Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Nvidia card, firefox and old republic: does not work together

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Nvidia card, firefox and old republic: does not work together

Bulwyf
12.19.2011 , 07:53 AM | #1
I have a Nvidia Geforce GTX 560 and use firefox exclusively. I am using the current 290 series of beta drivers for this card due to the errors the last "official" drivers have produced in myself and many others computers.

What happens is while playing the game with Firefox open the screen will produce a weird effect with squares all over the place then it will go black screen and the only way to shut down the game is through Task Manager. I am on Windows 7 64 bit with a pretty good rig and this is driving me nuts. Has anyone found a combination of drivers or hardware tweaks to eliminate this problem?

My rig:

Intel Core i7 2600K(3.40GHz)
8GB DDR3
2TB HDD Capacity
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 1GB
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Such a lot the gods gave to me—to me, the dazed, the disappointed; the barren, the broken.

H.P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Bulwyf
12.19.2011 , 09:26 AM | #2
Bumping this since I can no longer go back and check my stats to find previous posts.
Such a lot the gods gave to me—to me, the dazed, the disappointed; the barren, the broken.

iRob
12.19.2011 , 09:29 AM | #3
I have an Nvidia with Windows 7 64bit and mine works fine with firefox open. I have the latest drivers and it's all fine.

Well, I say it works fine, but I am having frame rate issues like everyone else. Nothing like you've described though.

Volok
12.19.2011 , 09:35 AM | #4
I'm running GTX 580s in SLI with the 285.79 beta drivers with no issues, if you feel like giving those a try.

Smackvein
12.19.2011 , 09:40 AM | #5
Had a similar issue with firefox swtor and a 480gtx, turns out the nvidia drives were trying to load firefox as a 3d application. Just had to make a change in the nvidia control panel 3d application settings for firefox.exe

Bulwyf
12.19.2011 , 09:42 AM | #6
When I was in beta I had zero problems. It wasn't until I decided to update my driver with 285 one that this issue started. It also was doing this in Skyrim but the 290 beta seems to have fixed that issue. In fact the only game I have this issue with is this one.

Bulwyf
12.19.2011 , 09:45 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Smackvein View Post
Had a similar issue with firefox swtor and a 480gtx, turns out the nvidia drives were trying to load firefox as a 3d application. Just had to make a change in the nvidia control panel 3d application settings for firefox.exe
Do you remember what changes you made?

Petrus
12.19.2011 , 09:50 AM | #8
I have the exact same card (GTX 560) and never once had a crash or graphic issues.

Dude, update your drivers?

Bruunch
12.19.2011 , 09:50 AM | #9
I had an issue the other day where my nvidia driver would stop working if I had firefox open while also running swtor, it happened a fair few times.

I turned off hardware acceleration in Firefox and haven't had any driver crashes since then

Volok
12.19.2011 , 10:00 AM | #10
double post, weird.