Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Force sensitive Mandalorians

Maaruin
08.09.2012 , 10:53 AM | #1
Somehow while watching "The Clone Wars", I had the funny thought of a Jedi who joined the Mandalorians. Of course, when you think about it, it wouldn't happen. Neither would the Jedi, nor the Mandalorians accept this, I guess.

But then I thought:

What about Force sensitives who are born as Mandalorians. If I remember correctly, Mandalorians have the obligation to raise their children as Mandalorians. And Force sensitives shouldn't be an exception.

Has this ever happened in Star Wars history? Were there any Force sensitive Mandalorians? I guess the Mandalorians wouldn't give them any special treatment, but they should still excel in what they do.
"I was one of many. We were servants of the dark side… Sith Lords, we called ourselves. So proud. In the end we were not so proud. We hid… hid from those we had betrayed. We fell… and I knew it would be so."
-Ajunta Pall

ToEasy
08.09.2012 , 11:21 AM | #2
I found this page on wookieepedia: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mandalorian_Knights
"Jedi do not fight for peace. That's only a slogan, and is as misleading as slogans always are. Jedi fight for civilization, because only civilization creates peace. We fight for justice because justice is the fundamental bedrock of civilization: an unjust civilization is built upon sand. It does not long survive a storm." - Mace Windu

MyDarkSunshine
08.09.2012 , 11:26 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Maaruin View Post
Somehow while watching "The Clone Wars", I had the funny thought of a Jedi who joined the Mandalorians. Of course, when you think about it, it wouldn't happen. Neither would the Jedi, nor the Mandalorians accept this, I guess.
Actually, that is how Bardan Jusik survived order 66.

What about Force sensitives who are born as Mandalorians. If I remember correctly, Mandalorians have the obligation to raise their children as Mandalorians. And Force sensitives shouldn't be an exception.

Has this ever happened in Star Wars history? Were there any Force sensitive Mandalorians? I guess the Mandalorians wouldn't give them any special treatment, but they should still excel in what they do.
I would have thought they're raised as Mandalorians regardless of their Force sensitivity - which may go completely undiscovered for their entire lifetime. Even if a Jedi were to discover it, it would probably be too late to train them, and as Mando'a culture is so family/clan bound they'd unlikely give up their beliefs to join the Jedi Order - which would require them to cut their ties, so to speak. They might be more inclined to join the Sith, but somehow I still doubt it.

If it has happened, I do not know of it (my knowledge of a lot of the expanded universe is lacking). Given how the Force travels, to some extent, through bloodlines, it might be that without first accepting Force sensitives into their ranks they wont have (m)any born naturally. Or it could be, as previously speculated, they simply go unnoticed; assumed to be nothing more than highly skilled and/or naturally lucky.

The concept in general has inspired the creation of a fair amount of fanart and potentially fiction, though.
"Who I am is not important- my message is." Revan

Kilikaa
08.09.2012 , 12:05 PM | #4
As the above poster said, Bardan Jusik left the Order to become a madalorian.

As for raising Force Sensitives...It has happened. During the cClone Wars a member of Omega Squad, a team of four elite Clone Commandos, fell in love with a Jedi. His name was Darman, her's was Etain Tur-mukan. She became pregnant with his child. When OSS was issued she was leaving the Order and on her way to meet up with Omega Squad and their training sargent, a Mando named Kal Skirata. They were going to escape to Mandalore, leaving the Republic/Empire behind. Etain didn't make it off Coruscant.

For the next sixty plus years Their son was raised as a Mandalorian. Since Bardan had also escaped with Skirata and the Clones he helped raise the child and train him in the ways of the Force so he could control it. He was first and foremost a Mandalorian with Force abilities. Not exactly the most accepted member of the Mandalorians but he was one of them.

Aximand
08.09.2012 , 12:27 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Kilikaa View Post
As the above poster said, Bardan Jusik left the Order to become a madalorian.

