" as I at least had to stay on my toes and worry about interrupting them to kill them. When I do actually play my sentinel now, I'll occassionally let them get off a pity heal or two, it's kind of like watching a fat kid trying to run a marathon.

Boyana
08.15.2012 , 02:36 PM | #20
I have a sorcerer healer with full WH augmented geaer. I also have a merc healer, but she is just an alt.
I do not have operative healer, but played one.
This is my list:
1. OP
2. Merc
3. Sorc

Operative: think I do not have to say why but beside good mobility and healing, they have cool looking spells and gear. Agent story is really interesting.

When it comes to Mercs, I DO like their animations. The sound of their abilities is amazingly cute. It also looks so much better than Sorcerer's. Not to lie, VERY first time I saw Sorc's animations I was disappointing but, since it was a first character, I decided not to quit because of boring, same-looking, purple animations hoping the next one won't be like the last one. EVERY damn spell is: her hand out, purple crap on her hand. Only I like is aoe heal, which I am not using. I AM failing to see how could Merc healer be worse than Sorc healer at all. Even if there is something: at the end of the day Merc's have heavy armor.
I would really go for Merc over a Sorc, but only when it comes to PvP. Dead healers can't heal. Dead healers cannot protect nodes. Warzones number don't mean much, it is the green win or red lose at the end.

Now, this is not a QQ, just MY OWN opinion and what I experienced and have seen. I did see people struggling to kill a Merc even in rated, but never a Sorc.