Thinking of joining a pvp server

Cathest

Mad a thread like this in another section but no replies, so hoping for more here

My legacy is on a Pve server, level 32

I have been getting into pvp and wanna join a pvp server, however that means starting all over basically, as I'll have no perks and etc...

So is swtor designed to just play on one server? Would any of you start over on a new server?

It I make a chat on a pvp server, will I be ok with just one toon? I'd miss out on the chapter 2 class buffs, other than that I should be okay right? Oh and presence since open world pvp :(

How is life on a pvp server? Is it annoying doing quests on like tattooine an do u get ganked by lvl 50s?

How does all that work? I see so many enemy factions on belsavis and etc, i imagine It to be hard to do even regular quests!

Thanks

Your not wrong...

Ikr

The jaws balloon datacron must be a trick to get

Whenever I'm there there are pubs and sith in the balloon

Bet it's frustrating as hell and just think u get to the crawler and a sith guy pulls u off it before u get the datacron...brutal

With the game going F2P in November, there might be a paid option for server transfer (I don't know this for certain, I'm speculating). You might want to wait and hang out on your PvE server and finish your levelling up process there and play a bunch of PvP matches and get familar with the PvP areas and hope to transfer in the fall.

Hate to leave those 32 levels behind...

Paige

Honestly, I've not seen much difference. There are some places where you're likely to run into an opposing player but most faction quest areas are apart from one another.

Often, people will just pass by if they see you and gank squads have been pretty rare.

Thats the whole fun of a PvP server guys! We should be promoting world PvP and not discouraging people from joining!?

No the ganking is minimal, when it is a problem you can just put a shout out and there will be players that can either help out or switch to their lvl 50 and get involved. It's a Galactic War and yes, come join the party! Usually on a planet, only the high lvl area will be crossfaction questing,so you can grab some lvls without being hassled unless you have a raid invasion. The areas are large enough to notify your faction and move on to other quests or put together a defense. The best part of a PvP server is the unity and people want to get involved and control the planet!

If you're worried about extra player aggro you could always role a stealth class or a character like a PT which will make republic players wish they were born imperial! :D

You're going to have a lot of fun!

I want to jump on this thread with a question.

Is PvP on a PvP server faction vs faction only or can you attack anyone?

I played UO years ago and their PvP was true openworld with red (criminals, evil, dark side,etc) attackable on sight. They also had guild alignments as to which guilds were friendly and which were at war. Anything like that in SWTOR?

I want to jump on this thread with a question.

Is PvP on a PvP server faction vs faction only or can you attack anyone?

It is faction vs faction only. You can duel people on your side, but that's it. For a month or two after launch there was a place on Tatooine called Outlaws Den where it was you or your party vs. everyone, but that was taken down quick and BioWare has been conspicuously silent about it ever since.

It is faction vs faction only. You can duel people on your side, but that's it. For a month or two after launch there was a place on Tatooine called Outlaws Den where it was you or your party vs. everyone, but that was taken down quick and BioWare has been conspicuously silent about it ever since.

Err what? Outlaws Den still exists and it's still group v group PVP so people of the same faction can attack each other there

The only problem is finding people that are in there, but Outlaws Den still very much exists

Lol what? It was NEVER taken down. Bioware has been conspicuously silent about it, cos it never changed.

Why people would play on anything BUT PvP servers is a mystery to me, are they so fragile about being ganked by the enemy or whats up?

To the OP, sure starting a new Legacy might be a pain the butt, yet its the right thing to do:rak_03:

Why people would play on anything BUT PvP servers is a mystery to me, are they so fragile about being ganked by the enemy or whats up?

To the OP, sure starting a new Legacy might be a pain the butt, yet its the right thing to do:rak_03:

to me getting ganked is like finding a fly on your head. it's really nothing at all, but you want to squish it out of sheer irritation. Nothing fragile about it...just not a fan of flies on my head.

OP...PvP and PvP servers are different.

PvP = Player vs. Player

PvP server = gankfest

Swtor isn't as bad as many other games, but a PvP server is nowhere near the same thing as regular PvP. the first time you get harried and camped at your rez point you will understand. but if you are willing to deal with that to eventually be the predator yourself and revel in the sociopathic mentality that is ganks-r-us, then enjoy!

I do jest slightly....SWtOR really isn't that bad. but in all honesty, in my MMO experience, i tend to find PvP on a normal server just as good as PvP on a PvP server. and on a PvE server your ganked less. simple as that.

Edited by Elyx

• 5 months later...

thats not true it's still there it's still active I don't know why you'd say that ut yeah it's still same as ever

You feel that PvP is fun, and that is 1000% perfectly fine, but not everyone feels the way you do; nor should they have to. I can list a myriad of reasons why all players do not join PvP servers, but they fall into two basic categories:

1) they dislike PvP altogether

2) they are choosy as to how, what, where, when, and why they decide to engage in PvP

In either case, it is not about being fragile about being ganked, it's that PvP is not fun and playing a game should be fun.

Hopefully this answers your question.

Sounds like you know what a PVP server would be like already OP. I've played on 1 PVE and 2 PVP servers, and prefer PVP. You'll get ganked periodically but once you learn where that typically is common you can plan accordingly. I'm on my 10th toon and haven't had problems leveling, getting datacrons, etc. worth mentioning.

Players pass each other by more often than not. Gankers are usually 50s lurking in certain areas on Hoth and Tatooine, or weekend prime time when the wee kiddies play you might find a gank squad on those planets.

• 2 months later...
Ikr

The jaws balloon datacron must be a trick to get

Whenever I'm there there are pubs and sith in the balloon

Bet it's frustrating as hell and just think u get to the crawler and a sith guy pulls u off it before u get the datacron...brutal

On the other hand, as a knight/warrior you could wait until a imp/rep player is up there, and try to force leap that player (or another similar ability from another class) ;)

PVP servers have their own advantages, and getting ganked is something you'll learn to live with, but it doesn't happen that much (to me).

Edited by AnonJoen

Actually, the best open world pvp I'd ever experienced was on a PVE server with my Sith Marauder on Tatooine. I had accidently run afoul of a Republic outpost and was flagged for PVP and didn't feel like driving ALL the way back and waiting for 5 minutes for the flag to wear off. I was doing the mission "The Thing That Czerka Found," just minding my own business killing mobs when I get slammed by this Jedi Sentinel (of equal level to me) and his companion (Doc). Between the mobs and the sent, Vette and I were killed pretty handily.

So I rez, use the extra long stealth to hide behind a pillar and wait for the JK to attack a group of mobs and then counter attack. I take him out, mop up the mobs and immediately begin healing, putting my back against the wall as I knew the JK was about to try and exact revenge. Sure enough, he comes charging around the corner a few seconds later, and the true test of skill was upon us. After a hard fought victory, I once again heal and place my back against the wall. Sure enough, he comes charging around the corner again and once again the JK falls to my superior skill. This happens twice more until finally, he doesn't come back for more punishment. It was one of the coolest moments of my marauder, beating this JK into submission.

If open world PVP was always like this I'd play on a PVP server all the time. However, like others have said, it's a gankfest. Lvl 50s waiting for HMFPs or WZs to queue will roam Tatooine and Hoth just looking for a low level to gank. The sad part is, Hoth and Tat are already some of the most miserable planets in the game.

Edited by Jossajus