As for raising Force Sensitives...It has happened. During the cClone Wars a member of Omega Squad, a team of four elite Clone Commandos, fell in love with a Jedi. His name was Darman, her's was Etain Tur-mukan. She became pregnant with his child. When OSS was issued she was leaving the Order and on her way to meet up with Omega Squad and their training sargent, a Mando named Kal Skirata. They were going to escape to Mandalore, leaving the Republic/Empire behind. Etain didn't make it off Coruscant.

For the next sixty plus years Their son was raised as a Mandalorian. Since Bardan had also escaped with Skirata and the Clones he helped raise the child and train him in the ways of the Force so he could control it. He was first and foremost a Mandalorian with Force abilities. Not exactly the most accepted member of the Mandalorians but he was one of them.
It should be noted that most of these characters are creations of Karen Traviss and have absolutely crap characterizations.
I'm not mean, you're just a sissy.
The Orange Pixel is the REAL Sith Emperor
I don't need luck, I've got ammo - Urdnot Grunt
Remember 4/22/2011. A day that shall live in infamy.

Maaruin
08.09.2012 , 03:37 PM | #6
Thanks all, that answers my questions, I guess. So I'll assume throughout history there were some force sensitive Mandalorians, but because they got no special treatment, most of them weren't really noticed.
"I was one of many. We were servants of the dark side… Sith Lords, we called ourselves. So proud. In the end we were not so proud. We hid… hid from those we had betrayed. We fell… and I knew it would be so."
-Ajunta Pall

Aximand
08.09.2012 , 04:33 PM | #7
Thanks all, that answers my questions, I guess. So I'll assume throughout history there were some force sensitive Mandalorians, but because they got no special treatment, most of them weren't really noticed.
There's some fan-speculation that some of the more prominent Non-Jedi/Sith characters had a mild connection to the Force. For instance, Han Solo is pretty much one of the best pilots ever, to the point where some of the crap he got away with is almost unheard of for an un-augmented human. Another one is Boba and Jango Fett. There's been some talk that Jango/Boba may have had a mild connection to the Force, but nothing trainable, because of his (Jango's not Boba's) success in taking on Jedi, and Boba for living as long as he did in the Bounty Hunting game. Absolutely nothing in Canon supports these hypotheses, though, so don't put any stock in them at all.

As for the "special treatment" thing, however, Karen's Jedi-Turned-Mando-Mando (I can't remember his name) was referred to as the Mando-Talk equivalent of "father" by a lot of the Clones, if I'm remembering their honorific for him correctly. He was basically Traviss' pet mouth piece of outrage against the Jedi Order, he soundly condemned them for taking Jedi recruits young and called it kidnapping (even though the Jedi Order never did such a thing). Then, funnily enough, when a Force Sensitive child was born on Mandalore, guess who came riding in and decided that the child had to go with him no matter what whether the parents wanted it or not? If you guessed Karen's pet ex-Jedi, you guessed correctly.

cool-dude
08.10.2012 , 06:51 AM | #8
Fantastic idea for a new storyline on swtor,
"Sarcasm is strong in this one"

JacenHallis
08.10.2012 , 09:44 AM | #9
Spoiler for Knights of the Old Republic: War comic book series follows:
Spoiler

I think it was in Revelation (a Traviss book) where Jaina was told that a force-sensitive Mandalorian would be useful only for getting something off the top shelf. I can't find the exact quote anymore, as I've lost the link to the review I read of it. Still, it was suitably derogatory and insulting to Jedi, in true Karen Traviss fashion.
Ruminara Ven
Passion, yet serenity.

Aximand
08.10.2012 , 10:05 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by JacenHallis View Post
Spoiler for Knights of the Old Republic: War comic book series follows:
Spoiler

I think it was in Revelation (a Traviss book) where Jaina was told that a force-sensitive Mandalorian would be useful only for getting something off the top shelf. I can't find the exact quote anymore, as I've lost the link to the review I read of it. Still, it was suitably derogatory and insulting to Jedi, in true Karen Traviss fashion.
You really can't take Karen Traviss' take on these things seriously. Before she came along, Mandalorians respected the Jedi as worthy opponents, and didn't hate them at all. She pretty much re-wrote the entire Mandalorian culture into a Jedi Hategroup.