Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Thinking of joining a pvp server

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Thinking of joining a pvp server

Cathest
08.01.2012 , 05:25 PM | #1
Mad a thread like this in another section but no replies, so hoping for more here

My legacy is on a Pve server, level 32
I have been getting into pvp and wanna join a pvp server, however that means starting all over basically, as I'll have no perks and etc...
So is swtor designed to just play on one server? Would any of you start over on a new server?

It I make a chat on a pvp server, will I be ok with just one toon? I'd miss out on the chapter 2 class buffs, other than that I should be okay right? Oh and presence since open world pvp

How is life on a pvp server? Is it annoying doing quests on like tattooine an do u get ganked by lvl 50s?
How does all that work? I see so many enemy factions on belsavis and etc, i imagine It to be hard to do even regular quests!

Thanks

BHunterBuffy
08.02.2012 , 02:13 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Cathest View Post
How is life on a pvp server? Is it annoying doing quests on like tattooine an do u get ganked by lvl 50s?
Your not wrong...
Merc - Launch Day Participant

Cathest
08.02.2012 , 04:26 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by BHunterBuffy View Post
Your not wrong...
Ikr
The jaws balloon datacron must be a trick to get
Whenever I'm there there are pubs and sith in the balloon
Bet it's frustrating as hell and just think u get to the crawler and a sith guy pulls u off it before u get the datacron...brutal

Scorpienne
08.02.2012 , 04:50 AM | #4
With the game going F2P in November, there might be a paid option for server transfer (I don't know this for certain, I'm speculating). You might want to wait and hang out on your PvE server and finish your levelling up process there and play a bunch of PvP matches and get familar with the PvP areas and hope to transfer in the fall.

Hate to leave those 32 levels behind...

Paige

Infalliable
08.02.2012 , 09:06 AM | #5
Honestly, I've not seen much difference. There are some places where you're likely to run into an opposing player but most faction quest areas are apart from one another.

Often, people will just pass by if they see you and gank squads have been pretty rare.

Cathest
08.02.2012 , 02:13 PM | #6
Lol I'm legacy lvl 32
Got 2 50s on each side and various other toons
Id mostly miss my perks

Lorcen
08.02.2012 , 05:29 PM | #7
Thats the whole fun of a PvP server guys! We should be promoting world PvP and not discouraging people from joining!?

No the ganking is minimal, when it is a problem you can just put a shout out and there will be players that can either help out or switch to their lvl 50 and get involved. It's a Galactic War and yes, come join the party! Usually on a planet, only the high lvl area will be crossfaction questing,so you can grab some lvls without being hassled unless you have a raid invasion. The areas are large enough to notify your faction and move on to other quests or put together a defense. The best part of a PvP server is the unity and people want to get involved and control the planet!

If you're worried about extra player aggro you could always role a stealth class or a character like a PT which will make republic players wish they were born imperial!

You're going to have a lot of fun!

Owsley
08.03.2012 , 10:03 AM | #8
I want to jump on this thread with a question.
Is PvP on a PvP server faction vs faction only or can you attack anyone?

I played UO years ago and their PvP was true openworld with red (criminals, evil, dark side,etc) attackable on sight. They also had guild alignments as to which guilds were friendly and which were at war. Anything like that in SWTOR?
"But war, organised war, is not a human instinct. It is a highly planned and co-operative form of theft."
Jacob Bronowski - The Ascent of Man

Fozziwig
08.03.2012 , 08:50 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Owsley View Post
I want to jump on this thread with a question.
Is PvP on a PvP server faction vs faction only or can you attack anyone?
It is faction vs faction only. You can duel people on your side, but that's it. For a month or two after launch there was a place on Tatooine called Outlaws Den where it was you or your party vs. everyone, but that was taken down quick and BioWare has been conspicuously silent about it ever since.

irishtim
08.04.2012 , 05:24 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Fozziwig View Post
It is faction vs faction only. You can duel people on your side, but that's it. For a month or two after launch there was a place on Tatooine called Outlaws Den where it was you or your party vs. everyone, but that was taken down quick and BioWare has been conspicuously silent about it ever since.
Err what? Outlaws Den still exists and it's still group v group PVP so people of the same faction can attack each other there

The only problem is finding people that are in there, but Outlaws Den still very much exists