Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Full darkness or darkness/madness for pvp ?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Shadow / Assassin
Full darkness or darkness/madness for pvp ?

Pathlight-
08.03.2012 , 05:11 AM | #1
After playing a full kinetic shadow for a while, I'm thinking of rolling an assassin specifically for pvp. However I'm not sure whether to go full darkness or hybrid darkness/madness (this hybrid build). My goal is to achieve a good balance between survivability and damage potential.

In both cases, would it be viable to stack damage stats/ dps gear rather than endurance/ tank gear (in that order: wp>power>surge>crit>endurance). That way I could rely on the tank stance for survivability and damage stats for damage dealing.

All opinions and tips are welcome as I'm still relatively new to the class.

Jayshames
08.03.2012 , 05:44 AM | #2
Just a heads up, you're link is broke.

Pathlight-
08.03.2012 , 05:48 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Jayshames View Post
Just a heads up, you're link is broke.

Fixed it. Thanks for the heads up.

Jayshames
08.03.2012 , 05:56 AM | #4
I'm not 50 yet, but I've recently just specced into full darkness, was a bit tight for creds so I've got cheap and nasty gear but It's still working very well. It just depends what you want really. I've been using Madness for PvP and it's been getting me decent 200k+ damage in sub50 PvP in some matches, but it's a pretty squish build when you get someone whos actually half decent or attacked by more than one. On the other hand full Darkness may not get you the best DPS numbers but it's definitely enjoyable, with 3 stacks of harnessed darkness you get ok healing and when combined with Recklessness, Shock and spike you can get a decent little bit of burst. I can 1v1 most classes and win with Darkness at the moment. Also love the fact that whither is like a mini Death Field that also slows opponents for a lovely 15 seconds.

Pathlight-
08.03.2012 , 06:08 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Jayshames View Post
I'm not 50 yet, but I've recently just specced into full darkness, was a bit tight for creds so I've got cheap and nasty gear but It's still working very well. It just depends what you want really. I've been using Madness for PvP and it's been getting me decent 200k+ damage in sub50 PvP in some matches, but it's a pretty squish build when you get someone whos actually half decent or attacked by more than one. On the other hand full Darkness may not get you the best DPS numbers but it's definitely enjoyable, with 3 stacks of harnessed darkness you get ok healing and when combined with Recklessness, Shock and spike you can get a decent little bit of burst. I can 1v1 most classes and win with Darkness at the moment. Also love the fact that whither is like a mini Death Field that also slows opponents for a lovely 15 seconds.

Sounds good, I may go full darkness then. Still not sure about the post 50 gear though if it makes more sense to get full dps set, tank set or mix and match.

Jayshames
08.03.2012 , 06:17 AM | #6
Well... for PvP, from Harnessed Darkness you only get 2% of total health per tick from 3 stacks using force lightning, so the higher your endurance the more you'd benefit ofcourse, so maybe a mix match of DPS gear with high end and some tanky stats. Can't really help much there, I've basically only rolled alts for the enjoyment haven't really knuckled down concentrating on stats yet.

On the other hand Madness spec does a good bit of healing aswell, but it's not got as high survivability obviously, full madness tree you can get 2% of total health per critical hit from DoT's.
As I said, i'm only lvl 43 but in my gear with buffs + Exploitive Strikes procced I get around 50% crit chance which is farily decent.

Herem
08.03.2012 , 07:05 AM | #7
I've been 31/0/10 (with Dark Ward, for the rare instance I tank PvE) for the longest time, and I decided to give 23/1/17 a go for a few unranked matches last night. I think I'd need to spend more time using it to get everything down pat, but here are my thoughts from the time I did have.

First, I think it's clumsy to have to target the ground in order to use Death Field, versus how Wither hits my selected target and spreads out from there. Yes, the damage difference between Death Field and Wither is noticeable, but so is not having the slow associated with Wither. A 6 second, single-target slow with a 15 second cooldown just isn't good enough. The range difference between Death Field and Wither is a big thing, though, and having Death Field at my disposal allowed me to perform multiple last-second interruptions in Voidstar.

