Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

A Message from the Community Manager

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
A Message from the Community Manager
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Aymi
08.08.2012 , 12:19 PM | #51
This is great news to hear from you again.
But, may i ask you what is to come for us french and german players ? is Courtney our new CM, can we ask her in french (for example ?) or do we'll have to come back here ?

Thank you for your time.
Major Fei'lhyn Battle Meditation
Communauté Aegis

SithEBM
08.08.2012 , 12:33 PM | #52
Quote: Originally Posted by Kharnis View Post
Uh huh. You do realise that we've heard this before, right? Like, the last time you had a "our team has gone through a shakeup" route? Do you remember this?

That was back in May. And in that entire time, you've had even less communication with us. So, we're to believe you now? Too little, too late. You had one job: listen to what we were telling you, then tell the developers, and once the developers gave you an answer, you tell us. You didn't do that. And then you wonder why over one million of your customers went away?

Sorry, mate. But I don't believe you, or anyone at Bioware/EA, anymore. The fact that many of you still have jobs is nothing short of miraculous. Somewhere in the Bioware structure, a major disconnect happened. And yet, we haven't had any announcements of how this disconnect was fixed, or who paid the price for it. You no longer have the confidence of your customers, and it should not have come to this.
This.

snowyv
08.08.2012 , 12:47 PM | #53
Quote: Originally Posted by JovethGonzalez View Post
As a community team, we are here to help get answers from developers when they are available. Sometimes, we simply don't have new information or the answers to certain things. The weekly developer Q&A is currently the best place to ask questions related to the development of the game. As I mentioned before, we're going to push for more interactions as part of our new plan.
Thanks for the response. I understand where you're coming from so maybe the solution is you guys ought to put much more pressure on devs to set targets, communicate them, and then meet delivery expectations...

Bottom line is, and plenty of other people here are saying the same thing so I hope you get the message: until we see some actual results and progress, we're not convinced. You've used up all of the benefit of the doubt that we're willing to give on this.

Look forward to seeing what comes round the corner.

snowyv
08.08.2012 , 12:59 PM | #54
As a community team, we are here to help get answers from developers when they are available. Sometimes, we simply don't have new information or the answers to certain things. The weekly developer Q&A is currently the best place to ask questions related to the development of the game. As I mentioned before, we're going to push for more interactions as part of our new plan.
I thought about it some more - and I'd like your help to get answers from developers to my original list, all of which are familiar to anyone reading the boards, none of which have been even remotely referred to in Q&A. Please go to the developers and ask them point blank:

"On the following issues, are you working on this [Yes / No]. If you are working on it, when have you set a deadline for it to be done by [Timeframe / Date / Month]?"

• New content expectation, HK, v1.4
  • PUG RWZ
  • Choosing specific WZs when queuing
  • Server transfers and legacy merges
  • Fixing identified bugs
  • Ilum
  • Dual spec
  • Longer GTN postings
  • Character customizations (both gear and character model)
  • Companion customizations
  • Minigames

Answering Yes or No really should be straightforward - is it on the issues board we once heard so much about or isn't it? If it's on the board, who's working on it and when are they targeting it for? Quite simply, if these questions on these issues cannot be answered with straight responses, then I will have learned all I need to know about the future of this game.

DarkTrooperV
08.08.2012 , 01:04 PM | #55
I guess I'm of two minds about this.

In my job, I can't afford to not tell my client what they want to know when they ask me for information. I have to have an answer for them. Right, wrong or indifferent. And in this aspect, I can see why some of the people in the community are so upset. The weekly...or biweekly...Q&A's are ok at best. But the questions that get picked are...how do I put this nicely...useless questions? As another poster said earlier, there were eight or more pages of hard hitting questions such as: "When are Paid Transfers coming out now that the Free ones are over?" or "When will SGRA's be put into the game that Bioware promised at launch?". And there were many more great questions about bug fixes et all. People just want answers to the information. Right, wrong or indifferent. They may not be happy with the answers, but they'll at least have them if nothing else.

