Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Ninety Seven Percent

Magdalane
08.26.2012 , 11:05 AM | #111
I wonder if some cereal company has any idea how much product they'd sell if they called it "Lightsaber Puffs"?
Love is the strongest magic of them all.

irishfino
08.26.2012 , 03:55 PM | #112
Quote: Originally Posted by kabeone View Post
Poor Vette.
Teeheee.
Quote: Originally Posted by Adwynyth View Post
Can I change my answer to [Grind Quinn into a fine paste and sell to Lightsaber Puffs factory as filler]?
You want Jaesa to eat me? That's naughty.
Back to your cage, Quinn!
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Grind Quinn but leave the Captain alone.
Finally, someone on my side.
You're the same person...
That would make things difficult...
Yes. Yes it would.
Quote: Originally Posted by Magdalane View Post
I wonder if some cereal company has any idea how much product they'd sell if they called it "Lightsaber Puffs"?
I'd buy the hell out of those!
Jaesa, what the heck dude!?
I like cereal...

So meta... Thanks for reading everyone!
I'll probably die if you group with me, but I'll go out with both lightsabers drawn stabbing someone in the face. Probably you, but it's cool. Forever Shenanigans!!

irishfino
08.26.2012 , 03:58 PM | #113
The bridge was his second home. The place he felt most at ease and comfortable during his working hours. This would be the perfect place to speak with the Captain. He considered it his territory and would feel a bit safer speaking with the one person he avoided most. Syla sought him out on the bridge for those reasons. That and dealing with a Captain who would just as soon faint as he would talk to her grated her nerves on the best of days. She realized, of course, that she had put that fear in him, but he deserved it. At the time, anyway.

“Captain, may I have a word with you?” Syla asked evenly. She stood in the doorway as non-threateningly as possible, which is rather hard for any Sith to do let alone the Wrath, but she tried.

He stiffened nervously and turned his attention from the six month engine report to the Sith Lord in question.

“Of course, my Lord,” he said, bowing slightly.

“Jaesa has informed me that you have invited her to a military formal,” she said calmly.

“This is true, my Lord.”

“Is this invitation extended to the entire crew?”

“I’m sure arrangements can be made with Major Ovech,” he said agreeably.

“When was I going to be informed of this?”

“I submitted my request for personal time three weeks ago, my Lord. You approved it within two days.”

“Your trip to Tatooine was not included in that request,” she said evenly.

“That was Emergency Personal Leave, my Lord. I submitted it as such and gave twelve hours’ notice of my imminent departure,” he said stiffly.

“You took Jaesa with you on that trip as well.”

“I assumed she cleared that with you, my Lord.”

“She did,” she nodded.

He tilted his head to the side in thought. She was obviously getting at something. “Are you questioning my relationship with Miss Jaesa?”

“Yes,” she said firmly.

“I am uncomfortable with this line of questioning, my Lord,” he said stiffly.

“I’m not here to ascertain your comfort level, Captain,” she said firmly. “What are you intentions with my apprentice?”

He stared at her for a long moment. He wasn’t sure himself. He liked Jaesa. He shared things with her he wouldn’t share with anyone. He felt oddly comfortable around her. She had literally made her way into his head. What was she to him exactly?

“Captain?” Syla asked impatiently.

“Have you discussed this with Miss Jaesa?” he asked carefully.

“I am asking you of your intentions, Quinn.”

“I consider her a friend, my Lord.”

“If your intentions are only friendship, why did you invite her to such an event?” Syla asked evenly.

The Captain tilted his head to the side again. There was the heart of her questioning. She obviously thought he was luring Jaesa into a romantic situation and sought to protect her apprentice.

“I was given the option of bringing a companion, I selected Miss Jaesa. I am unsure of what the issue is, my Lord,” he said stiffly. He shifted his feet to relieve some of the tension building within him. The conversation had been going on for several minutes now and he was reaching his limit. If Syla noticed it, she didn’t care. “I should return to my duties, my Lord.”

Syla narrowed her eyes at him. She couldn’t tell if he was more uncomfortable with her questions or with her being in the room. Probably a combination of the two. He shifted again and tugged his collar. Limit reached.

