Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Afterimages

bright_ephemera
01.01.2013 , 12:16 PM | #331
Quote: Originally Posted by Vesaniae View Post
“I will love you until my dying breath. And that’s why I have to leave.”
Ves, I do love what you do. This, on its own, as a conversational turnaround, even before I remember to put it into the story's broader context.

A'tro does come out stronger in the published version, and that one stays on the terms Quinn tries to frame...for now.
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 1900+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

Vesaniae
01.21.2013 , 01:01 PM | #332

I'm not giving a definitive date. But know that it shall indeed happen.
Force Lightning: The solution to every problem. Every. Problem.
Afterimages * Walking Penumbral * Like Moths to the Flame
Forever Shenanigans!

ddarkangel
03.14.2013 , 09:11 PM | #333
I thought there was no one that killed more characters than George RR Martin, but after reading some FF's here I see that I'm very much mistaken.

MilaniGrey
03.14.2013 , 09:21 PM | #334
Quote: Originally Posted by ddarkangel View Post
I thought there was no one that killed more characters than George RR Martin, but after reading some FF's here I see that I'm very much mistaken.
It's fanfiction. People die. Don't like it - quit reading.
The Islingr LegacyShatter the Darkness
Astaron, Narithia, Xalkory, Áilleacht
The Ebon Hawk Server
Forever Shenanigans!

Vesaniae
03.14.2013 , 09:35 PM | #335
Quote: Originally Posted by ddarkangel View Post
Ahaha! I feel so...special, now. I was wondering if anyone would take umbrage over the potentially gratuitous level of character demise. But hey, it makes it far easier to keep track of them! Not that I would ever kill characters for the sake of killing characters, that's just wasteful. Rest assured that there was a rationale behind each and every one.

Think of it as a reality show. In the early episodes, the weaker contestants get eliminated one by one, until only the strongest, most interesting candidates remain by the end of the season. Any TOR fanfic involving multiple classes, like mine, is going to have a plethora of characters, not all of whom are interesting or necessary to the plot. Arranging their termination is an elegant way of removing them from the story and not having to keep track of them. Besides, I take it as a challenge to see how much of an emotional impact I can have on my readers. If I'm successful, then my writing is good. If not, then it needs improvement.

Ultimately, character death is all about intention. If a character's death has specific reasoning behind it and has a definite impact on the rest of the story, then it is, in my humble opinion, a worthy plot device for writers to make use of. I can't speak for Martin, having not read A Song of Ice and Fire, but I have seen it done quite well in other works. I endeavor to maintain a level of quality in my fic that will keep the reader as entertained as they would be by a published novel.

In short, thanks for reading, and I hoped you enjoyed, despite the carnage.
Force Lightning: The solution to every problem. Every. Problem.
Afterimages * Walking Penumbral * Like Moths to the Flame
Forever Shenanigans!

ddarkangel
03.14.2013 , 11:14 PM | #336
Quote: Originally Posted by MilaniGrey View Post
It's fanfiction. People die. Don't like it - quit reading.
I'm still searching where I said that I don't like it.... I love GRRM work exactly by this type of surprises, he loves their characters, at same time don't hesitate to kill them when its necessary. So when I read that I think "Great I have more of that in SWTOR Universe!!!
Spoiler

bright_ephemera
12.30.2013 , 06:08 PM | #337
Did I mention lately how very much I like this entire thing? Was just rereading it and thought I'd say that.
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 1900+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

ShadowMudkip
01.06.2014 , 06:34 PM | #338
Really good read, but theres something I don't understand
Spoiler
JediCovanent
The Veir Legacy
Mairick-Assassin
Kaidin-Mercenary

Soteirian
01.06.2014 , 08:35 PM | #339
Quote: Originally Posted by ShadowMudkip View Post
Really good read, but theres something I don't understand