Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Level 50, how do i gear up?

jaliscoautuick
08.09.2012 , 12:58 AM | #1
Hi Swtor-community =)

I hit level 50 about 2-3 weeks ago, but have almost stopped playing that toon, primarily because I feel like i have hit a wall. I now realize I was a poorly equipped level 50, as I didn't understand the game well enough to be better prepared.

I want to be able to grind hardmode FP and other not get laughed at, if I got invited to an operation =)

I am a tank and now have up to 16,500ish health. Is that enough for hardmode Flashpoints?

From what I have been able to figure, I need to do dailys so I can get the 240 commendations for the elite implant and earpiece.

But, where do I get the other pieces from? =)

Thanks,

Darth Lindner

Rhaphael
08.09.2012 , 03:16 AM | #3
1) Use your pvp token to buy a set of Recruit tank gear
2) Run dailies a while to buy R23 Armorings/Hilt/Barrel and get purple mods/enhancements (the lvl will be equal to Recruit gear, but the allocation will be better).
3) Run HM FP's.

Most other people you meet in FP's will be using a mix of Columi/Rakata/BH and it will be difficult to maintain agro from the healer and dps if you're in (sub)50 quest green/blue gear. No need to run dailies until you can afford the Rakata implants/earring, just get the other stuff for now.

Leovinus
08.09.2012 , 05:02 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by jaliscoautuick View Post
Hi Swtor-community =)

I hit level 50 about 2-3 weeks ago, but have almost stopped playing that toon, primarily because I feel like i have hit a wall. I now realize I was a poorly equipped level 50, as I didn't understand the game well enough to be better prepared.

I want to be able to grind hardmode FP and other not get laughed at, if I got invited to an operation =)

I am a tank and now have up to 16,500ish health. Is that enough for hardmode Flashpoints?

From what I have been able to figure, I need to do dailys so I can get the 240 commendations for the elite implant and earpiece.

But, where do I get the other pieces from? =)

Thanks,

Darth Lindner
You only wear one earpiece, and are probably thinking of the second implant. Rakata implants aren't unique though, so you can have two, if you so choose. But like the person above me said, those are nice but not completely necessary. Also, you could potentially get columi implants, which may be better stat wise, as they are craftable and tradeable, so check the GTN. Barring that, some level 49/50 purple implants and earpieces should be more than adequate to start, just make sure they're the right balance of stats, which will vary depending on which type of tank you are.

JMCH
08.09.2012 , 05:23 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Rhaphael View Post
1) Use your pvp token to buy a set of Recruit tank gear
Worst idea ever, especially since he's already more hp and probably more defense than what this would give.

Acope
08.09.2012 , 06:00 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by JMCH View Post
Worst idea ever, especially since he's already more hp and probably more defense than what this would give.
Not exactly. Check out the gear and see if some stuff may be better then what you currently have. Recruit offhands are better then most of the greens and blues you have found questing. Possibly the earpiece and implants. The champion relics are stat relics, which IMO are better then even on use relics for most situations.

Use Group Finder to Q up for HM Flashpoints, but do not do random. Try picking certain FP's your familiar with and confident on, Get some gear from those, and then start doing randoms when you feel really comfortable. Each FP drops a certain piece of columi gear on the last boss so try to farm the ones your missing gear from.

PvP if you can. Just try it out once and a while and get some comm's. Win or loose, after a few matches you'll have Battle master comms, buy a relic, or a piece or armor. The Armoring is on the level of columi, but the mod and enhancement are rakata identical ( with some expertise to boot).

Lastly- LEARN THE FIGHTS! Dont spend 10 hours a day reading strats on HM FP's and Op's, but have a pretty goood idea what to do when you get in there. Know if certain bosses have mechanics that you have to interrupt or have to avoid at all cost. Even and under geared tank can preform well if he knows how to avoid all the "DERP" stuff.
B
etween the daily and the weekly for HM FP's, and even PvP if you wanted to, you can gear out in a week, 2 max.

Gidrea
08.09.2012 , 02:08 PM | #7
You don't have to PvP. I know a few people who did this and it worked for them:

Do Dailies until you get all purple armorings, mods and enhancements. You can also get Rakata earpieces and implants.

Also, do level 50 FPs. Don't forget to pick up the daily and weekly missions from the terminal on the Fleet.

With the Tionese crystals and commsn, you can get Tionese gear.

Start running HM Flashpoints and Story Mode Ops. These drop Columi gear, and you can get Columi comms for the daily/weekly missions, and Black Hole Comms, too.

You can also use the 320K credits from the PvP terminal mission, and the 250K credits you can make from dailies to buy implants and relics and earpieces from the GTN.
Gidrea / Sallah / Amandageddon / Randava - The Harbinger

Shock and Jawa / Population Comtrol - The family you chose, not the one your parents stuck you with! Join us and be a Jawa!

dipstik
08.09.2012 , 02:29 PM | #8
once you are in tionese and 50 purples, you can prolly offtank EV and KP story mode, and main tank teir 1 hard modes (get as many black hole comms as you can). ev and kp will get you geared mcuh faster if u are being carried (which most are since even people in bh gear just want the comms). once in columi and some bh (from doing lfg hmfp and ops) try to find a guild that does hm kp and ev gear runs to get you in rakata, and maybe try to fiond a group willing to teach you lihm... then u can start doing lihm and kaon for more black hole comms... and even ecsm at this point. when you get into full rakata try to get into a nightmare pilgrim group and start echm (dont suggest pugging it)... and get yourself some capaign so u can stop wearing the silly clothes with the stat bonus...

ImmortalAlien
08.09.2012 , 02:32 PM | #9
If you're decently geared after getting to level 50 (nearly all blues), attempt to run SM EV and KP. Do your group the kindness of looking up fight walkthroughs beforehand.

If you're still in obviously low level greens, either:
- Buy the Recruit set, go immediately into a SM EV and KP
- Grind Dailies for armoring mods and level 50 Prototypes, go immediately into SM EV and KP

Buying the Recruit set is faster, yet you get more money grinding out Dailies to finish getting level 50 Prototypes.

Your gear progression should be like this:

At least get level 50 Prototypes for everything -> Columi (Run SM EV and KP, then run HM Flashpoints to fill the gaps) -> Rakata (HM EV and KP, SM Denova) -> Black Hole/Campaign (Grinding LFG tool and other stuff, plus HM Denova)

Getting as many BH comms as you can also help in getting ready for the next tier faster.

Basil_Evenstar
08.09.2012 , 02:43 PM | #10
A good armormech/synthweaver can make purple armor with armor ratings equivalent to tionese armor and in many cases have superior stats (like defense, shield, absorb).