Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Bug or intended

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

DarthSabreth
08.10.2012 , 03:56 PM | #1
Hi Bioware, i have a quick question for the devs. When i pvp i have about 50% Wh gear and 50% BM gear and for the most part i have no issues pvping. I seem to put out dps and take damage at a consistant rate being the expertise seems to be doing its job as intended.

However, when i encounter a Powertech his / her fire seems to burn me down at a much faster rate than any other class seems capable of doing. Is this intended, and does expertise currently protect against fire damage? I can understand that a tank class should be able to take a pounding and have great survivabillity, but their DPS seems to be a bit high or seems to be in pvp fights.

Any feed back would be appreciated, because this seems to be bugged from my perspective.
"I have brought peace, freedom, justice, and security to my new Empire!" Rip .

Tirvaak
08.11.2012 , 03:44 AM | #2 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hi DarthSabreth,

Thank you for posting, I understand where you are coming form with this but I'm pretty certain what you are referring to is not a bug. Having played a Powertech for a while now I can say that they are a good tank class to use but are also very good DPS if you go through the correct Talent tree. The Pyrotech tree is purely a DPS spec, which revolves around fire based attacks and critical hits combined with Combustible gas cylinder. It does produce a high amount of damage, just like the other damage classes, but you have to take into account gear, augments and talent build, which can greatly effect how much damage a character can do.

In relation to expertise, if you check the tool tip for this in your character sheet you will see that it applies a damage reduction from other players. This means every attack, so elemental attacks from other players would be counted and receive a reduction dependent on the amount of expertise you have.

If you have any suggestions or feedback regarding specific classes, would recommend posting in the suggestion box to ensure that it reaches the correct department.

Thanks.

Tirvaak | Bioware Customer Service - Forum Support

DarthSabreth
08.11.2012 , 08:53 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Tirvaak View Post
Hi DarthSabreth,

Thank you for posting, I understand where you are coming form with this but I'm pretty certain what you are referring to is not a bug. Having played a Powertech for a while now I can say that they are a good tank class to use but are also very good DPS if you go through the correct Talent tree. The Pyrotech tree is purely a DPS spec, which revolves around fire based attacks and critical hits combined with Combustible gas cylinder. It does produce a high amount of damage, just like the other damage classes, but you have to take into account gear, augments and talent build, which can greatly effect how much damage a character can do.

In relation to expertise, if you check the tool tip for this in your character sheet you will see that it applies a damage reduction from other players. This means every attack, so elemental attacks from other players would be counted and receive a reduction dependent on the amount of expertise you have.

If you have any suggestions or feedback regarding specific classes, would recommend posting in the suggestion box to ensure that it reaches the correct department.

Thanks.
I really appreciate your feed back, i just wanted to post this to make sure that expertise covers the fire DPS that powertechs produce. I like others have seen the very high damage that powertechs produce as opposed to other DPS spec classes that i have seen. With that being said we lose health at a much faster rate than other classes besides powertechs can produce. the tool tip stipulates energy and kinetic but does not stipulate elemental protection. either the pvp gear is not protecting us from the fire damage = a bug or the powertechs dps is a little out of touch as opposed to other classes dps meaning its a little bit higher than other classes can produce.

again i am not saying they need a nerf but it seems from our perspective that the armor is not protecting us from fire damage. most other classes take my health at a steady rate but powertechs take it at a very rapid pace. currently im at 1268 expertise and the burst they produce by running in circles around me is a bit high as opposed to the concentrated firepower it takes other dps specs to take me down.

Sutii
08.11.2012 , 09:17 PM | #4 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hello DarthSabreth ,

Thank you for your post on this, and raising your potential concerns about the Powertechs. If you do feel that there is potentially an issue with the interaction of Expertise and the Powertechs abilities, you are more than welcome to submit a bug report concerning this matter.

You are currently able to submit bug reports in one of two ways, information on how to do this can be found in the spoiler below:

Spoiler
Thank you once again for your understanding.
Sutii | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support

DarthSabreth
08.11.2012 , 09:30 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Sutii View Post
Hello DarthSabreth ,

Thank you for your post on this, and raising your potential concerns about the Powertechs. If you do feel that there is potentially an issue with the interaction of Expertise and the Powertechs abilities, you are more than welcome to submit a bug report concerning this matter.

You are currently able to submit bug reports in one of two ways, information on how to do this can be found in the spoiler below:

Spoiler
Thank you once again for your understanding.
Thank you very much for your reply, i will certainly open a ticket regarding this issue. I like others i have spoken too see the high burst rate from powertechs even with high expertise on our pvp gear. there seems to be a bug with the gear not protecting us from elemental dps I.E fire.

Sutii
08.11.2012 , 09:49 PM | #6 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hello DarthSabreth,

Great stuff, please do be advised that each investigation can take some time to complete, but it will be investigated thoroughly to ensure that it is behaving as intended. I would offer my own opinion on it as my colleague Tirvaak did, however I'm only ever on the receiving end of a Powertechs damage as I don't play one myself.

If there are any other issues we can assist you with, please do let us know.

Take care and have fun playing Star Wars™: The Old Republic™!
Sutii | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support