Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How much Power is too much power?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sentinel / Marauder
How much Power is too much power?

LordPeppermint
08.14.2012 , 07:52 AM | #11
THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH POWER. BWAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHahHHAHHHAHAHHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHHAH HAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHHAHAH HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHHAHHAHAHHAHA HHAH.

Omophorus
08.14.2012 , 08:39 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Radethehybrid View Post
As far as anni goes, there can't really be "too much" power. Power is the only stat without diminishing returns and as long as you're above 1500 strength, it should be what you augment for, etc. However, you still want to keep your caps. Crit cap for anni only needs to be at around a 159 rating. Any more than that is overkill. Surge and accuracy are the same as any class. 75% and 110%. As long as you're within those caps, you should be fine.
You're right about one thing... in a vacuum, there's no such thing as "too much" Power, and it doesn't have diminishing returns at all. A vacuum isn't in game, and Power is not a top priority stat, though it is one to make an effort to obtain in abundance.

I can't think of any currently feasible in-game situation where you'd augment for Power, honestly, because the DR curve of STR's impact on Crit Rating is so gentle. It's not like you hit 1500 and it dives off a cliff. The ability to "double dip" on STR gains via Unnatural Might + Mark of Power slims the gap in contribution to bonus damage, and given that the difference is .02 bonus damage per stat point, the impact of STR on Crit Rating would have to be near zero to be irrelevant.

Next, I don't have the slightest clue where you're pulling 159 Crit Rating as "ideal" from. If you're going to throw out such a precise number, you'd better have a bunch of math, simulation, and/or a massive (hundreds to thousands of samples) in-game parse library with the data to back that statement up. More than ~275 rating (~10% Crit gain from Crit Rating) is probably less than ideal for any spec for PVE, as the DR curve is beginning to flatten out somewhat by that point. All 3 specs rely on non-automatic crits for significant portions of their damage, and I haven't parsed myself extensively enough on all 3 specs under similar conditions to state with any certainty where I think I would target my Crit Rating on any of the 3 (heavily dependent on percentage breakdown of damage per skill given current gear and ability to implement a correct priority system).

Next, 75% is a bad number to use for Surge, because there's no mention of whether Legacy companion buff is accounted for. Rating is the proper frame of reference, and 250-300 rating is the "money" spot. The first 200 points of Surge are the most impactful, the next 50 are still highly valuable, and the last 50 are worth pursuing as your overall gear level increases (the number of slots that need to be "burned" to reach 100% base Accuracy decreases).

Lastly, when you say 110% Accuracy, I really hope you're talking Special Accuracy, which you make no mention of.

Revearith
08.14.2012 , 09:07 AM | #13
Optimization complete!

Buffed I'm sitting at 1698 strength

611.2 bonus damage
30.66Crit
76.88 Surge

Playing with the Vindicator's Set Bonus in 33/8/0 I'm hitting everyone hard and it effects the dots, so when charging(say I get 3 stacks of DS and rupture on a target and charge another) it does an extra 190 damage for DS and an extra 50-60 for rupture dots.

I might grind out another set for pure le smash so 0 Crit: Surge > Power > Accuracy.

And see how much surge I can squeeze in to make smashes hit harder (hopefully by 1.3k-1.5k)

Anyone specialize in Le Smash and has maximum Surge? Any input would be helpful

Megatfx
08.14.2012 , 09:49 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Revearith View Post
Optimization complete!

611.2 bonus damage
30.66Crit
76.88 Surge

Playing with the Vindicator's Set Bonus in 33/8/0 I'm hitting everyone hard and it effects the dots, so when charging(say I get 3 stacks of DS and rupture on a target and charge another) it does an extra 190 damage for DS and an extra 50-60 for rupture dots.

I might grind out another set for pure le smash so 0 Crit: Surge > Power > Accuracy.

And see how much surge I can squeeze in to make smashes hit harder (hopefully by 1.3k-1.5k)

Your optimization is far from complete, your end stats should look like this fully buffed (Minus Stim, character builder doesn't have an option I can find for it)

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/characte...6-527b62574fe8

For tips and tricks on doing the above go look at my reply in this thread:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=520139

Revearith
08.15.2012 , 09:49 AM | #15
I failed to mention that this was for PvP. and that ask mr.robot link just gives me an error

Zez-Kai-Ell
08.15.2012 , 11:22 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Megatfx View Post
Your optimization is far from complete, your end stats should look like this fully buffed (Minus Stim, character builder doesn't have an option I can find for it)

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/characte...6-527b62574fe8

For tips and tricks on doing the above go look at my reply in this thread:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=520139

that status seem very good but isn't he surge rate too high? almost everyone say that 75% should be the max to get, is just a doubt i have .

Megatfx
08.15.2012 , 01:14 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Zez-Kai-Ell View Post
that status seem very good but isn't he surge rate too high? almost everyone say that 75% should be the max to get, is just a doubt i have .
I get 1% surge from having a companion at 10k affection. Most of the power enhancements have power/accuracy or power/surge. I chose Power/Surge

Bigdaddyjug
08.15.2012 , 04:35 PM | #18
Mega, I read your response in the other thread involving using moddable gear and ripping the mods out of the Vindicator gear. Won't this leave you without a set bonus until you have 4 pieces of the War Hero Vindicator's gear? Do you just deal with that because you'll end up with a better set bonus in the end?
The Empire sells an ugly truth; the Republic sells a pretty lie. I hate being lied to.

DarkkLoki
08.17.2012 , 09:29 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Bigdaddyjug View Post
Mega, I read your response in the other thread involving using moddable gear and ripping the mods out of the Vindicator gear. Won't this leave you without a set bonus until you have 4 pieces of the War Hero Vindicator's gear? Do you just deal with that because you'll end up with a better set bonus in the end?
I was one of the lucky ones that bought all the Weaponmaster stuff first.......

However, and this may be just me, but I can not fathom the time sink to get all the money and time to get the money to buy the mods and rip them , etc.

I know you can do dailies and all that, but by the time I get home from work, walk the dogs, eat dinner, or go to happy hour... see a movie.... etc, I get a couple hours at best... it looks like I will be getting vindicator gear sometime in 2014. lol.

hyuplee
08.22.2012 , 09:22 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Revearith View Post
Optimization complete!

611.2 bonus damage
30.66Crit
76.88 Surge

What expertise are you running with? that's the most important stuff.

Lordoss - Cake is Real