“Contact Ovech and make arrangements for the entire crew to attend,” she said evenly.

“Yes, my Lord,” he said, bowing a bit gracelessly.

Syla headed from the bridge straight to the medical bay where Jaesa spent most of her days meditating. She knocked lightly on the frame.

“Jaesa?” Syla asked quietly.

The woman on the floor broke her trance and turned her head to the door. “Hello Master,” she said happily. “What can I do for you?”

“What is your relationship with Captain Quinn?” Syla asked gently.

“He’s my friend,” Jaesa replied without pause. “Why?”

“He’s not… making any moves on you is he?”

“’Making moves’? What does that mean?”

“Do we need to have the talk again?” Syla asked wryly.

Jaesa blushed furiously. “No, please no,” she insisted.

“I think we do,” Syla said lightly. “You see, when a man likes a woman…”

Jaesa slapped a palm to her forehead. This had to be what hell was like.

Notes:
Spoiler
I'll probably die if you group with me, but I'll go out with both lightsabers drawn stabbing someone in the face. Probably you, but it's cool. Forever Shenanigans!!

ragnnerok
08.26.2012 , 05:05 PM | #114
[QUOTE=irishfino;5088823]

Jaesa blushed furiously. “No, please no,” she insisted.

“I think we do,” Syla said lightly. “You see, when a man likes a woman…”

Jaesa slapped a palm to her forehead. This had to be what hell was like.

No just parental guidance

Vesaniae
08.26.2012 , 05:52 PM | #115
Quote: Originally Posted by irishfino View Post
This one turned out rather dialogue heavy.
Nothing wrong with that! Of course, Force knows I'd be the last person to take issue with an excess of dialogue...

I'm very interested to see what happens next. The plot thickens!
There's always lightning.

irishfino
08.27.2012 , 10:00 AM | #116
Quote: Originally Posted by ragnnerok View Post
No just parental guidance
A Sith giving "The Talk"? I don't know if I could trust their version... It would be infinity times better (or worse... depending) than the Jedi version... lol

Quote: Originally Posted by Vesaniae View Post
Nothing wrong with that! Of course, Force knows I'd be the last person to take issue with an excess of dialogue...

I'm very interested to see what happens next. The plot thickens!
I'm a dialogue writer. Always have been. Maybe I'll just start calling myself Character Driven. Sounds better than "I write conversations better than details". :P

EDIT: Forgot to thank everyone for reading!

irishfino
08.27.2012 , 10:03 AM | #117
Almost 6000 views!! In celebration, here's a longer piece. Just for you. All of you. But not you. Just you.

The Sith version of “The Talk” and the Jedi version of “The Talk” were on opposite ends of the spectrum. One preached “Don’t do it” while the other preached “Do it all the time. Everywhere. Here’s a book on positions!”

“And that’s only after the fourth or fifth date,” Syla explained. “Now, after that you can do all kinds of stuff!”

“Master,” Jaesa mumbled unhappily. “For the love of the Force, stop. I know about sex and dating. Please, for the love of the Force, stop.”

“Oh, fine. I made up half that stuff anyway,” Syla huffed. “What do you and the Captain do in here, anyway?”

“We talk.”

Syla raised a skeptical brow and put her hands on her hips. “I’m serious, Jaesa.”

“I am, too,” Jaesa said softly, but firmly. “Does it bother you?”

Syla never kept their failed romance a secret or her use of Pierce for relief. She was the one to halt their romance, not him. She had no hard feelings or any feelings. Or so she convinced herself. And it worked for a time, until the Sith in the Captain came marching forth, Force a-blazing, and claimed her mouth possessively.

“It does bother you, doesn’t it?” Jaesa asked calmly.

Syla snapped from her thoughts. “No.”

“That wasn’t very convincing,” Jaesa said blandly.

“Do you want me to shoot lightning or something?” Syla asked crossly.

“I don’t see how lightning would make you more convincing.”

“It’d make you stop asking stupid questions.”

“Now we both know that’s just not true,” Jaesa said lightly.

