Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

what's the protocol for item drops in flashpoints

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
what's the protocol for item drops in flashpoints

atheosa
08.06.2012 , 08:39 PM | #1
I was recently in a flashpoint with three other characters and they kicked me from the group like immature kids pouting about losing the item rolls. I was a bounty hunter and they were sith. One item I needed, they don't need bounty hunter gloves. Another was an item I wanted to sell. The last was an item I wanted to disassemble. I won those rolls but lost several other. I didn't pout when I lost rolls. They voted and kicked me out right at the end before the good loot dropped. Am I wrong in calling them A-Holes? Or am I "supposed" to just give them everything that my character can't use? Why else is there a greed and disassemble option? Any feedback is welcome.

DarkDisturbed
08.06.2012 , 09:01 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by atheosa View Post
I was recently in a flashpoint with three other characters and they kicked me from the group like immature kids pouting about losing the item rolls. I was a bounty hunter and they were sith. One item I needed, they don't need bounty hunter gloves. Another was an item I wanted to sell. The last was an item I wanted to disassemble. I won those rolls but lost several other. I didn't pout when I lost rolls. They voted and kicked me out right at the end before the good loot dropped. Am I wrong in calling them A-Holes? Or am I "supposed" to just give them everything that my character can't use? Why else is there a greed and disassemble option? Any feedback is welcome.
If they need it, yes, you give it to them.

It generally goes

Main Spec > Off spec > Alt > Companion > Sell

I've never liked people choosing Disassemble, as its a complete loss in almost every single case.

pauljc
08.06.2012 , 10:54 PM | #3
Generally, I only "need" something when it's usable by the class I'm currently playing and better than what I have equipped. If it's not, "greed" away. That's why the option's there.

Bringing talk of alts into the mix is kind of iffy because of course everyone can just lie about those.

Khevar
08.07.2012 , 10:14 AM | #4
I have to say, kicking you at the very end is a d**k move.

If in fact, you were rolling need incorrectly and the group was unhappy and they decided to vote kick you for it, waiting until the very end is the wrong way to do it.

DSafana
08.07.2012 , 12:52 PM | #5
If you needed on " an item I wanted to sell." and " an item I wanted to disassemble" and those items weren't useable by you at all, I would have booted you too. That's what the greed button is for. If you greeded on them and won the roll, that's fine by me.

MrSchmo
08.07.2012 , 01:49 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by DSafana View Post
If you needed on " an item I wanted to sell." and " an item I wanted to disassemble" and those items weren't useable by you at all, I would have booted you too. That's what the greed button is for. If you greeded on them and won the roll, that's fine by me.
That's where he went wrong. You don't need on something to sell, that's why there is a Greed button.
That's why they call it space, cause there is so much of it.

Khevar
08.07.2012 , 03:06 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by MrSchmo View Post
That's where he went wrong. You don't need on something to sell, that's why there is a Greed button.
I agree 100%. But it's better to kick the offender right away.

Waiting until the last boss is dead, but right before you loot? IMO, that's worse than someone needing when they shouldn't.

Eternalnight
08.08.2012 , 02:01 AM | #8
It isn't.

Pressing need on something you don't intend to use is the absolutely the worst thing you could do.
Now waiting until the end to kick instead of kicking immediately, may be kind of mean, but it isn't nearly as bad as ninja looting.

If the guy was pressing NEED on items he wanted to sell or disassemble then he got what he deserved.

Shai-Huluud
08.08.2012 , 02:21 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by DarkDisturbed View Post
If they need it, yes, you give it to them.

It generally goes

Main Spec > Off spec > Alt > Companion > Sell

I've never liked people choosing Disassemble, as its a complete loss in almost every single case.

Amongst the wider MMO community this is the generally accepted view.

As an experienced MMO'er it is easy to sometimes forget that in a game like SWTOR there are a lot of people who are new to the MMO world so there are a lot of situations like this cropping up. What I tend to do is give everyone one chance before booting. If you NEED on something you shouldn't then I'm going to talk to you about it until we come to an understanding before the FP goes any further...if you do it again then I will try to remove you from the group.

good on you for coming here and checking.
Neil.
RIP SWG - Jonni Mnemonic (Bria)

Eternalnight
08.08.2012 , 02:49 AM | #10
Am I wrong in calling them A-Holes?
If you pressed NEED (as implied by the first half of your post) on items you intend to sell, then you might as well call yourself that.

Quote:
Or am I "supposed" to just give them everything that my character can't use? Why else is there a greed and disassemble option? Any feedback is welcome.
That's a strange question. Greed and disassemble are there to be used.

And by selecting greed you are not necessarily giving anything away. If everyone else greeds it too you all have equal chance to win as it should be. However if someone else needs it because he is going to use it (and you would not use it), then yes, you are just supposed to let them have it.

And heads up, here comes the most important point:

It is not about what you "can" use. It is about what you are going to use.

If an item dropped, that you technically "can" use, but obviously you are not going to use (because you have better item equipped already) and you still clicked NEED on that anyway, then I would kick you for that too.