Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Recommended healer class for me?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Recommended healer class for me?

JayEmmKay
08.10.2012 , 08:32 PM | #1
Hello there! After having 1 tank, 1 DPS and 1 daily slave, i really want to level a healer. Problem is i always have a hard time deciding stuff. The 4 classes im looking at currently are Operative, Scoundrel, Sage or Mercenary.

I hear the operative is the best one atm, but i do want to make a merc healer, since BH is the only buff i dont have yet, and most important, you get blizz! My problem with mercenary is that alot of people say it is boring to play a merc healer. I have tried a merc to lvl 20, and i have to say the heal animations are pretty dull and boring. Does it get better at higher levels? I have that same problem with scoundrel, since the animation pretty much suck, but does that make it less fun for you to play?

I dont want an operative since i already have a sniper, but their animations are pretty cool. I really like the pull that sage got, also the huge area aoe that are pretty sweet for interupting plants, etc, but they are rather squishy. So i guess my main question here is, what healer class do you think is the best and/or fun? And does boring healing spells make it less fun for you?
Ragnarokr
Zariuss
Mihwk
Pnzr

unixbomber
08.10.2012 , 08:50 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by JayEmmKay View Post
Hello there! After having 1 tank, 1 DPS and 1 daily slave, i really want to level a healer. Problem is i always have a hard time deciding stuff. The 4 classes im looking at currently are Operative, Scoundrel, Sage or Mercenary.

I hear the operative is the best one atm, but i do want to make a merc healer, since BH is the only buff i dont have yet, and most important, you get blizz! My problem with mercenary is that alot of people say it is boring to play a merc healer. I have tried a merc to lvl 20, and i have to say the heal animations are pretty dull and boring. Does it get better at higher levels? I have that same problem with scoundrel, since the animation pretty much suck, but does that make it less fun for you to play?

I dont want an operative since i already have a sniper, but their animations are pretty cool. I really like the pull that sage got, also the huge area aoe that are pretty sweet for interupting plants, etc, but they are rather squishy. So i guess my main question here is, what healer class do you think is the best and/or fun? And does boring healing spells make it less fun for you?
Operative or scoundrel is the most fun, bounty hunter is derpy and incredibly boring; I deleted mine. Sage and sorc healing was borked when they last messed with the class.

foxmob
08.10.2012 , 11:10 PM | #3
  • commando/merc is the most challenging (in terms of churning out raw heal numbers). of the three classes, I would rank them last (last in mobility, last in throughput, second in survivability to the op)
  • sage/sorc is probably the most versatile but by far the most squishy (they rely more heavily on help from their team to stay alive)
  • scoundrel/operative is boss in pvp. lots of hots (very mobile). stealth is a bonus. imo, the hardest class to dps down. lacks some of the aoe ability of the sage/sorc but pretty well balanced.
Krackerjack/Deinon/Antiphon
JC -- Harb -- TEH

Brool
08.11.2012 , 12:18 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by foxmob View Post
  • commando/merc is the most challenging (in terms of churning out raw heal numbers). of the three classes, I would rank them last (last in mobility, last in throughput, second in survivability to the op)
  • sage/sorc is probably the most versatile but by far the most squishy (they rely more heavily on help from their team to stay alive)
  • scoundrel/operative is boss in pvp. lots of hots (very mobile). stealth is a bonus. imo, the hardest class to dps down. lacks some of the aoe ability of the sage/sorc but pretty well balanced.
This

I personally have a sage healer.
Phalanx
The Harbinger
We are playing a game of rock paper scissors.
Quit asking to nerf rock when you are obviously playing scissors.

JayEmmKay
08.11.2012 , 11:21 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by foxmob View Post
Thanks alot! I do like how many healing skills the sage got, which makes then hard to shut down.

I guess my first question is answered now, so does boring heal animations make it less fun for you? and are merc really boring to heal as?
Ragnarokr
Zariuss
Mihwk
Pnzr

unixbomber
08.11.2012 , 11:29 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by JayEmmKay View Post
Thanks alot! I do like how many healing skills the sage got, which makes then hard to shut down.