Now on the other side of the coin, if there is nothing to report, then...there isn't much that can be done. And it sucks, no doubt about it. So why say anything if there's nothing to report? And you feel bad if you have to keep hush hush about something and in turn it torques off the people of the community more because they think you're ignoring them. When in truth, it couldn't be further from the truth.

So on one side, I understand the frustrations of the community. And on the other, I know the turmoils of the people reporting to the community. Sometimes...Customer Service just sucks big time.
"So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause." -Padme Amadala "You were the Chosen One! It was said you were to destroy the Sith! Not join them!" -Obi Wan Kenobi RIP: Star Wars Galaxies. You will be missed.

Urael
08.08.2012 , 01:19 PM | #56
Of course not! This just means that we will be sure to spread out our communication when WE have new information for you. This does not affect fan sites or any interviews conducted
Would it be possible to put section on the website that agrigates all the 3rd party media. I am not asking for a recompile of the information here but, a page that links interviews, twitter feeds etc. Right now either I have to dig for it, or wait until someone reposts the information on the forums. It would be helpful if you know you are doing interviews and such to do the next step and link them. You could even go so far has have a PoC for people to send you Stories/Interviews on SWTOR so you can agrigate them and publish the links. Something like this would be helpful.

recsa
08.08.2012 , 01:25 PM | #57
Good to read you again, wellcome back, how went the summer holidays?

Hi everyone,

For those of you that don’t know, I’m Joveth Gonzalez, Community Manager for Star Wars™: The Old Republic™.

As most of you know, over the past few months, our team, our studio, and our game have undergone quite a few changes. Through it all, we’ve remained committed to the community and have worked with the development team to make sure that your voices were heard.
Old news for most of us.

I wanted to take some time to reassure you all that my team, the community team, is still committed to you folks. As part of this commitment, we’re excited to let you know that we have been developing a brand new strategy for our team that focuses on developing new ways to bring you more information about the game and the people involved with SWTOR's development.
Dont want to seem disrespectful, but this looks like the same old blah blah blah we have been reading for months, im way too tired of promises that are never acomplished, i could bet my right i have already seen this same words or very similar coming from you 1 or 2 months ago

As we progress towards the recently announced Free-to-Play experience, you can expect more frequent updates to the game (which means more information coming to you) and more developer interactions.
After patch 1.2 we were told exactly same thing: "from now on expect more frequent content updates, better communication and world events coming on a regular basis"

We know what came, 1 single world event and 1 update that is not really a content update but an utility update.

The Star Wars: The Old Republic community is large and spread across many outlets, but rest assured that our team is scouring the forums, Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, fan sites, and anywhere that SWTOR is being discussed to make sure that we get your thoughts, comments, questions, and general feedback. Know that we are listening you, no matter where you choose to participate in the SWTOR community.

In the upcoming weeks, you’ll be seeing elements of our new community strategy as they appear on our site. One of our primary goals with this is to ensure that new information about the game is communicated as quickly and effectively as possible.
Community round up posts, extremly filtered Q&A blogs and such is not the way to go, its not what makes a community feel that Developers care about our thughts and feeling on the game.

Quickly adressing issues, making polls and really translating them to game, answering to posts on a daily basis with other than "we cant say anyhting else yet", .... those are things that matter, remember dialogue not monologue.

Also this new strategy of ninja-force-closing threads doesnt help much, im sure you dont like what is being said on your own forums, but closing threads is not the way to turn sides, start acting like a company devoted to your game and im sure the forums will be a much better place.

Last but not least, I will be re-introducing the rest of community team along with this new strategy. You may have already seen them here on the forums or on the website, but you will learn more about Allison Berryman, Eric Musco, Courtney Woods, Amber Green, Lars Malcharek, and Antonio Moreno.

