Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Tank Swaps are Unnecessary for Firebrand and Stormcaller.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
Tank Swaps are Unnecessary for Firebrand and Stormcaller.

bbare's Avatar


bbare
08.01.2012 , 11:42 AM | #1
As many know, on the Firebrand and Stormcaller fight, firebrand will cast a spell called "incinerate armor" which will greatly increase the amount of damage the tank on Firebrand takes. This armor debuff can be healed through rather easily on SM but it cannot be healed through on HM. Most guilds employ a tank strategy to get passed this mechanic. However, it is actually unnecessary. There are two other ways to avoid the armor debuff without tank swapping:

1. Have a melee dps with a taunt take the incinerate armor debuff and have the firebrand tank taunt when the dps receives the debuff.
2. Have the tank on Stormcaller taunt and take he debuff and have the firebrand tank taunt when the stormcaller tank gets the debuff.

I find either of these two strategies more efficient than tank-swapping.

BlastingGravy's Avatar


BlastingGravy
08.01.2012 , 11:53 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by bbare View Post
1. Have a melee dps with a taunt take the incinerate armor debuff and have the firebrand tank taunt when the dps receives the debuff.
2. Have the tank on Stormcaller taunt and take he debuff and have the firebrand tank taunt when the stormcaller tank gets the debuff.

I find either of these two strategies more efficient than tank-swapping.
This seems less efficient to me, for several reasons.

Both of these methods require more coordination than tank swapping because you have to taunt before incinerate armor begins casting. If you accidentally wait too long, you're screwed, and you'll have to swap anyway.

Both guardians and vanguards get bonuses for using their leaps. Guardians get focus, and vanguards get two free explosive surges, both of which improve their DPS.

Tank swapping improves threat generation on both tanks, since taunts give you 130% of the current highest threat.
Official My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Guild
Help spread love and tolerance across the galaxy.
Guild HQ | Guild Thread | Forum
Pinkiepi: Shield Specialist Vanguard

bbare's Avatar


bbare
08.01.2012 , 12:32 PM | #3
I disagree.

1. It takes minimal coordination to tell the dps to taunt a few seconds after DD.

2. By the time incinerate armor casts the first time, threat is not going to be an issue for the tanks.

Jazra's Avatar


Jazra
08.01.2012 , 01:31 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by bbare View Post
As many know, on the Firebrand and Stormcaller fight, firebrand will cast a spell called "incinerate armor" which will greatly increase the amount of damage the tank on Firebrand takes. This armor debuff can be healed through rather easily on SM but it cannot be healed through on HM. Most guilds employ a tank strategy to get passed this mechanic. However, it is actually unnecessary. There are two other ways to avoid the armor debuff without tank swapping:

1. Have a melee dps with a taunt take the incinerate armor debuff and have the firebrand tank taunt when the dps receives the debuff.
2. Have the tank on Stormcaller taunt and take he debuff and have the firebrand tank taunt when the stormcaller tank gets the debuff.

I find either of these two strategies more efficient than tank-swapping.

We've been using the first method for many weeks now and it's worked perfectly for us. We usually have one if not two PT dps in our raids with one being assigned the job to taunt as soon as the Incinerate Armor starts casting. He does just about the same thing, positioning wise, that the Double Destruction soakers do, which is jump in front of the tank. As soon as the the Incinerate Armor debuff is cast on our PT dps taunter, the FB tank taunts back and the taunter goes back to his position with the rest of the dps on FB's side.
Really the only thing to worry about is if the tank taunts back fast enough from the dps taunter. Because while casting Incinerate Armor, the taunter takes at least one hit, which is fine, but taking a second after the debuff goes off is a one shot. So as long as you have speedy taunters, that are quick on their feet, it's a very easy and simply solution to get around tank swapping.
Cali Killed Nox
World Progression Raiding

Thrills - Operative Healer
Website Stream

Anysao's Avatar


Anysao
08.01.2012 , 01:34 PM | #5
There are no such thing as "spells" in swtor...

Other then that, I think the tank swap is only useful when storm caller has DD, on tank, if DPS didn't jump I the way fast enough.
Ooh! In Elder Scrolls Online, I get magic spells and colossal PvP! That sounds cool, but one question, where do I get a lightsaber?
Want to get a lightsaber, too? Click this text for a free trial run of The Old Republic. Returning player? No problem! Join today!

BlastingGravy's Avatar


BlastingGravy
08.01.2012 , 02:01 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by bbare View Post
1. It takes minimal coordination to tell the dps to taunt a few seconds after DD.
Minimal is still greater than zero, but I suppose the difference is negligible.

I still prefer switching for the increased damage, since there are no benefits to avoiding the switch.
Official My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Guild
Help spread love and tolerance across the galaxy.
Guild HQ | Guild Thread | Forum
Pinkiepi: Shield Specialist Vanguard

Jazra's Avatar


Jazra
08.01.2012 , 02:17 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by BlastingGravy View Post
Minimal is still greater than zero, but I suppose the difference is negligible.

I still prefer switching for the increased damage, since there are no benefits to avoiding the switch.

I think the reason people avoid the switch is due to the fact that if there is a mess up whether it be due to quickness of tanks, tab targeting, or whatever it may be, there is a greater risk of wiping the raid, mainly from cleaves. But I can also see how that wouldn't be something to worry about if your groups stand on the outsides of the tanks.
Our groups stand on the inside for ease of cross healing for the DD soakers and the few people on the ground. It might be better for your group to tank swap. For others, dps taunt. As long as it's killed at the end of the night, right?
Cali Killed Nox
World Progression Raiding

Thrills - Operative Healer
Website Stream

wetslampigduex's Avatar


wetslampigduex
08.01.2012 , 02:26 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Anysao View Post
There are no such thing as "spells" in swtor...

Other then that, I think the tank swap is only useful when storm caller has DD, on tank, if DPS didn't jump I the way fast enough.
just my opinion here but your Lazy tank should move DD on to the dps that way there is no excuses and your dps just dps's

Jazra's Avatar


Jazra
08.01.2012 , 02:33 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by wetslampigduex View Post
just my opinion here but your Lazy tank should move DD on to the dps that way there is no excuses and your dps just dps's
I don't agree with this, your dps should move in front of the tank, that way it ensures that the correct dps get the DD, rather than the tank move it in front of the group and risk a healer getting it or something. That also removes the concerns of your tank not turning SC back into place fast enough and risk cleaving the raid.
Cali Killed Nox
World Progression Raiding

Thrills - Operative Healer
Website Stream

Typeslice's Avatar


Typeslice
08.01.2012 , 02:45 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by bbare View Post
As many know, on the Firebrand and Stormcaller fight, firebrand will cast a spell called "incinerate armor" which will greatly increase the amount of damage the tank on Firebrand takes. This armor debuff can be healed through rather easily on SM but it cannot be healed through on HM. Most guilds employ a tank strategy to get passed this mechanic. However, it is actually unnecessary. There are two other ways to avoid the armor debuff without tank swapping:

1. Have a melee dps with a taunt take the incinerate armor debuff and have the firebrand tank taunt when the dps receives the debuff.
2. Have the tank on Stormcaller taunt and take he debuff and have the firebrand tank taunt when the stormcaller tank gets the debuff.

I find either of these two strategies more efficient than tank-swapping.
We've always done it wih a dps / off tank taking the IA. All you have to do is focus target the other tank and wait for him to finish casting DD.
Xaph'an / A'baddon - GM of Undercon
The Shadowlands
http://undercon.guildlaunch.com