I guess my first question is answered now, so does boring heal animations make it less fun for you? and are merc really boring to heal as?
Sages are actually the easiest healing class to shut down as they have no interrupt immunity and anything that heals of real value requires an induction of some sort.

foxmob
08.11.2012 , 11:35 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by unixbomber View Post
Sages are actually the easiest healing class to shut down as they have no interrupt immunity and anything that heals of real value requires an induction of some sort.
there's a lot of truth to this. if only one person is on him, he can root, slow, run away. but they are generally very dependent on their teammates to keep dps off of them (easy to interrupt, squishy). nevertheless, they're more mobile than mercs with better heals on those casts. if you don't have any friends to play with/guard you, the op/scoun is going to be a much less frustrating experience. i don't think you can really go wrong with the heal classes. commando/merc is the worst, and even that works in competitive rated environs.
Krackerjack/Deinon/Antiphon
JC -- Harb -- TEH

Jenzali
08.11.2012 , 12:43 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by unixbomber View Post
Sages can be shut down but they also have more escape tools (knockback with root, a slow, and most importantly a ranged interrupt) and alternative abilities to heal themselves if one is interrupted. I'd say overall Commandos are easier to shut down except for the 15 seconds when their shield is up.
Dashto Vant - Arsenal Mercenary - The most dashing bounty hunter in the galaxy.

unixbomber
08.11.2012 , 02:12 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Jenzali View Post
Sages can be shut down but they also have more escape tools (knockback with root, a slow, and most importantly a ranged interrupt) and alternative abilities to heal themselves if one is interrupted. I'd say overall Commandos are easier to shut down except for the 15 seconds when their shield is up.
Escape tools, healing? You're joking, right? You realize obtaining the root on the knockback requires giving up the 31 (aoe koolaid) healing spec right? Hence why the class is borked since they last thought they could make changes. The class was originally designed around proccing a buff which allowed for a faster induction of your big heal which in pvp is literally the only way you'd hope to get it off; this failed due to it allowing for the faster induction to be used twice, causing healing output to be more than it should.

I think they made the changes they did because they couldn't find a way to fix the double tap for occuring. General incompetence seems to be the FOTM at Bioware when it comes to class changes. I won't even go into how the healing line was further borked by changing around how regenerating force works now. A slow is an escape tool? Sorry is there a class that doesn't have a slow I'm forgetting? I mean, really? Commando maybe? Too overpowered? You'd be better off saying that force sprint is an escape tool but even then you're typically pulled back into the powertech brigade.

If you roll sage and run full healing spec for pvp, pray to god you have someone protecting you to even hope to be viable and even then you're not going to be healing outside of throwing down an aoe pool, bubbles and running around like a chicken without its head while you're interrupted on every induction and stunned when interrupts are on cooldown.

iNeXxS
08.11.2012 , 02:27 PM | #10
As a DPS, Mercs are definately the hardest healer to kill BY FAR. I don't know what people are saying about Scoundrels being hard to kill. Sure, they can move around, but as a Vanguard I just slow them. They also don't put out large heals, just smaller instant heals so as a burst class they are very easy to take down. Also, keeping them stunned for 8 seconds at 30% health (so they cant use free instant heal) will almost always kill them.

A Hybrid Sage/Sorc is not "hard" to kill, but they are the most annoying. Getting first blinded by the bubble, then being rooted after being knocked back sucks from a DPS perspective. A 31pt Sage/Sorc is probably the most dangerous healer as a DPS. Dangerous as in, when left unchecked, they can do massive amounts of healing, so you always need to have a Sentinel or Mara on a 31pt Sage.

Mercs and Commandos are the most "tanky" healer. They also have the highest single-target healing in the game and great burst healing. And when the good Mercs get full resolve and pop their shield, they are pretty much unkillable for the duration.
KAIO-KEN ... TIMES 20!!!
Kaio-ken Kamehameha of Jung-Ma | <Credit Shot>