Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Star Trek vs Star Wars (multiple scenarios)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Star Trek vs Star Wars (multiple scenarios)

Rayla_Felana
08.08.2012 , 08:43 AM | #1
Instead of the usual battles, I want to mix it up with multiple ones.

Species Rules: No force-users, military power only. No calling out-of-faction help.

The Galactic Empire(RotJ, not post-RotJ) vs The Dominion (DS9)

The Undine(Species 8472 from Voyager) vs The Yuuzhan Vong.

The Borg Collective vs the Galactic Alliance.

Klingon Empire vs The Sith Empire(TOR) (Special Rule of no Force Users stretched to allow Average Sith Warriors, etc... no big boys).

MyDarkSunshine
08.08.2012 , 09:42 AM | #2
I'm a fan of both Star Trek and Star Wars, but not the extent that I'd have any real concept of how the weapons/defenses would compare next to each other, so I might have a few misconceptions as-to the relative powers of each setting. As such, this post should only be interpreted as my opinion.

An important thing to clarify would be whether you are referring to space combat, ground combat or an all out war involving both. I've attempted to consider both options in my response. It might also help to clarify eras, for instance the technology fielded within Star Trek progressively improved (in regards to the setting), whilst technology within Star Wars was far more static.

Quote: Originally Posted by Rayla_Felana View Post

The Galactic Empire(RotJ, not post-RotJ) vs The Dominion (DS9)
Gut feeling would be that The Dominion would win, overall.

In regards to space combat; I've always had the distinct impression that Star Trek vessels are more powerful than any portrayed in Star Wars (short of a super star destroyer, anyway) - although that could be mistaken - and The Dominion had some strong vessels even in the context of their setting. The Dominion also had a massive amount of ships to call upon, or did until the Bajoran 'Gods' intervened.

On the ground the technologies seem less biased in Star Trek's favour, and The Galactic Empire had elite soldiers in the form of Storm Troopers (even if the movies didn't paint that picture), although by this point less clones were present and the standards could arguably be slipping. In fact, this might swing in the Empire's favour, even factoring in the threat that the Dominion remained even on the ground.

The Undine(Species 8472 from Voyager) vs The Yuuzhan Vong.
I don't know much at all about the Yuuzhan Vong, but Species were a particularly dangerous foe in the Star Trek universe. They scared the Borg, to put it in perspective.

The Borg Collective vs the Galactic Alliance.
Short of Federation-developed late era technology, Species or Q, the Borg pretty much out-classed everything in the Star Trek universe. A single Borg Cube presented a threat to an entire faction (e.g. the Federation), and even fleets of vessels arguably only won due to the plot power of main characters. The Borg had a lot of Cubes, but never seemed to feel the need to field them until the late era (thinking Star Trek Online MMO time period), by which point other races (namely the Federation) had developed and shared countermeasures.

With Force users the Alliance might have stood a chance. Without, there is unlikely to be anything the Borg could not adapt to and assimilate.

Klingon Empire vs The Sith Empire(TOR) (Special Rule of no Force Users stretched to allow Average Sith Warriors, etc... no big boys).
Whilst Klingon vessels certainly weren't the most powerful for their setting, I'm still unsure any of the Empire's ships could match their biggest warships. A few of the super weapons being developed during sw:tor might have evened the playing field, but they were never finished. However this is certainly the closest of the space combat scenarios offered. Tough call.

On the ground, I'd actually feel that given the extension of the special rule, and the sheer amount of droids fielded by the Empire of this period (which seemed to have died out by the RoTJ Empire - or might have affected the first scenario), the Empire would triumph.
"Who I am is not important- my message is." Revan

utio
08.08.2012 , 10:22 AM | #3
I'm sure I read somewhere that the weapons in star wars are far superior to those in star trek, however, it's all fiction anyway so not to be too anal about it, star wars wins all. Nothing beats star wars. IMO of course
PROPER SPACE COMBAT PLEASE

Maaruin
08.08.2012 , 10:57 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by utio View Post
I'm sure I read somewhere that the weapons in star wars are far superior to those in star trek, however, it's all fiction anyway so not to be too anal about it, star wars wins all. Nothing beats star wars. IMO of course
The weapon specc's of Star Wars were written later than those of Star Trek, specifically with the intent to make Star Wars look superior to Star Trek. So I don't believe those.

