Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Afterimages

irishfino
09.21.2012 , 06:39 PM | #231
;___;
I'll probably die if you group with me, but I'll go out with both lightsabers drawn stabbing someone in the face. Probably you, but it's cool. Forever Shenanigans!!

MilaniGrey
09.21.2012 , 08:03 PM | #232
*goes to curl into a ball and cry with A'tro*
The Islingr Legacy
Ebon Hawk Server
"How dreadfully spooky." -- Vesaniae's Darth Nox

Vesaniae
09.21.2012 , 08:41 PM | #233
Fifty-One – Maelstrom
Kaas City, Dromund Kaas
17 ATC

A’tro awoke slowly. For a moment, she couldn’t remember where she was. Then reality returned. She tensed, bracing herself for the pain, but there was nothing. Only a terrible, empty numbness.

She gingerly uncurled herself from her fetal position, her stiff muscles protesting the movement. The rain had stopped sometime while she was asleep, but she was still freezing cold and soaking wet.

She reached up and grasped the railing, then pulled herself to her feet. With a soft sigh, she turned to re-enter her chambers.

A Sith Pureblood woman was standing in the doorway, dressed in dark robes. She bowed formally. “Wrath. I am Servant Five of the Emperor’s Hand.”

A’tro frowned. “What does the Emperor’s Hand want with me?”

“The Emperor wishes to speak with you, Wrath,” said Servant Five. “If you will accompany me, I will take you to him.”

A’tro followed her in a stupor. Her mind felt dazed, slow to react. She hardly noticed where they were going as they took side corridors and secret doors through hallways she had never known about into the depths of the Citadel.

Somewhere along the way she had enough presence of mind to ask, “Why now? The Emperor has never requested my presence before.”

“You are ready,” Servant Five said simply.

Ready… A’tro thought. I don’t feel particularly ready for anything.

At last, they entered a chamber that must have been hundreds of meters into the bedrock. The lights were few and dim, and what little illumination they provided seemed to be drawn steadily towards a point of pure darkness in the center of the room, like a black hole.

“Wrath,” the Emperor said, and she heard his voice as much in her mind as with her ears. “Come to me.”

A’tro approached the shadow and knelt. Servant Five seemed to have disappeared.

“You have served me well, my Wrath,” the Emperor said.

“You honor me,” A’tro responded automatically.

“I sense that your mind is ready. You will be made to see.”

The Emperor reached forward, a tendril of darkness stretching forth from the center of the shadow to touch her face.

And A’tro saw.

The blackness of space surrounded her. In the distance floated dull and lifeless rocks. She drifted through a celestial graveyard, surrounded by the corpses of planets.

The stars were few and faint. Their light was pulled from their depths, stretching across the sky towards a darkness vast beyond comprehension at the center of the galaxy.

Then the remaining light was gone. The Force was gone. Life, existence—all of it, gone.

There was only the void. The merciful silence of eternity.

The vision faded, and she slowly became aware that she was kneeling on a hard stone floor. The extinguished stars and dead worlds vanished.

The black hole remained.

“Now you understand,” the Emperor murmured. “I will need your help, my Wrath. You will make this vision a reality.”

A’tro looked around. After the peaceful oblivion she had experienced in the vision, she was reluctant to face the cold, corporeal reality of her surroundings. Perhaps in that infinite darkness she could find rest. Perhaps the emptiness of the lifeless galaxy would soothe the emptiness in her heart.

She bowed her head. “I am yours to command, my master.”

Please note that as I have not played a JK, my interpretation of the Emperor comes entirely from what I've read on the wiki and other people's fics. This is already a weird universe where the JK doesn't exist so if I bend lore a little bit...sorry?
There's always lightning.

irishfino
09.21.2012 , 09:04 PM | #234
Darkness and peace in the void is a wonderful thing...
You're awfully maudlin...
I have reason to be, I assure you.
I'll probably die if you group with me, but I'll go out with both lightsabers drawn stabbing someone in the face. Probably you, but it's cool. Forever Shenanigans!!

kabeone
09.21.2012 , 09:04 PM | #235
You're on a roll today I like where this is going

MilaniGrey
09.21.2012 , 10:48 PM | #236
Seems an awful lot like what Sco-.. must.. not.. spoiler.. -zips her lips-
The Islingr Legacy
Ebon Hawk Server
"How dreadfully spooky." -- Vesaniae's Darth Nox

Adwynyth
09.22.2012 , 01:20 AM | #237
Holy.