Syla barked a laugh. “Let me know if he tries anything. I’ll make him think the Transponder Station was a vacation in Kaas City.”

“I think one curse on my genitals was enough, don’t you?” Quinn asked casually.

Syla turned to face him. Jaesa peeked around Syla’s legs. On visual inspection, it was Quinn and not the Captain currently in control. He had his hands stuffed in his pockets and that annoying semi-smirk he always kept on his face. Quinn noticed her peeking and gave her a wry smile. She quickly stood and dusted herself off. She stood just behind Syla just in case.

“I wouldn’t bother with a curse, I would slice them clean off,” Syla said offhandedly.

“That’s not very nice,” he responded blandly.

“I never claimed to be nice.”

“Did you need something, Quinn?” Jaesa asked.

“Two things,” he said, holding up two fingers. “First, Lord Syla, please do not harass the Captain during his shift.” He put down his middle finger and held up his index. “Two, Miss Jaesa, do you know how to dance?”

“That was far from harassment,” Syla said angrily.

“We’re not on you now,” he said dismissively. “Miss Jaesa. Dancing, do you know how?”

Syla bristled. Yes, this Quinn certainly liked pushing her buttons. Better not give him the satisfaction of seeing her affected by his antics. She cleared her face of emotions. He really wasn’t focusing on her, but, rather, the woman behind her.

“Don’t harass my apprentice,” Syla said in warning.

“I didn’t corner her in the med bay and ask her, unlike some people,” he shot back snappily.

“Watch your tone.”

Quinn rolled his eyes. “I have no quarrel with you,” he sighed. “Jaesa, you haven’t answered my question.”

“No, I don’t know how to dance,” she answered quietly.

Quinn clapped his hands together and said, “Excellent. I shall teach you. I’ll be back in an hour.” Then he turned to leave.

“Wait,” Jaesa said. He stopped, but did not turn to face her. “Will it be you or the Captain?”

He grinned at her over his shoulder. “We’re the same person.” And he left.

“That wasn’t very helpful,” Jaesa muttered.

“Watch yourself around him,” Syla said quietly.

“The Captain wouldn’t hurt me,” Jaesa said firmly. “Excuse me, Master, I should go prepare.”

Syla watched Jaesa leave quietly. It wasn’t the Captain that worried her. It was this alternate version of him that unnerved her.

Quinn was quite graceful and sure in his movements. He was endlessly patient and happy to repeat himself several times while Jaesa adjusted herself accordingly. Jaesa was a quick learner, which helped matters on both ends. Fewer frayed nerves and squished toes. It also probably helped that Barnabus was watching the two glide around the galley. Syla had asked him to watch the pair, knowing the old man could pull Quinn away in an argument rather quickly. It was something that bothered Barnabus. He could barely speak to his grandson. He wanted so desperately just to talk to him.

“You’re a fast learner, Miss Jaesa,” Barnabus said happily.

“Yes,” she said breathlessly as Quinn spun her out then curled her back into his chest. “It helps to have a great teacher.”

“I’m sure it does,” Quinn murmured.

“I taught Quinn how to dance,” Barnabus said proudly. “It was rather awkward for him for a time.” He smiled fondly at the memory.

“I haven’t forgiven you, Barnabus,” Quinn said evenly. “But,” he paused and spun Jaesa, “I am beginning to understand.”

“That’s all I can ask,” Barnabus said quietly.

“I’m what keeps you alive,” Quinn said calmly.

“Yes.”

“We’ll discuss this later,” Quinn said firmly.

Jaesa gave him an imploring look which he handedly ignored.

“Can I talk to the Captain?” she asked quietly.

“We’re the same person,” he murmured.

“You are not. You’ve made that distinction several times.”

Quinn gave her an unreadable expression. “I thought you of all people –” he stopped himself with great effort. “Never mind.”

“What?”

“Nothing,” he said quietly, closing his eyes. When he opened them again his eyes were back to blue.

“What was he saying?” Jaesa asked insistently.

“I,” he emphasized, “was saying nothing,” he finished stiffly.

Jaesa forcibly stopped their dance and pushed away from him. He let her go and dropped his arms to his sides.