We're all excited about the future of this game and with the new focus on more frequent content updates and the introduction of the Free-to-Play experience, you can expect more communication opportunities overall.
This said, im all for second or third or was it fourth? oportunities, i really hope this "new" policy in community management and the change to F2P (which i dont like) becames the cornerstone for this game and makes it succed and last years, because i like it, it has some nice elements (not story ofc, not VO ofc, im talking about real gaming elemnents) and want to be able to keep playing for as long as possible, come on, we have Lightsabers!!!

BEST WISHES!!
A long time from now, in a galaxy far, far away, fanbois will realize they hurt games they love in a way no troll could ever dream of.

TUXs
08.08.2012 , 01:28 PM | #58
Quote: Originally Posted by recsa View Post
...start acting like a company devoted to your game and im sure the forums will be a much better place.
This is SOLID advice!!! Well said!
All warfare is based on deception. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected. If his forces are united, separate them. If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near. A leader leads by example not by force.

nakoda
08.08.2012 , 01:39 PM | #59
I miss the days when websites were places to go to for information and not for advertisements. This problem isn't just here, it is endemic of 21st century internet politics. Even most college websites (as an example) have more information for prospective parents than for enrolled students. It is appalling.

I just want to be able to open a web site, find the information I need, and leave.

The very design/interface of this website does NOT facilitate information, it facilitates advertisements.

If you are sincere about revamping your communications procedures, I would recommend redesigning the web page to put information BEFORE the buy it now button, and not the way it is now. That is to say, I already own the game, and am logged in to my paid account, but I still am bombarded with BUY IT NOW on every page. I don't need to BUY IT NOW, and in three weeks, NO ONE WILL.

Frankly, it feels to me like the developers and community reps are listening to focus groups, marketing tests, and shareholders, not actual feed back from people actually using your product.

Your post reeks of placation and soothing, and has no actual content in it. But thank you for putting your foot forward, best foot or not.
Quote: Originally Posted by John Riccitiello of EA
When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time...We're not gouging, but we're charging.
An Article About F2P

Gaxar
08.08.2012 , 01:45 PM | #60
Quote: Originally Posted by Kharnis View Post
Uh huh. You do realise that we've heard this before, right? Like, the last time you had a "our team has gone through a shakeup" route? Do you remember this?

That was back in May. And in that entire time, you've had even less communication with us. So, we're to believe you now? Too little, too late. You had one job: listen to what we were telling you, then tell the developers, and once the developers gave you an answer, you tell us. You didn't do that. And then you wonder why over one million of your customers went away?

Sorry, mate. But I don't believe you, or anyone at Bioware/EA, anymore. The fact that many of you still have jobs is nothing short of miraculous. Somewhere in the Bioware structure, a major disconnect happened. And yet, we haven't had any announcements of how this disconnect was fixed, or who paid the price for it. You no longer have the confidence of your customers, and it should not have come to this.
QFT. This guy gets it. At a time when the game was already on shaky ground, there was this new hope, when the team came out saying 'we're gonna do things different, we got a new plan, a new team, we gonna tell you all about them and they gonna be here to interact with you loads more than before'

tumbleweed.

F2p announcement.

tumbleweed.

'hi guys! we're back! and we got a NEW new plan. we gonna communicate more, tell you about us more, and be here to interact with you!'

wait wot. wasnt that the old new plan? the plan that then went on to deliver even less comms than before?

As the above guy said, sorry mate, but i simply have stopped caring now, so while you may profess to having this grand li'l scheme to communicate with me, i cancelled my sub a minute ago, as GW2 is coming out and i have lost patience with swtor's lack of content, lack of communication and lack of direction other than to nickle and dime me by introducing a cash shop that i highly suspect will make the game pay2win after the first few months to make up for the million subs you lost.

I guess this post also falls into the new ban hammer remit as i havent posted any constructive ways you can improve, but hell, if you need me to tell you how to improve then thats an even bigger problem you got there mate.
Impressiiiiiiiiive......Most impressive.