Freaking.

Crap.

...that is all.

Vesaniae
09.22.2012 , 07:19 AM | #238
Thank you, thank you. Yes, the story has taken quite an unexpected direction, hasn't it?

The next few entries will be a series of interludes that will illustrate a time skip between the most recent chapter and when the plot resumes. Here's the first one, grab your tissues.

Interlude – A Farewell
Aboard the Fury-class starship Alecto
17 ATC

The first time that A’tro returned to the Alecto after her return from Alderaan, she found the holoterminal registering a new message.

She looked at the information and felt the blood drain from her face. The message had been received two days prior. The sender was Malavai Quinn.

“But that’s impossible,” A’tro whispered. “Or did he…”

She played the recording.

An image of Quinn, dressed in his customary immaculate uniform, appeared.

“My dearest A’tro,” he said quietly. “If you are receiving this message, then I am…no longer with you. I’ve prepared this recording to be sent to you in the event of my untimely passing. I hope that you never have to see it.”

A’tro slowly sank to her knees in front of the terminal. She stared up at him, drinking in the sound of his voice.

“There is certain information that you ought to be apprised of, given the circumstances,” Quinn said briskly, clasping his hands behind his back. “Apparently, since you are a Sith, you are ineligible to collect the regular stipend that you would otherwise be due as my widow. Sorry.” He smiled faintly as he spoke.

He knew I wouldn’t care about that, A’tro thought fondly. But because he’s Malavai, he had to say it anyway.

“However,” Quinn continued, “since you married into the Zariel family, you are entitled to inherit all of our property upon the death of my mother. There isn’t much, but there are a few Sith relics that you might find interesting.”

A’tro filed the information away for later use. It didn’t matter how trivial or unimportant it was; for the time being, it was almost as if he was there with her, and that was what mattered.

Quinn paused for a long moment. “This is not easy for me,” he admitted. “I don’t want to imagine a possible future where the two of us are separated by death. I have to be realistic, however, and statistically, the likelihood of such an event is fairly high. I can only hope that it will never come to pass, that you will never have to see this message, but…” He trailed off, looking forlorn.

A’tro leaned a little closer towards the image, wishing that she could comfort him.

Quinn looked directly at her, as though he had somehow predicted the angle from which she would be viewing the message. “I do not want to leave you,” he said softly. “But I know that you can survive without me. You’re strong. You’re Sith. You’ll be all right, my dearest.”

A’tro shook her head. No. I need you. Why did you have to leave me?

“I love you,” Quinn said. “I’ve loved you since practically the day I met you.” He paused, emotion flickering across his face. “If you’re receiving this, then know that I…that I died loving you.” His voice wavered. “And I am grateful beyond words for the time we were able to share.”

It was difficult to tell from the hologram, but he seemed to be blinking back tears.

After a long moment of seeming to struggle with his emotions, Quinn looked towards her and said simply, “Goodbye.”

The message ended. A'tro reached forward and froze the image before it could disappear. She felt on the edge of tears, but at the same time felt that she would never cry again. There was nothing but emptiness left inside of her.

"I miss you," she told the image. Quinn stared silently back at her.

She played the message again. And again, and again.

And again.
There's always lightning.

bright_ephemera
09.22.2012 , 07:36 AM | #239
Buh. This is...this is entirely right. In every way.
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 90+ authors to date. 2500+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

SveinEternity
09.22.2012 , 07:42 AM | #240
I wasted 5 dollars worth of boxes.... That was touching
The Eternity Legacy