“You thought I of all people should what?” she asked firmly.

“Nothing, Jaesa,” he said quietly, shaking his head. “Nothing.”

He turned on his heel and left without another word. Jaesa moved to follow him when Barnabus cleared his throat rather loudly. She turned to him with a frown that turned to a small smile when he patted the seat next to him. When she sat down next to him, he placed a fortifying hand on her shoulder.

“Here’s what he meant to say, dear: the Captain and Quinn are the same person. He is Captain Malavai Quinn. Whatever aspects of the Captain you see in Quinn, those are things he normally wouldn’t express as the Captain. You must look at the whole person, not just the parts.”

“I don’t understand,” Jaesa said quietly.

“It’s painful to him to admit he’s not fully in control of himself. He switches back and forth between the two versions of himself for balance. He’s found some and is slowly reabsorbing Quinn back into himself. But, instead of locking him away, he’s accepting the change. He thought you understood.”

“I don’t understand,” she admitted quietly.

“I’ll let you in on a secret,” he said quietly. Jaesa listened quietly while playing with her fingers. “He doesn’t either.”

Jaesa stared at her fingers for a long time. Together, they made a fist strong enough to break bones. Separate, they were still strong, but it was as a whole being did they find meaning and true strength. Barnabus patted her shoulder then excused himself to bed. She bid him goodnight and waited until his cane stopped clanging on the floor to leave the area and head to the Captain’s quarters.

It didn’t take long for her to arrive and his door was open. He was pacing the floor, his hands clasped behind his back.

“Captain?” she asked softly.

He stopped his pacing and stared at her side long. “Do you need something, Miss Jaesa?”

“Are you alright?”

“No and I wish to be alone.”

“Then why is your door open?” she asked evenly.

“I have no idea,” he said unconvincingly. “Shall I ask the door why it is open?”

“Why are you being like this?”

“Take the hint and leave,” he said gruffly.

“You can talk to me,” she said gently.

He sighed and shook his head. How could he talk to her about something he was unsure of himself. She stepped into the room and reached his side in a few quick steps.

“Is my… relationship with you becoming… inappropriate?” he asked her quietly, keeping his eyes focused on his desk.

“That depends on what inappropriate means,” she said casually.

He turned to face her, his face that insufferably passive mask. “I like you, Jaesa,” he said quietly. “But I am… conflicted.”

“About what?” she asked gently.

“I suffer from frequent night terrors, I can barely be in the same room as Lord Syla, and I’m damaged in more ways than one. On top of that, my entire life has been a lie,” he muttered pathetically. “My friendship with you has been the only stability I have been able to find. I cannot risk it becoming inappropriate or I will have to sever our connection.” He paused and swallowed. “Please, Jaesa, tell me: is this becoming inappropriate?”

“No,” Jaesa said sincerely. “It is not.”

“Will you let me know if it does?”

“Of course,” she said quietly. “Anything for a friend.”

He smiled then, his face lighting up handsomely. “Thank you.”

“Anything for a friend,” she repeated.

She pulled him into a gentle hug and was pleased to find him relaxed enough to hug her back. She didn’t have the heart to tell him she was lying through her teeth.

bright_ephemera
08.27.2012 , 10:51 AM | #118
Quote: Originally Posted by irishfino View Post
“That wasn’t very convincing,” Jaesa said blandly.

“Do you want me to shoot lightning or something?” Syla asked crossly.

“I don’t see how lightning would make you more convincing.”

“It’d make you stop asking stupid questions.”
I do not have enough love to give this exchange.
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 2000+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

greyjedibp
08.27.2012 , 12:51 PM | #119
I love dark verson of Quinn. He very funny and he disrespect his lord and he isn't by the book can of guy.

Also I love how Quinn has two differnt person in one named "Caption" and the "Quinn" you don't which one your get.

Vesaniae
08.27.2012 , 01:02 PM | #120
I love how you use Sith!Quinn to really show Quinn's capacity for being such a smug bastard.

...and yet he's somehow adorable despite his inherent jerkishness.
There's always lightning.