Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Ninety Seven Percent

irishfino
08.24.2012 , 02:29 PM | #101
One hundred posts and over 5000 views! Holy bananas that's awesome!

Warning: This bit alludes to an act of sexual violence. There are no hard details, just broad statements, but I have spoiler tagged it.

Captain Malavai Quinn never ran from a fight. This was different. Completely different. At least that’s what he told himself as he scampered up the ramp as regally as possible. It was a strategic retreat from the forces gathering just outside the ship. He busied himself with the consoles on the bridge, searched for militarily significant battlegrounds to send the Wrath to, and otherwise kept his mind occupied. Jaesa was left to explain what she understood to the crew with Barnabus tastefully interjecting random nonsense as she started to divulge information she should leave well enough alone.

Syla welcomed Barnabus to the ship with open arms. If Jaesa could keep her little pet projects closer to home, Syla would have less to worry about. Even if her pet project included one Captain Quinn’s relatives. Barnabus was annoying, but he would annoy Quinn to hell and back and that was reason enough to keep him onboard.

When Jaesa was finished with her briefing, she led Barnabus to the crew bunks. The old man toddled after her with a hunch in his back and a cane in his hand, but he kept pace well enough for someone who had been dying recently.

“You can have this bunk here,” Jaesa said gently, placing his small bag of belongings near the bottom bunk across from hers.

“Does all the crew sleep here?” he asked. He sat down on his new bunk and sighed with relief. Definitely more comfortable than his old bed.

“My Master has her own quarters near the holoterminal. Captain Quinn has his own quarters as well. Vette, Pierce, and I sleep in the bunks here and Broonmark, who you’ll meet later, usually stays to himself in the cargo bay.”

“’Broonmark’? That’s a strange name.”

“He’s a Talz. I can’t understand a word he says, but he’s rather nice.”

“A Talz?” he asked in astonishment. “Amazing! I thought they never left Hoth.”

“He’s faithful to ‘Sith Clan’, meaning my Master, Lord Syla. She helped him get revenge and cleanse his clan.”

“Interesting, interesting! Tell me about the rest of the crew, won’t you?”

“Of course,” she said happily.

They talked late into the night.

Spoiler

As glad for death as he was, he still woke up gasping and sick to his stomach. He sat up slowly, fearing he would vomit if he moved too fast.

“Bad dream?” a voice asked quietly.

He shouted in surprise and moved as far away from it as he could. He stayed that way for a few seconds before his stomach reeled. He scrambled from the bed, tossing his covers and nearly knocking the owner of the voice over as he ran to his refresher. He vomited into the waste collection bowl for a few, long, painful moments before there was nothing left.

“Are you alright, lad?” Barnabus asked, peeking around the corner.

“Get out,” Quinn muttered into the bowl.

“Everything alright?” Barnabus asked gently.

“Get out!” Quinn shouted. He turned to face Barnabus, his lips curled in a snarl. The bitter taste in his mouth helped fuel his anger.

“I’ll send in Jaesa,” Barnabus said quietly, then disappeared.

Damn it. Damn it. Damn it! Quinn shuddered and heaved again. He wanted so badly to purge the taint within.
I'll probably die if you group with me, but I'll go out with both lightsabers drawn stabbing someone in the face. Probably you, but it's cool. Forever Shenanigans!!

bright_ephemera
08.24.2012 , 02:34 PM | #102
Quote: Originally Posted by Reil View Post
Consider also that if I were in this position I wouldn't be sitting back wondering why Quinn had gone off deck without completing the weekly field-day roster or his 30 minutes of intense parade rest. I'd want answers.
You know, this is actually on Quinn's to-do list every day. The 30 minutes of intense parade rest, that is. That's fantastic.
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 2000+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

irishfino
08.24.2012 , 04:26 PM | #103
When Jaesa tried to speak with him, he locked himself in his refresher and refused to leave. He was fine and just wanted some privacy, he told her. He waited for an hour after she announced she was leaving to vacate the refresher. He would not sleep for the rest of the night. He noticed, rather happily, that Barnabus had made himself scarce as well. How had he gotten into his quarters? Why was he there watching over him in the first place? It would be better if he avoided them all for a while. Get his head on mostly straight. Start taking his medications again. Reach some sort of mental balance while he glued himself back together.

