Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What is horizontal leveling?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
What is horizontal leveling?

Majspuffen
08.15.2012 , 09:16 PM | #21
I haven't read all the replies in this thread but if you haven't found an answer yet, check out this video:

http://youtu.be/0Zn81sY7pqI

He explains what Horizontal Scaling is, how MMORPGs have done in the past with vertical scaling and why horizontal scaling could be a better alternative. Well worth watch.
Lambaste!
Best talent in the Galaxy!

criminalheretic
08.15.2012 , 09:17 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by ClavisN View Post
Yes, he does say that, and I wholeheartedly support him in that. Neither computer hardware nor hypernervous 15yearold's reflexes should make you a good gamer. Games that do are broken. Go play pong with that skill set.
Computer - No. Mostly. If you have a total pos, then buy a new computer dude.

Reflexes - Yes.

At some point when 2 people are trying to do the same thing, the one who does it faster should win.
What we don't understand, we can make mean anything.
Hyperspace Cannon -> Drooga's -> The Harbinger

KMagnon
08.17.2012 , 11:03 AM | #23
A really good example of the differences in people.
Those who want to work to accomplish something.
And those who want everything handed to them.

I was new to MMO's when SWTOR started and went through many false starts.
I finally have a "toon" almost 50 and believe I accomplished something.
I only used the hints and tips from fourms and the internet when I was really stuck.

If I was given the 50 and all the gear I spent time to gather. I would have probably
left the game a long time ago.
You can keep your FPS where everyone is the same.
I like the mental challenge and the story lines.

BTW: I'm one of those over 50 casual players. Even when I was 19 I would have probably loved this.

FalcoLombardi
08.17.2012 , 12:04 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by JacksonMo View Post
LMAO how exactly is that an advantage?? If you want a SHOOTER then go buy a SHOOTER.
Horizontal scaling takes away the RPG elements and makes it just another shooter for kids to play on the computer daddy bought for them, and leave in 3 weeks when they get bored.
There is no more story line, because you can jump right into Eternity Vault on day one.

Oh wait!! Remember how people left in hordes because they were bored? It started in mid-January and hasn't let up since.
People play shooters for a few months AT MOST before they get bored and move on to a different game.
Give an RPG'er a game he enjoys and you'll have to run him off with a stick!
The people who left were almost entirely teen agers and college kids who raced through content to be the first to beat every boss at every difficulty level, and then they were gone.

I once played an MMO for over 4 years with the same toon. I once spent 4 month killing red dragons for their hides for crafting. I don't need new content every other week because I'm "bored". But when I see someone with War Hero gear, I'd like to know he put in the time to EARN IT not just that his daddy bought him a shiny new computer and it was handed to him the minute he logged in.
My question is, if a kid has his dad to buy him a brand new computer. Doesn't that dad have a job and mortgate to pay as well? I'd much rather it be based on skill then gear
......|||
======= God Bless
......|||
......|||

JacksonMo
08.17.2012 , 07:13 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Majspuffen View Post
I haven't read all the replies in this thread but if you haven't found an answer yet, check out this video:

http://youtu.be/0Zn81sY7pqI

He explains what Horizontal Scaling is, how MMORPGs have done in the past with vertical scaling and why horizontal scaling could be a better alternative. Well worth watch.
So let me get this straight. Vertical grinding is bad. Grinding the same content endlessly hoping to improve your performance is good?
Grinding is grinding. The only real change is he wants to do away with gear and make it more of a score board competition. Well, you can get gear, but it does nothing but look pretty.
This really sounds like Dailies on a low pop server. You can't do flash points because you can never get a group together, and forget about ops unless you befriend someone who knows a group who used to play wow together.
So you're stuck doing dailies in the same gear for weeks on end, just trying to improve your time.

Has this concept already been tried in other games? Which ones? I'd like to read the reviews.
He does seem to like the way pvp is set up with the 1-49 group being buffed so that everyone is on par with each other stat wise. I would be in favor of doing similar with flash points so that everyone in the group is buffed to be able to run the instance with similar stats. It should be voluntary though. I should be able, if I choose, to run my guild mate through an instance to complete an orange gear set for his alt.

Also, there is no need to read the majority of the posts. They are just people telling me what an idiot I am and that I suck for not jumping on the band wagon. I believe someone accused my mother of being a hamster and my father smelling of elder berries. But I could be mistaken. In any case, they were quite rude.

Thank you for the clip. But you have to admit, his idea still sounds very grindy.

Edit: I guess there is one flaw in my comparison. At least with Dailies there are actual rewards that are useful, not just a flashy title, or pointless achievement gear. woohoo. </sarcasm>