Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Afterimages

irishfino
09.20.2012 , 07:43 PM | #211
DIE THAERA DIE
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Calm yourself!
Not until that blue bi-
And that's enough of that! Write this story faster so I can get me some more Ravage/Nox.
>:[
I'll probably die if you group with me, but I'll go out with both lightsabers drawn stabbing someone in the face. Probably you, but it's cool. Forever Shenanigans!!

Vesaniae
09.20.2012 , 08:18 PM | #212
You wanted faster? Here's another chapter!

Forty-Eight – Mirror
Alderaan
17 ATC

“So, you showed,” K’saria said. “I wasn’t sure if you would.”

A’tro looked around the clearing suspiciously. The Alecto had landed several miles away in another, large clearing. The whole area was heavily forested, and the nearest settlement was far away. It was beautiful, like all of Alderaan. The leaves were just starting to change color.

“What do you want, K’saria?” A’tro asked coolly, folding her arms across her chest.

K’saria sighed. “So suspicious.”

“Can you blame me?”

“No, of course not,” K’saria said. “I know that you have no reason to trust me. I ask only that you hear me out.”

“I will listen, for now,” A’tro said. “Try anything, and you’ll regret it.”

“Believe me, I don’t intend to attack you. I only wanted to talk with you.”

A’tro raised a brow-ridge. “I’m here. Talk.”

K’saria sighed. “This…this is not easy for me.”

What’s she playing at, I wonder? A’tro thought.

K’saria clasped her hands in front of her, twisting her fingers together in apparent nervousness. “I have been having…second thoughts.”

What?

“I believed that I was doing the right thing when I left the Empire,” K’saria continued. “I—I’m no longer certain if that’s the case.”

“You’ll understand if I find that suspicious,” A’tro said dryly.

K’saria nodded. “Of course. I can only hope that you’ll believe me.”

Where’s Jaesa when I need her? “Tell me more, please.”

K’saria sighed. “I’ve been thinking a great deal… Do you remember Captain Thanen Malor?”

A’tro’s lip curled. “Your boytoy? How could I forget?”

K’saria frowned. “He meant more to me than that, A’tro. I think…” She paused for a long moment. “I think I loved him. And when he died, I just…I just couldn’t believe in the Empire anymore.”

A’tro’s eyes widened. “So that’s why you left?”

K’saria nodded. “I lost all faith in the system. I wanted out.”

“Why the Jedi?” A’tro asked. “Why not simply leave Imperial space?”

“I wanted to be somewhere where I could make a difference,” K’saria said quietly. “I didn’t feel like I was doing that in the Empire.”

“For what it’s worth, I can hardly blame you for that.”

K’saria nodded. “No Sith would take me as an apprentice. I was worthless. I was going nowhere. The Jedi…the Jedi took me in, valued me.”

“So it was a question of belonging.”

K’saria nodded. “It really was.”

A’tro shook her head. “K’saria, I—I’m not sure what to make of this.”

“I know you don’t have to believe me,” K’saria whispered, “but it’s the truth. I swear it’s the truth.”

A’tro swallowed hard. “I understand. I really do.”

K’saria looked at her skeptically. “Really?”

A’tro mutely removed her left glove and displayed her wedding ring.

K’saria’s eyes widened. “You—you, of all people—are married?

A’tro nodded.

K’saria swore softly. “I would never have guessed…” A small smile crossed her face. “Who’s the lucky one?”

“One of my crew,” A’tro said quietly. “A military officer.”

“You—you—“ K’saria spluttered. “You hypocrite!”

A’tro covered her face with her palm. “I know.”

K’saria massaged her temples. “You really have changed.”

A’tro looked at her intently. “So have you, I think.”

K’saria nodded. “I…thank you. For hearing me out.”

“So, let me get this straight,” A’tro said. “Are you considering possibly rejoining the Empire?”

“I might be,” K’saria whispered. “I don’t know if I can…”

“I can help you,” A’tro said. “I’m the Emperor’s Wrath. I have influence.”

“They won’t trust me,” K’saria said sourly. “You don’t trust me, I can sense it.”

“No, I don’t,” A’tro admitted. “But I’m willing to entertain the possibility that you might be sincere.”

“That’s all I ask,” K’saria urged. “Thank you.”

A’tro nodded. “I won’t fight you…this time.”

K’saria wrung her hands again. “Can…can I meet with you again later? In a few days, perhaps?”

A’tro nodded. “Very well. Would you object if I brought my apprentice to verify your story?”

“Please, do. I want you to know that I mean this.”