He was mostly successful with avoiding Jaesa and Barnabus. The rest of the crew avoided him as per usual, with Syla speaking to him on occasion about strategy. Barnabus was slow and easy to dodge and walk quickly away from (he didn’t run thank you very much). Jaesa was a bit harder to avoid because of her persistent nature, but Barnabus often pulled her away to tell her some story about something or other that no one really cared about. For once, the Captain was thankful for Barnabus’ stories.

Everything was fine for a few days until Jaesa cornered him on the bridge one morning. With the rest of the crew pummeling down some resistance forces on Balmorra at the behest of Darth Lachris and Barnabus sleeping, he had no escape.

“You haven’t visited the medical bay in a while, Captain. Is everything alright?” Jaesa asked gently.

“I have been busy with other things, Miss Wilsaam,” he said stiffly.

“’Miss Wilsaam’? Are you okay?”

“I am on duty, Miss Wilsaam. I do not discuss my personal life while on duty.”

“Is this because I insisted on bringing Barnabus with us?”

“Miss Wilsaam, I do not discuss personal matters while on duty. Please desist with this line of questioning and resume your duties.”

He stayed hunched over his console, refusing to meet her curious gaze. She walked over to him, her curiosity getting the better of her. She laid a gentle hand on his shoulder then jumped as he swiftly turned and backed away from her. He kept his eyes downcast.

“What is wrong with you?” she demanded.

“I am on duty,” he said stiffly. He moved around her and busied himself with another console.

“Captain, you can talk to me,” she said softly.

“Not about this. Please resume your normal routine.”

Jaesa sighed quietly. She’d have to catch him in the last minutes of his shift or he would disappear into his quarters until the start of his next shift.

“Good day, Miss Wilsaam,” he said politely as she left the bridge.

But it wasn’t a good day. Jaesa was beside herself with worry. She obviously had insulted him in some way. She couldn’t very well leave Barnabus to die even with the newly revealed past he and the Captain shared. Family was important to her. And Barnabus was awfully nice to her. She sighed loudly and hopped on to one of the beds in the medical bay. She couldn’t calm her mind like this. She fretted with her hands when she heard someone clear their throat. She looked up through her lashes, though she already knew who was there.

“I have some organizing I need to do,” the Captain said stiffly. “I would prefer to do so alone.”

“You had a dream,” she stated. “Barnabus told me you woke up, freaked out, and vomited.”

“Miss Wilsaam, I would prefer to be alone while I organize,” he said stoically.

“He said you were talking in your sleep. Saying ‘no, no, don’t do it, no’ over and over again.”

“Get out,” he said slowly.

Her head shot up. He was staring at the far wall, his face that annoying mask of indifference.

“I’m not leaving until you tell me what’s bothering you,” she said testily.

He inhaled a calming breath. It wasn’t time. It would never be time to share this dream with her. With anyone.

“I won’t hate you,” she said softly.

“Yes,” he said quietly. “Yes, you will.”

“I know what you dreamed of.”

He flicked his eyes to hers with disbelief.

“It’s… it’s my dream,” she admitted quietly.

“What?” he asked, his voice strangled.

“You’re not the only one I’ve dreamt of like that,” she explained gently.

She hung her head and began fidgeting with her fingers again. He moved slowly into the room. When she didn’t try to run, he stopped in front of her. He slipped off his gloves and placed them in his pocket. With slow determination, he placed his hands atop hers to stop her movements. She looked up at him, silent tears streaming down her face. At once he understood. She leaned forward and pressed herself into his chest. He raised his arms and brought them around her form in a loose hug. She wrapped her arms around his waist and forcibly brought him closer.