I can't say that I'm very fond of Maul, though, and after many months of not having to worry about whether I was behind someone to use an attack, trying to do it before Duplicity faded was tough for me. It would've been nice to have some sort of visual cue to tell me that Duplicity had procced.

Finally, the instant cast Whirlwind is a great thing, too. Having it was the difference between a cap and an interrupt on more than one occasion. Since I use it as basically a last resort in my normal spec (long cast time, interruptible), I know I didn't use it to its full potential as a hybrid. I think if I treat it like a third stun, I'd use it more often.

Ultimately, I'm going to stick with 31/0/10, mostly because I've already had so much success with it, but there's a lot to like about 23/1/17. It really just comes down to what you're most comfortable playing.

Edit: Yes, it's fine to prioritize dps stats over tank stats even if you use a majority-Darkness spec.

Pathlight-
08.03.2012 , 08:59 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Herem View Post
I've been 31/0/10 (with Dark Ward, for the rare instance I tank PvE) for the longest time, and I decided to give 23/1/17 a go for a few unranked matches last night. I think I'd need to spend more time using it to get everything down pat, but here are my thoughts from the time I did have.

First, I think it's clumsy to have to target the ground in order to use Death Field, versus how Wither hits my selected target and spreads out from there. Yes, the damage difference between Death Field and Wither is noticeable, but so is not having the slow associated with Wither. A 6 second, single-target slow with a 15 second cooldown just isn't good enough. The range difference between Death Field and Wither is a big thing, though, and having Death Field at my disposal allowed me to perform multiple last-second interruptions in Voidstar.

I can't say that I'm very fond of Maul, though, and after many months of not having to worry about whether I was behind someone to use an attack, trying to do it before Duplicity faded was tough for me. It would've been nice to have some sort of visual cue to tell me that Duplicity had procced.

Finally, the instant cast Whirlwind is a great thing, too. Having it was the difference between a cap and an interrupt on more than one occasion. Since I use it as basically a last resort in my normal spec (long cast time, interruptible), I know I didn't use it to its full potential as a hybrid. I think if I treat it like a third stun, I'd use it more often.

Ultimately, I'm going to stick with 31/0/10, mostly because I've already had so much success with it, but there's a lot to like about 23/1/17. It really just comes down to what you're most comfortable playing.

Edit: Yes, it's fine to prioritize dps stats over tank stats even if you use a majority-Darkness spec.
Thanks for the tips. I will probably go with 31/0/10 for now as it seems more indicated for pug games. One more question, I didn't quite get from your answer whether the tank stance (dark ward) should be used in pvp or not.

Herem
08.03.2012 , 09:47 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Pathlight- View Post
Thanks for the tips. I will probably go with 31/0/10 for now as it seems more indicated for pug games. One more question, I didn't quite get from your answer whether the tank stance (dark ward) should be used in pvp or not.
Dark Charge -- not to be confused with Dark Ward, which increases your shield chance by 15% -- should absolutely be used for Darkness PvP.

EvilSoft
08.03.2012 , 10:12 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Pathlight- View Post
After playing a full kinetic shadow for a while, I'm thinking of rolling an assassin specifically for pvp. However I'm not sure whether to go full darkness or hybrid darkness/madness (this hybrid build). My goal is to achieve a good balance between survivability and damage potential.

In both cases, would it be viable to stack damage stats/ dps gear rather than endurance/ tank gear (in that order: wp>power>surge>crit>endurance). That way I could rely on the tank stance for survivability and damage stats for damage dealing.

All opinions and tips are welcome as I'm still relatively new to the class.
I made a video from my 31/0/10 build (plus showing build tree). It's a series and I'll add more build videos the next days, too.

Here we go:
http://www.youtube.com/user/EvilSoftGaming

Would appreciate any any subcriptions, thoughts and opinions - so please leave a comment there. Thanks.
Evilbone & Evilsoft
PvP-Shadow (T3-M4) PvP-Assassin (Jar'kai Sword)
<< EvilSoftGaming [ Youtube PvP Channel ] >>