“Very well,” A’tro said slowly. “I’ll see you then.”
Serence Legacy Ebon Hawk
There's always lightning.

irishfino
09.20.2012 , 08:23 PM | #213
YOU CAN'T JUST TURN AROUND AND COME BACK TRAITOR!
...Angry much?
So... angry...
I'll probably die if you group with me, but I'll go out with both lightsabers drawn stabbing someone in the face. Probably you, but it's cool. Forever Shenanigans!!

Soteirian
09.20.2012 , 09:17 PM | #214
Quote: Originally Posted by Vesaniae View Post
I do feel a bit unsure about giving the readers Ravage/Nox with no explanation of how the hell they got to this point in their...I wouldn't really call it a relationship. But that's really a story for another thread, and a lot can happen in two years. And a lot did. [/COLOR]
Never under-estimate the power of a good sofa.

I don't have problem with how you progressing the Ravage/Nox story. The sexual tension between those two were so evident from early on in the story it's bound to happen. Of course, having another thread to get the juicy details makes it only better.

Not a relationship, eh? Enemies with benefits?

Vesaniae
09.20.2012 , 09:41 PM | #215
Quote: Originally Posted by irishfino View Post
YOU CAN'T JUST TURN AROUND AND COME BACK TRAITOR!
...Angry much?
So... angry...
You mad bro?

Quote: Originally Posted by Soteirian View Post
Never under-estimate the power of a good sofa.

I don't have problem with how you progressing the Ravage/Nox story. The sexual tension between those two were so evident from early on in the story it's bound to happen.
Would you believe me if I said that the sexual tension was completely unintentional until you all starting mentioning it?
Of course, having another thread to get the juicy details makes it only better.

Indeed it does! However, please note that Reign of Night is very likely going to be put on hold on Afterimages is finished. We're getting closer to the end here.

Not a relationship, eh? Enemies with benefits?
That works.
Serence Legacy Ebon Hawk

MilaniGrey
09.21.2012 , 03:49 AM | #216
Finally. Caught. Up. I stayed up ALL night to read this, Vesa.

1) (because it's the most prevalent in my mind atm) YOU KILLED VETTE. OH MY GOD. I has an epic sad.
2) If K'saria re-defects (that's a legit term, right? right?) who is Asta going to have to be non-insane Jedi with?!
3) Broonie is also dead. I got all teary. I love that furball.
4) Pierce.
5) I also had many HNNG attacks while reading this in the dark while everyone is sleeping. Do you know how hard it is to keep a HNNG attack quiet?

And.. I can't think of anything else right now..
Going to sleep now..
The Islingr Legacy
Ebon Hawk Server
"How dreadfully spooky." -- Vesaniae's Darth Nox

Vesaniae
09.21.2012 , 10:10 AM | #217
Milani, glad you've caught up! Sorry if you lost sleep on my account...

Forty-Nine – Sunset
Alderaan
17 ATC

A’tro walked back to the Alecto, deep in thought. She couldn’t help but wonder if she was doing the right thing by giving K’saria a second chance. Should she simply have killed her? Well, she’d made her decision, and it was too late to back out now. She only hoped that she would not come to regret it.

The sun was sinking low on the horizon by the time she reached the ship. To her surprise, the boarding ramp was already lowered. Quinn and Jaesa stood at the bottom, apparently waiting for her.

“What’s going on?” A’tro asked as she drew near.

“We’ve been picking up suspicious com activity,” Quinn said. “It seems that there are a number of Republic troops in this area.”

“That’s strange,” A’tro said, frowning. “K’saria didn’t—“

Her danger sense flickered, and she dodged to one side as a blaster bolt tore through the space where she had been standing and bounced off the Alecto’s armored hull. Republic soldiers swarmed up out of the undergrowth, their weapons trained on the three Imperials.

“Looks like you were right about that com activity,” A’tro said grimly. “There aren’t too many. We can take them.”

Jaesa drew her lightsaber. “Let’s get this done,” she said, and charged.

A figure in Jedi robes appeared out from the woods, engaging her before she could attack the soldiers.

“Not so fast,” said K’saria.

“You set this up!” A’tro accused.

K’saria smiled sadly. “Indeed I did. You may be my sister, but you are still Sith. Your threat must be ended.”

“So much for wanting to come back to the Empire.”

K’saria shook her head. “I can never go back. Not now, after the truth has been revealed to me.”

A’tro activated her lightsabers. “Then you’ll die as you deserve, traitor.”

She leaped towards her sister. Jaesa immediately disengaged and started cutting through the soldiers. At the edge of her awareness, she noticed Quinn taking cover behind the boarding ramp, blaster in hand.