“I’m sorry that happened to you,” he said quietly.

“It’s okay,” she mumbled into his chest.

"No," he said softly, "it most certainly is not."

He held her tighter as she began sobbing openly. He was never good at comforting a distressed person, but he found himself trying his damnedest to let her know she wasn’t alone.
I'll probably die if you group with me, but I'll go out with both lightsabers drawn stabbing someone in the face. Probably you, but it's cool. Forever Shenanigans!!

bright_ephemera
08.24.2012 , 04:52 PM | #104
Quote: Originally Posted by irishfino View Post
He held her tighter as she began sobbing openly. He was never good at comforting a distressed person, but he found himself trying his damnedest to let her know she wasn’t alone.
Aw.

Also, wow, hey, make that whole dream a little more wrenching, why don't you.
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 2000+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

kabeone
08.24.2012 , 05:07 PM | #105
I can't read this thread with my eyes closed but I've been trying. guh

irishfino
08.25.2012 , 08:54 PM | #106
Quote: Originally Posted by bright_ephemera View Post
Aw.

Also, wow, hey, make that whole dream a little more wrenching, why don't you.
Just wrenching enough.

Quote: Originally Posted by kabeone View Post
I can't read this thread with my eyes closed but I've been trying. guh
Aww, it'll get better. I promise.

Thanks for reading, everyone!

irishfino
08.25.2012 , 08:59 PM | #107
Jaesa and the Captain didn’t sleep that night. They stayed in the medical bay trading harmless stories: her of her childhood and him of his childhood how he had originally remembered it. They were interrupted when the Captain’s morning alarm chirped on his datapad. He excused himself to get ready for the day when he found himself on the receiving end of a hug. He tried to hug her back as non-awkwardly as possible, but he was awkward in such situations. Jaesa took it in stride and released him. He offered her a small smile and left to complete his morning routine. After he left, Jaesa went about her own routine, greeting Vette as she sat down to eat a bowl of her favorite cereal: Lightsaber Puffs.

“So, have you and Captain Cowlick kissed yet?” Vette asked nonchalantly.

Jaesa spat out her spoonful of cereal, nearly covering the Twi’lek across from her with milk and bits of cereal.

“Oh my god, Vette, what the hell?” Jaesa asked in a strained whisper. Grabbing a napkin, she wiped her face then the table clean.

“I’ve seen you makin’ the googly eyes when you think no one is watching,” Vette teased.

“It’s not like that,” Jaesa muttered, shoving a spoonful of cereal into her mouth. Damn nosy Vette.

“And you two spent the night in the medical bay.”

“I had a bad dream,” she said quietly.

“And Captain Cowlick put on his Comforting pants?”

“It’s ‘Captain Quinn’, Vette,” the Captain said stiffly, taking a seat next to Jaesa. He busied himself with new field reports and a ration bar, largely ignoring Vette’s penetrating gaze.

“I’ve never seen you eat before,” Vette said with astonishment.

“Contrary to popular belief, I am human,” he said blandly.

“No, that implies you have emotions and feel guilt over, say, murdering an innocent Twi’lek in a Cantina in a fit of rage,” she said sarcastically.

“Mm,” he murmured.

“That’s it?” Vette demanded. “You murder one of my people and it’s just another day for you?”

“It was a personal matter,” he said stiffly. “I suggest you drop the subject.”

Vette’s cheeks turned a light purple as blood rushed to her cheeks. Arrogant son of a b*tch. Who the hell did he think he was? She flicked her eyes to Jaesa who was remaining surprisingly quiet and mesmerized by her bowl of cereal. She hated conflict. Silly Jedi. Former Jedi. Whatever.

“I think you should explain yourself,” Vette said testily, crossing her arms.

The Captain flicked his eyes to hers for a brief moment before refocusing on his datapad.

