Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Force sensitive Mandalorians

TKMaster
08.10.2012 , 10:18 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Aximand View Post
You really can't take Karen Traviss' take on these things seriously. Before she came along, Mandalorians respected the Jedi as worthy opponents, and didn't hate them at all. She pretty much re-wrote the entire Mandalorian culture into a Jedi Hategroup.
You can hate and respect someone at the same time.

You really seem obsesed with Traviss TBH.

Maaruin
08.10.2012 , 10:23 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by JacenHallis View Post
Spoiler for Knights of the Old Republic: War comic book series follows:
Spoiler

I think it was in Revelation (a Traviss book) where Jaina was told that a force-sensitive Mandalorian would be useful only for getting something off the top shelf. I can't find the exact quote anymore, as I've lost the link to the review I read of it. Still, it was suitably derogatory and insulting to Jedi, in true Karen Traviss fashion.
Spoiler

lol. That statement is simply not true. Plain and simple, there is no way around it. The character who said it has no idea of better reflexes and the other stuff that goes unnoticed.
A Force sensitive mandalorian would dodge a blaster bolt, and he would say he was just extremely lucky.
"I was one of many. We were servants of the dark side… Sith Lords, we called ourselves. So proud. In the end we were not so proud. We hid… hid from those we had betrayed. We fell… and I knew it would be so."
-Ajunta Pall

Aximand
08.10.2012 , 10:26 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by TKMaster View Post
You can hate and respect someone at the same time.

You really seem obsesed with Traviss TBH.
She comes up a lot in these conversations because she re-wrote so much of the Mandalorian culture to her personal perspective. At no point (that I can recall) prior to Karen Traviss did the Mandalorians have anything but respect for the Jedi and their combat prowess. Once Ms. Talifan started writing, all of a sudden all they were good for was getting jars open and they were regularly referred to as the "Bathrobe Brigade".

The point being, she is an extremely biased source for anything regarding the Jedi and the Mandalorians, and her personal view is pretty obvious in all of her characterizations and character interactions.
I'm not mean, you're just a sissy.
The Orange Pixel is the REAL Sith Emperor
I don't need luck, I've got ammo - Urdnot Grunt
Remember 4/22/2011. A day that shall live in infamy.

JacenHallis
08.10.2012 , 04:07 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Maaruin View Post
Spoiler

lol. That statement is simply not true. Plain and simple, there is no way around it. The character who said it has no idea of better reflexes and the other stuff that goes unnoticed.
A Force sensitive mandalorian would dodge a blaster bolt, and he would say he was just extremely lucky.
If you play KOTOR and listen to Canderous talk about his battles against Revan, you know that he has an intense respect for him. He viewed fighting Revan as an honor. It was the best grindstone upon which to sharpen his skills. That said, he doesn't seem to share that sentiment when it comes to the Jedi as a whole. But, he does mention that the Jedi are the top dogs in the galaxy, and that's why the Mandos keep going after them.

As for your spoiler question, I offer this:
Ruminara Ven
Passion, yet serenity.

TKMaster
08.11.2012 , 04:50 AM | #15
She comes up a lot in these conversations because she re-wrote so much of the Mandalorian culture to her personal perspective. At no point (that I can recall) prior to Karen Traviss did the Mandalorians have anything but respect for the Jedi and their combat prowess. Once Ms. Talifan started writing, all of a sudden all they were good for was getting jars open and they were regularly referred to as the "Bathrobe Brigade".

The point being, she is an extremely biased source for anything regarding the Jedi and the Mandalorians, and her personal view is pretty obvious in all of her characterizations and character interactions.
You really dont have to try and expalin your slant to me, i've been on the Star Wars block a looooong time now. Did they like holding hands with Jedi? Doubtfull, just because it wasnt wrote down doesnt mean we cant use a little deductive reasoning on the matter.

After centuries of getting beat down by Jedi, not because of thier "combat prowess" but because they got lucky in a galactic wide genetic lottery and have super powers, tbqh it was prolly starting to rub the Mandos wrong.

You can yap all day about how OP she made mandos but i bet there will be no mention of Troy Denning and his passionate love of his lord and savior demi-god Jedi that he makes them out to be, or say Christine Golden and her Jedi love letters......i mean novels.

But hey, history is written by the winners right?

Ulfr_Thralati
08.12.2012 , 10:41 PM | #16
*sigh* Aximand, are you going to come into every Mando related thread and whine about how Karen Traviss ruined your life?

Fyurii
08.13.2012 , 01:14 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Ulfr_Thralati View Post
*sigh* Aximand, are you going to come into every Mando related thread and whine about how Karen Traviss ruined your life?
If someone brings up the ridiculousness that passed for Traviss' contribution to post-ROTJ EU, then he's certainly entitled to speak his mind.
She did drastically change the Mandos, and made them out to be superior. She began doing that in her Republic Commando books.
________║≤o≥║___________
/_______TROOPER___≡≡≡≡≡≡≡╡
\_/‾‾‾‾ // ╝‾‾╚▄▄▄▄▄/‾‾‾‾‾

OddballEasyEight
06.08.2013 , 01:09 PM | #18

No matter how you feel about the "traviss-travesty" it is still canon (well, it was until lucas sold his goose with the golden eggs) so thats how it is :/

One thing to note tho (and correct me if im wrong, since i never did read the books) is that they all take place during the movies-era right?
Whos to say that mandalorian culture was exactly the same 3000+ years earlier?

Wolfninjajedi
06.08.2013 , 01:13 PM | #19
*Gives an applause at the Necro!*
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

Beniboybling
06.08.2013 , 03:48 PM | #20
This is a necro, but I may as well point out what an awesome idea a Force sensitive Mandalorian would be. If handled right of course. Mandalorians with lightsabers! Yeah awesome!