Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What is horizontal leveling?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
What is horizontal leveling?

Slamuel
08.10.2012 , 11:00 AM | #1
I keep hearing of this, and some people say it should replace the PvP gear grind. What is this?
Copy this signature if you believe Timothy Zahn should take over the EU.

Elmillia
08.10.2012 , 11:14 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Slamuel View Post
I keep hearing of this, and some people say it should replace the PvP gear grind. What is this?
It means that instead of leveling like you do now (1-50 level grind) you progress in a different way. (Kinda like legacy).

I think.

Also, to your sig... No. I like Kevin J. Anderson too.

Wefi
08.10.2012 , 11:15 AM | #3
Play battlefield. basically the same thing. Basically everyone is the same other then skill from my understanding.

All points bulletin does this as well.

nvm read what it was.
basically Battlefield. add in 5 types of weapons, armor, and such.
Ex-SWG clientside Modder. Creator of Super Jedi. Fixing what is broken since 2004.

JacksonMo
08.10.2012 , 02:58 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Wefi View Post
Play battlefield. basically the same thing. Basically everyone is the same other then skill from my understanding.

All points bulletin does this as well.

nvm read what it was.
basically Battlefield. add in 5 types of weapons, armor, and such.
Well I'm even more confuse than I was before. I'm gonna try Google.

JacksonMo
08.10.2012 , 03:10 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by JacksonMo View Post
Well I'm even more confuse than I was before. I'm gonna try Google.
Well google led me to an article about it. It stinks! Basically it's the same old hammer-the-rpg-into-a-shooter arguement.
Gear makes no difference because every noob can get the same gear. So it comes down to player ability, and computer ability. Young kids with $5000 computers up against casual player adults with jobs and lives making do with what they can afford after paying the mortgage.
Never mind some of us adults have arthritis.
If SWTOR goes for horizontal scaling it will drive older casual players (you know, the ones with paid subscriptions) from the game.

bbare
08.10.2012 , 03:25 PM | #6
Well google led me to an article about it. It stinks! Basically it's the same old hammer-the-rpg-into-a-shooter arguement.
Gear makes no difference because every noob can get the same gear. So it comes down to player ability, and computer ability. Young kids with $5000 computers up against casual player adults with jobs and lives making do with what they can afford after paying the mortgage.
Never mind some of us adults have arthritis.
If SWTOR goes for horizontal scaling it will drive older casual players (you know, the ones with paid subscriptions) from the game.
So what you are saying is you deserve some kind of advantage because you have a ****** computer and arthritis?

JacksonMo
08.10.2012 , 09:22 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by bbare View Post
So what you are saying is you deserve some kind of advantage because you have a ****** computer and arthritis?
LMAO how exactly is that an advantage?? If you want a SHOOTER then go buy a SHOOTER.
Horizontal scaling takes away the RPG elements and makes it just another shooter for kids to play on the computer daddy bought for them, and leave in 3 weeks when they get bored.
There is no more story line, because you can jump right into Eternity Vault on day one.

Oh wait!! Remember how people left in hordes because they were bored? It started in mid-January and hasn't let up since.
People play shooters for a few months AT MOST before they get bored and move on to a different game.
Give an RPG'er a game he enjoys and you'll have to run him off with a stick!
The people who left were almost entirely teen agers and college kids who raced through content to be the first to beat every boss at every difficulty level, and then they were gone.

I once played an MMO for over 4 years with the same toon. I once spent 4 month killing red dragons for their hides for crafting. I don't need new content every other week because I'm "bored". But when I see someone with War Hero gear, I'd like to know he put in the time to EARN IT not just that his daddy bought him a shiny new computer and it was handed to him the minute he logged in.

bobmcbo
08.11.2012 , 12:58 PM | #8
I once played an MMO for over 4 years with the same toon. I once spent 4 month killing red dragons for their hides for crafting. I don't need new content every other week because I'm "bored". But when I see someone with War Hero gear, I'd like to know he put in the time to EARN IT not just that his daddy bought him a shiny new computer and it was handed to him the minute he logged in.
not to mention how much the combat sucked when you were killing them
OMG! Imperial ships can get a .00008% power increase! Nerf the empire!

JacksonMo
08.11.2012 , 08:54 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by bobmcbo View Post
not to mention how much the combat sucked when you were killing them
Eh, not really. It was just a matter of learning the proper method and I could grind all day long.
That's the thing. Most grown ups don't mind working towards a goal. It's part of being a grown up.
It doesn't bother me that some of my guild mates are in full, augmented war hero gear, while I've yet to achieve full battle master. They're good at it, enjoy it, and put in the time to earn it.
It doesn't bother me that they earned achievements long before I did. As I gradually improve my gear, I'm also learning.

My problem is, if they try to model an RPG after a shooter, there is no way I'll be able to progress through the content.
I've played enough games to know which genre I'm good at, and which I get frustrated and quit.
The only time I play games like Halo, is when I'm hanging out with my brother-in-law and nephew. So far, I've been able to hold my own against my 10 year old nephew, but the brother-in-law beats me like a rented mule every time.

If they wanted the Halo model, they could have gone that route, and probably had a good game. But you can't build a shooter, and call it an RPG, even if you bought the rights to the Dungeons and Dragons trade mark.

That being said, another angle I read had to do with making low level areas work similar to war zones. That being that a lvl 50 could go to Coruscant and help a guildie with a quest, without nerfing his buddy's xp, because his stats would be modified to match the zone. That might have merit, provided it was voluntary and not automatic. The way people do Esseles for social points now.

ClavisN
08.11.2012 , 09:51 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by bbare View Post
Yes, he does say that, and I wholeheartedly support him in that. Neither computer hardware nor hypernervous 15yearold's reflexes should make you a good gamer. Games that do are broken. Go play pong with that skill set.