“No,” he said firmly.

“Vette, you should let it go,” Jaesa said quietly.

“Not letting this go. He murdered one of my people in cold blood,” Vette said resolutely.

“Vette, you should really let it go,” Jaesa said a bit more firmly.

“Shut up, Jaesa,” Vette said angrily.

Jaesa shrugged and went back to eating. Vette obviously couldn’t sense it. A blind, deaf, lobotomized coma patient* could probably feel it. Vette grew a bit suspicious when Jaesa calmly went back to eating. Usually, she’d try to Jedi the situation and get everyone involved to calm down. She didn’t feel it until she felt eyes boring into her skull. She looked to find the strangely orange gaze of the Captain focused on her.

“What the hell?” Vette gasped.

“Hello, Vette,” Quinn said lightly. “How are you?”

“What is going on?” Vette asked curiously.

Quinn grinned at her. He liked surprising people like this. Vette continued to stare. Only Sith had orange eyes. Captain Cowlick – Quinn. Captain Quinn always had blue eyes. Shifty blue eyes, but blue eyes.

“You should learn to let things go,” he smirked. “Too much stress is bad for you.”

“Okay, seriously, what the hell?”

“Vette, this is Quinn,” Jaesa said calmly. “Quinn, be nice.”

“You insult me, madam, I am always nice,” he grinned, flashing Jaesa his teeth. She rolled her eyes and finished eating.

“Why did you just introduce me to the Captain?” Vette asked, her voice practically dripping with curiosity.

“I’m not the Captain,” Quinn explained. At Vette’s confused look, he sighed and explained the differences between the two. By the end of it, Vette was more confused than ever.

“I think I need to lie down,” Vette muttered as she scooted from the seating.

Quinn nodded at her then jumped when Jaesa pinched his side.

“I wish you would stop doing that!” she whispered angrily.

“I wish you would keep doing that,” he purred suggestively.

She grabbed a chuck of skin under his ribs and twisted. He jumped and shouted.

“Fine, fine, fine,” he muttered, rubbing his side.

“Why did you switch?” she demanded quietly.

“Easier to explain. He wasn’t the one to do it, so he doesn’t remember it well. It’s rather fuzzy.”

“Well, I don’t like it,” she mumbled unhappily.

“Let me make it up to you,” he said gently. At her cross look, he threw up his hands. “Nothing untoward, I assure you!” She fixed him with a hard stare and kept her pinching hand at the ready. “Major Ovech is throwing an overly elaborate sixty-fifth birthday party for himself aboard the Dreadnaught he commands. It’s not for another week yet, but would you accompany me?”

“Is this you or the Captain asking?” she asked testily.

“We’re the same person,” he sighed. He jumped when she pinched him again. “Do stop that!”

She huffed and crossed her arms. Quinn smirked, slipped his arm behind her shoulders and leaned in. She sat stiffly as his lips stopped next to her ear.

“Would you accompany me to an oddly large birthday party for a sixty-five year old man?” he asked quietly.

Jaesa didn’t bother to suppress the shudder that shot down her spine. She nodded quietly.

“Excellent,” he said softly. He placed a small kiss behind her ear and made to leave. She glanced at him from the corner of her eye and noticed his eyes were back to their normal blue. He said nothing as he headed for the bridge to begin his shift. Jaesa watched him go. He was so strange.

Notes:

Spoiler

Adwynyth
08.25.2012 , 10:11 PM | #109
Quote: Originally Posted by irishfino View Post
Jaesa and the Captain didn’t sleep that night. ...(snip)
Can I change my answer to [Grind Quinn into a fine paste and sell to Lightsaber Puffs factory as filler]?

Tatile
08.26.2012 , 04:55 AM | #110
Quote: Originally Posted by Adwynyth View Post
Can I change my answer to [Grind Quinn into a fine paste and sell to Lightsaber Puffs factory as filler]?
Grind Quinn but leave the Captain alone.