Numbers are something different, though. Federation, Klingons, etc are all much smaller than the Star Wars factions.
"I was one of many. We were servants of the dark side… Sith Lords, we called ourselves. So proud. In the end we were not so proud. We hid… hid from those we had betrayed. We fell… and I knew it would be so."
-Ajunta Pall

utio
08.08.2012 , 11:46 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Maaruin View Post
The weapon specc's of Star Wars were written later than those of Star Trek, specifically with the intent to make Star Wars look superior to Star Trek. So I don't believe those.

Numbers are something different, though. Federation, Klingons, etc are all much smaller than the Star Wars factions.
But surely(Shirley) if they were written as being more powerful, then they were?
Anyway, I'm sure Luke could take on all of star treks factions and beat them single handed lol.

Maaruin
08.08.2012 , 01:10 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by utio View Post
But surely(Shirley) if they were written as being more powerful, then they were?
Anyway, I'm sure Luke could take on all of star treks factions and beat them single handed lol.
I tend to ignore some parts of the EU... For the power of the ships I'd go more from the visuals. A Star Destroyer would win against Kirk's Enterprise but loose against Picard's Enterprise.

You know, there are some Star Wars fans who say "our ships one-shot the Star Trek ships, because they use much more energy, look in the tech files" and some Star Trek fans say "our shields counter laser like nothing, so the Death Star's superlaser would be totally absorbed by the shields of a small ship".

But that's no fun.

Q could take Luke single-handedly. He could take him with three fingers, just has to snap them. But we don't want to take the gods of both univereses against each others, do we?
"I was one of many. We were servants of the dark side… Sith Lords, we called ourselves. So proud. In the end we were not so proud. We hid… hid from those we had betrayed. We fell… and I knew it would be so."
-Ajunta Pall

ProfessorWalsh
08.08.2012 , 01:17 PM | #7
You don't have a choice. We have to go on what those manuals say because they create that universe. You can't determine a winner based on what you want we have to go by the "Facts" as presented by the respective IPs. Also no... Star Wars numbers were not written to be superior to Trek numbers, that is a very odd conspiracy theory.

Quote:
"There is no room for compromise. We walk the path of the light side, or we fall into darkness. There is no gray area, Ben."
~ Jedi Grand Master Luke Skywalker (P. 187 FotJ, Book II: Omen)
Host of the Jedi Council stream also author of From the Journal of Val Starwind

ProfessorWalsh
08.08.2012 , 01:18 PM | #8
I tend to ignore some parts of the EU... For the power of the ships I'd go more from the visuals. A Star Destroyer would win against Kirk's Enterprise but loose against Picard's Enterprise.

You know, there are some Star Wars fans who say "our ships one-shot the Star Trek ships, because they use much more energy, look in the tech files" and some Star Trek fans say "our shields counter laser like nothing, so the Death Star's superlaser would be totally absorbed by the shields of a small ship".

But that's no fun.

Q could take Luke single-handedly. He could take him with three fingers, just has to snap them. But we don't want to take the gods of both univereses against each others, do we?
Actually we don't know that Q could do that. The continuum doesn't exactly like it when Q's start pulling things and we don't know how the Force interacts with a Q.
"There is no room for compromise. We walk the path of the light side, or we fall into darkness. There is no gray area, Ben."
~ Jedi Grand Master Luke Skywalker (P. 187 FotJ, Book II: Omen)
Host of the Jedi Council stream also author of From the Journal of Val Starwind

Maaruin
08.08.2012 , 01:32 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by ProfessorWalsh View Post
You don't have a choice. We have to go on what those manuals say because they create that universe. You can't determine a winner based on what you want we have to go by the "Facts" as presented by the respective IPs. Also no... Star Wars numbers were not written to be superior to Trek numbers, that is a very odd conspiracy theory.
Okay, so Star Wars ships one shot Star Trek ships and Star Trek shields absorb the Death Star's superlaser. Nice.

Even if the numbers weren't written to be higher than Star Treks, I doubt they were written by a a scientists who analysed what the ships can do and concluded what speccs they would have. If that was the case for both manuals, they would be far closer to each other.

Quote: Originally Posted by ProfessorWalsh View Post
Actually we don't know that Q could do that. The continuum doesn't exactly like it when Q's start pulling things and we don't know how the Force interacts with a Q.
Well, Q can surely do much more than Luke, even if the continuum doesn't like it. Normally I would leave him out of the equation, though. The whole thing would become his game and end the way he likes it. I only brought him up because Luke-most-powerful-being-in-the-universe was brough up.
-Ajunta Pall

utio
08.08.2012 , 02:15 PM | #10
You can take my Luke would beat everything comment as tongue in cheek, I'm just messing