A’tro immediately went on the offensive, pushing K’saria back with a series of quick attacks. She would not let her get away this time. She could feel it in the Force pulsing through her blood: this would be the day she killed her sister. This would be the day that it was finished between them.

K’saria countered each of her strikes, her technique smooth and elegant. No flourishes, no flair; she moved exactly as much as she needed to for every exchange, and no more. She was a minimalist, not a showman.

“I’m sorry it has to end like this,” K’saria said.

A’tro smiled fiercely. “I’m not.”

K’saria lunged forward, forcing A’tro to defend herself. “I don’t suppose there’s any point in asking you to surrender?”

A’tro shook her head.

They fought.

It was disturbing to A’tro how equally matched they were. She had always thought of K’saria as being the lesser twin in terms of raw power, yet here she was, meeting her blow for blow and never faltering. In the Force, she glowed with a steady light.

I won’t let her win, A’tro thought determinedly. I am the Emperor’s Wrath. I can kill her, I know I can.

She increased the intensity of her attacks, driving K’saria back several steps. Then K’saria lifted one hand and pushed outward with the Force. Caught by surprise, A’tro had no chance to block the attack before she was thrown backward towards the ship.

She hit the ground hard at the foot of the boarding ramp, landing painfully on her side and dropping her lightsabers. Before K’saria could take advantage of her vulnerability, Jaesa moved to intercept her, blades flashing.

Quinn moved around the ramp and extended a hand. A’tro took it, pulling herself to her feet.

“Thanks,” she said with a smile. She gave him a quick kiss, then turned back to the battle.

The Republic troops all seemed to have been eliminated. Jaesa was holding her own against K’saria, and seemed to be actually pushing the Jedi back.

A’tro nodded in satisfaction. Stretching out her hands, she gathered the Force to summon her lightsabers.

She did not see one of the fallen Republic soldiers push himself up just enough to train his blaster on her exposed side. Quinn seized her by the shoulders and pushed her forward as the soldier fired several times before sinking back to the ground.

A’tro exhaled sharply. “That was close.”

Quinn did not reply. She whirled around to see him collapsed to his knees, one hand pressed against his torso where a dark stain was rapidly spreading across his jacket.

A’tro swore and dropped down beside him. She gently lowered him to the ground. “Just relax,” she said softly. “I’ll take care of you.”

He smiled faintly. “I’m sorry… A’tro…”

She noticed that he had stashed a medkit under the boarding ramp. Holding one of his hands in hers, she reached forward with the other to grab a bandage.

Quinn’s hand slid limply from her grasp.

A’tro turned back toward him, panic flaring. Had he fallen unconscious?

“Malavai?” she asked sharply, her voice quavering. “Malavai!”

There was no answer.

“No,” A’tro whispered. “Oh no, no, no…”

Quinn lay still upon the ground, staring up at her face with eyes that could no longer see her.

Anguish seared through her, pure and terrible. She screamed, but no sound emerged from her mouth.

He’s gone. He’s gone. Oh, Force, why? WHY? No. No. No no no no no—

A’tro rose slowly to her feet. The dark side surged all around her, and she felt power greater than any she had ever known rise within her. Her eyes burned, and a red haze draped itself over her vision.

She turned towards K’saria. “You,” she rasped in a voice that sounded nothing like her own.

Jaesa immediately broke off their duel and stepped away from the Jedi. K’saria stared at A’tro, an expression of horror slowly creeping across her features.

“You’re responsible for this,” A’tro said softly.

She stretched out a hand. The Force mimicked her gesture, shadows gathering in an invisible vice around her sister.

K’saria gasped in surprise, then cried out in agony. A series of concussions tore the air around her, and she staggered forward, then crumbled to the ground.

As suddenly as it had come, the power drained away. A’tro sank to her knees, her head spinning. The pain welled up inside her like a black void, drowning out all conscious thought. She was beyond tears, beyond any expression at all.

With a shaking hand, she reached out and carefully closed Quinn’s eyes.
Serence Legacy Ebon Hawk

irishfino
09.21.2012 , 10:29 AM | #218
What the fu-
-n.
I have a sad.

MilaniGrey
09.21.2012 , 10:48 AM | #219
GAH. q.q
The Islingr Legacy
Ebon Hawk Server
"How dreadfully spooky." -- Vesaniae's Darth Nox

imnotawitch
09.21.2012 , 10:52 AM | #220
But... but... he was one of the Quinns who didn't try to kill me ever ;__;

Yeah, I couldn't think of anything else to say except "wow," so I'll let Mel'ake say it for me.

The loss of some one not actively trying to kill you is always a tragic thing in the Empire. My condolences with the Wrath.
"Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music."- George Carlin
*Forever Shenanigans*